Ahhhh, she's so lovely....still in love with my old girl...

I hear you brother. Since I got my remap remapped I'm loving it. Mines only done 70k on a 53 plate. Don't think I will ever get rid of it. Monetary value will be nothing, especially compared to how much I like it by the time I get rid, so why get rid? Might start collecting them lol. I'll probably just keep gradually modding it and it will probably end up as my fun 2nd car, but not for a good few years yet!

I'm in agreement about the love people have for their Octavias.  I too was smitten for a long time and only got rid because of the need to fit three children in the rear - that was a sad day indeed....

Anyway, I'm wondering what it is that endears the car to people?  I know there's the practical aspect, mixed with the performance (after a remap that is) and the running costs aren't too bad either. 

However, these are practical, measurable factors that can be found in many other cars on the road.  What does the Mk1 have that say the Mk2 doesn't? 

Certainly compared to the mk2 the mk1 is a better looking car imo. But having drove a mk2 it was most probably better in every department. Better interior,suspension was better, better stereo too! But it was missing something. I didnt feel part of it as it was probably too refined. The mk1 has a balance between still being a comfy car but still feeling and hearing things. But now they're not fetching much money newer cars don't offer quite enough of anything to tempt me to swap it. A mk2 for example to me isn't worth getting into say 4k of debt.

• Like 1

Its character init, there's nothing sterile about it and they don't seem that generic despite there being a lot of them around. I think these have more character than vee dubs and Seats of the same era as well. Its a more involving drive than my last car (Toledo V5). Yes they could be more refined, more gadgets as standard and have a firmer ride but I still love it. Went to Swansea and back today, about 3 hour round trip quietly smiling to myself.

Also, every now and again certain cars come around that have a kind of cult following, that if you're a driver who knows then you have one. I think of Saab turbos, older quattros, the Corrado, 325i...sometimes they get too popular which kind of ruins it, or they get too refined and lose their character, not the mk I VRS it seems. Don't get me wrong, I like the newer versions of the Octy and the other cars, and I'll probably get one next. Just need to make sure I've got garage space for the mk I!

• Like 1

Less is more though sometimes. One of the reasons I like the car IS the fact its fairly basic as its less things to go wrong. I look at some of these cars made today with keyless entry (which is already causing issues btw ) cars reversing themselves into parking spaces and all these other fancy gadgets and think when those cars are 10 or 15 years old like my octavia is now its gonna be an absolute nightmare!! Cars are going to be written off maybe because of a couple of sensors knacked.

^^ True that, I'm not a fan of these warning systems, sensors and buzzers that take the common sense and thinking out of driving. Just about the ONLY one I'm thankful for is the left lights on buzzer, and mine has an intermittent fault! But do you know what? I can forgive her for that. I do miss cruise control, but that's probably better suited to an NA car anyway because it would probably kill economy in a turbo, but I can live without it. I'm enjoying being more involved with the car and having to think about fuel use, average speed etc.

Nice mate, she's fine!

You're too kind Sir! Thank you. I just can't believe how old she is now and how many miles she has done - as I say, when I drive her she does not feel anything like a car this old and leggy.

As others have said, there's just a certain something about these Mk. 1's which many other cars don't have.

It's not just snow that it likes, when I first bought it I went from a variety of company cars including a tdi mondo (05plate) a 53 plate primera (butt ugly) etc. The biggest thing I noticed is how well it deals with heavy standing water on motorway, so much more stable than anything else I have ever driven. (A lot). I will never go back to fwd, maybe rwd for a fun car but daily has to be Quattro from now on.

Snow with 4x4 is fun, throw in winter tyres as well and you find you never worry about the weather again.

Edited by karlbar2k

That's interesting, cheers for that.

It's a shame they didn't do an Octy VRS 4x4 or I would have had one of those! My friend has a Mk. 1 Audi TT with Haldex 4wd....she says similar to you, she does a lot of motorway miles for work, and reckons that it's brilliant in soaking wet motorways with lots of standing water.

Is your Octy 4x4 the same Haldex system as the TT?

And don't worry, for the winter and the snow, I have this to play in:

post-65108-0-13007900-1414523325_thumb.jpg

yes the haldex is universal across the golf/bora/leon(Europe only)/TT/S3/A3/Octavia the octavia 4x4 actually shares the same floor pan as the r32.  Not the components though,  that would be awesome :D

I also use Gtechniq G1 so when the rain starts to come down and everyone slows down I just sail past in the outside lane :D