2260 first experience....

alex_e3

Well, I picked the motor up tonight from having its custom made side-exit Longlife exhaust done (updates to follow soon enough in my project thread). I was a bit nervous about driving it at first due to having just fitted the turbo amongst other things. However, I'd double and triple checked for leaks (ask Kev!) just to be sure we were good to go.

For now, Kev made a guess at the actuator position based on his experiences with the 1756. He's definitely not far off though, as when I put my foot down....  holy **** the car has been completely transformed!!! Genuinely, I cannot believe the difference between this and the PD150 hybrid. It pulls and pulls and pulls - just doesn't stop!

The car is also only currently running a base map for the 2260 and 4 bar map sensor, so didn't want to go too crazy just yet. So the map will be starting to get tweaked by John this weekend. The map that's currently on there is so much more drivable than my old one though, as it's massively smooth and progressive... ending up in just savagery!

I must point out that this was also on the low boost map that John sent me....   The mind boggles as to what it's going to be like when it's running even more boost with a more refined map :D

One extremely happy person here :)

So if anyone is on the fence about upgrading to a GTB series turbo....  DO IT!!!

• Like 3

They are good indeed.  I am also running a "low boost" map and even at 1.5 bar it was quick, now at 2.0 bar and it's still bloody quick.  Going to be awesome when it's wound up to 2.8 bar.

It's amazing how easy it is to hit the limiter.  I hit mine today - Think I need it raised another 100 or 200 revs....  

• Like 1

Really can't fault the 3rd generation VNT diesel turbos. :)

if your on a budget fit a GTB2260 on stock nozzles, far better all round than the GTB1756vk and the cost difference is around £100 off Xman

just make sure you fit a 3" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust system to allow the turbo to breath 

just make sure you fit a 3" downpipe and 2.5" exhaust system to allow the turbo to breath

Why make sure you fit a 3 inch dp? Presuming you've got evidence its required?

As the outlet on the 2260 is 2.5inch, so is the flange supplied by xman.

Long life dealer that's just built Alex's exhaust has said 2.5inch dp and system is plenty big enough :)

Anyone read up on air velocity through a pipe and the theory of Mach 0.4 being the highest speed before restriction comes into play?

No! :)

But spill the beans if you have please :)

Guys who are considering it - take it from me, you definitely need to go down this route!! It really is awesome :)   Steve you won't be disappointed. it knocks the socks off the hybrids. Drives more like a turbo petrol motor now. Obviously half of this is down to John's awesome mapping too - and he's not even finished with it!

Southy you need to get it sorted lad ;)

if your on a budget fit a GTB2260 on stock nozzles, far better all round than the GTB1756vk and the cost difference is around £100 off Xman

All misunderstandings aside Silky ;)  , Xman said that I needed to fit a 2.75" downpipe. However, the flange provided is only 2.5" in diameter! Plus as Kev said, the turbo outlet is also 2.5". So as long as there's no restrictions in the pipework, 2.5" will be fine.

As for 3", the guy at Longlife exhausts (also called Kev!) showed me that a 3" pipe physically won't fit because of the downpipe's stud pattern on the turbo.

I definitely agree that the 2260 is the way to go though, having driven both Dan and Kev's 1756's. Unless of course you definitely don't want any more than 240bhp - then there's sort of no point.

I need a diff now! Steve I'm very envious of your Quaife right about now!!

• Like 2

I was running a PD150 hybrid with 219bhp proven previously.

As for now, it's unknown currently. It feels MASSIVELY faster though! I'm still on a base map at the minute - actuator screw isn't even set up properly yet, plus currently on low boost map. So I'm very excited to see what it will be like when it's all tweaked. Will hopefully be setting the actuator properly with Kev this weekend, then I'll be doing logs and sending to John for him to start tweaking the maps. Then it's just a case of more logging etc.. until we're both happy.

I'm going to have to get my mapping sorted asap!  Just wound out the stopscrew a half turn so the turbo is boosting better lower down.  It's still going to be a late surger like you would expect on a big turbo on a small engine application. :)

Smoke levels are already very good it's worth pointing out. Saying this, the side-exit system definitely helps. No trailing vortex to swirl it all around!!

Jason, mine can't be far off already I think, as it's very progressive and really pulls hard up top. It feels like it goes up a notch when it gets to the higher revs though. Really takes off! It is however still very drivable as a daily :)

• Like 1