Am I missing any lights?

c8f52e78f6561508912172914b408e49.jpg

I hope the image has posted ok. Last night I had a loss of power whilst joining the motorway but no signs of a fault. It felt like the car went into limp mode but I had no warning lights.

I've looked at the dash on turning the ignition on, see picture, and I can't see a check engine light.

My question is, am I missing any lights from the cluster?

Your dash display is identical to mine as soon as you switch on.

Looks like it is diesel from the glow lamp on the display. In my experience I have never had a light come on when the engine has gone into limp-home mode due to sticky turbo vanes - the most common cause. 

You can reset the limp mode by turning off the ignition and restarting the engine after a couple of seconds (while stationary of cause or you may accidentally engage the steering lock!). Limp mode is caused by turbo overboost which in turn is usually caused by sticky turbo vanes; typically happens when pulling hard at over 3000rpm

In my case, I had the turbo taken off and cleaned professionally under a warranty for second hand cars.

Many posts and threads on here so search for limp mode and Mr Muscle treatment.

• Like 1

Looks like it is diesel from the glow lamp on the display. In my experience I have never had a light come on when the engine has gone into limp-home mode due to sticky turbo vanes - the most common cause. 

Rev counter suggests diesel too.  I have only ever *once* seen the a light flash when the car went into limp (can't remember what light it was now), but for the numerous other times, there have been no dash lights.  However the game is given away by the obvious lack of performance!

• Like 1

It's an over boost problem I have a MkI Octy that does it just turn ignition of and back on and it clears it. Just haven't got round to getting veins on turbo cleaned yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

You are quite right, it is a turbo diesel. When the power dropped the engine revs were over 3000 then it dropped power as if the turbo had stopped/slowed and it was fine after stopping the engine. Looks like it may well be the over boost issue, thank you all for your help. I'll search as suggested to see what's involved.

It looks like I maybe taking the cluster out to check for dud bulbs as well.

Edited by Richiejh

Yes you eml should be under your traction control light

MkI TDI Octavia doesn't have a CEL, the glowplug light serves that purpose instead.

Limp mode caused by an over boost tends not to bring a light on. It didn't in my old car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I can't find the mr muscle guide, plenty of references to it though. Can any of you kind peeps link to it as even when searching for the full title I can't find it. A friend has said his octy flashes the glow plug light for some engine faults so maybe I don't have a CEL?

I can't find the mr muscle guide, plenty of references to it though. Can any of you kind peeps link to it as even when searching for the full title I can't find it. A friend has said his octy flashes the glow plug light for some engine faults so maybe I don't have a CEL?

I think Lofty's Mr Muscle guide is in General Guides.

Your car does not have a CEL.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It looks like I maybe taking the cluster out to check for dud bulbs as well.

These are LEDs so the chance of any bulb failing is next to zero.  The TDI doesn't have a specific Check Engine Light. instead it tends to use the glowplug light instead.  This should flash on very quickly when your first turn the ignition off.

Link to guide: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Abriskoda.net+Mr+Muscle+VNT+Turbo+Treatment

Edited by mbames

• 2 weeks later...