Leaking Steering Rack

I seem to have a small leak on my passenger side rack. The gaiter is full of steering fluid and has started dripping on my driveway in small amounts. I've seen gaiter replacements but I suspect this would just mask to on going of issue of why the rack is leaking it's fluid.

Does anyone know how much parts and labour would be for a swap out? I haven't got a clue about prices and I'm guess this can't be done on the drive way on axle stands?

Thanks.

I seem to have a small leak on my passenger side rack. The gaiter is full of steering fluid and has started dripping on my driveway in small amounts. I've seen gaiter replacements but I suspect this would just mask to on going of issue of why the rack is leaking it's fluid.

Does anyone know how much parts and labour would be for a swap out? I haven't got a clue about prices and I'm guess this can't be done on the drive way on axle stands?

Thanks.

It can be done, you need to support the body and powertrain and drop the subframe so you can remove the rack, I did it on a Bora in the summer, the subframe bolts were really fecking tight, I left the wishbones attached and just unbolted the ball joints from the struts, then I just slid the subframe and wishbone assembly out, swapped the rack and put it all back together.

It's a horrible job IMO. Can be awkward and messy with the power steering pipes and fluid.

Most bolts can be inaccessible in awkward stupid places.

I'd quote between £100 and £150 really :/

I agree, it's not fun or quick, the Bora job was made more difficult when a bolt holding the dogbone sheared and also a bolt for the droplink, had to drill them out and retap them, much easier with the whole subframe out in the open though. Didn't have a problem with fluid though, just tied the pipes up in the engine bay. Broke two 22mm sockets trying to get the subframe bolts undone, ended up using an ancient 7/8" Williams socket, made in Sheffield, that didn't break!

Snap to the post above. Mine occurred on my VRS out of the blue. After a week or two it was just pouring out so I had the rack replaced. Not the cheapest of things but there are some decent places for recons circa £175. Budget 3 hours labour = £350ish