It's On My Driveway! Random additions.

KBPhoto

After many months searching, I have finally landed a Yeti on my driveway. Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and guidance along the way. This is the end result taken from an angle I always like the Yeti from:

post-59543-0-80591200-1414445408_thumb.jpg

It's going to be a project as there are quite a few things I want to do to it. If I waited to find the exact spec I wanted, I doubt I would ever have bought a Yeti.

So, in no particular order, here are some of the modifications that I will be documenting here:

DAB Columbus;
VAG shark fin for GPS, GSM, FM & DAB (on order);
Skoda tow bar and 13 pin wiring (on order);
Front parking sensors;
New badges (with new logos) to replace the ones with 'white worm'; Badges now fitted to front, rear and alloys. Looks much better!
Touch up minor scratches and a few stone chips;
Seal glass and plastic with Gtechniq products (awaiting warm, dry day); Now done, and well worth it!
Wash, polish and wax. Needs second coat of wax, but that will be after I get the stone chips on rear doors sorted.

I'm sure there is a few things that I've missed, but I'll add this in when I remember.

It'll be a slow project all with genuine VAG parts as far as possible and I hope to be able to add as many pictures as possible during the process.

Hope you like it - I actually saw another Steel Grey Yeti today. They seem to be quite rare...

• Like 3

Thank you. They are nowhere near your level of mods though (which are an inspiration), but my insurance company seem quite happy with my first few (Columbus & towbar) and haven't charged any extra.

• Like 1

It looks good Karl. I shall have to pop up sometime and have a nosey round it .

If it's on the driveway I'm probably at home. Feel free to drop by, I might even be polishing it with your DA!

Get the Brisky sticker in so I know it's you I'm driving past! :)

As soon as I've cleaned the glass I'll be putting a Brisky sticker in. Probably going for the driver's side boot window. Keep your eyes out for me; I've never had a 'Spotted' before...

• Like 1

First modifications completed:

post-59543-0-10331000-1414579592_thumb.jpg

And Philips Bluevision W5W bulbs fitted in the front interior lights. Much whiter and slightly brighter than standard bulbs (and a lot cheaper than LED bulbs!)

EDIT: Should add that I followed the information in this thread (thanks to aerofurb and others) and did not remove the sunglasses holder. I also discovered that despite having the sunroof, the two little 'cats's eye' LED's are on and shine onto the rear view mirror. Will investigate more...

• Like 1

The colour is growing on me as it's not quite as dark as I first thought.

I did see one other Steel Grey Yeti in the county recently. But only one.

• Like 1

Managed to grab an hour or so to change the front & rear badges. Both the original green ones had white worm and I factored replacements into the discount from the asking price of the car.

Thanks to Silbury Skoda (via eBay) for posting them out within about an hour of my ordering them! Great service.

Here's the front looking naked!

post-59543-0-55357300-1414678554_thumb.jpg

And resplendent in new livery:

post-59543-0-73053400-1414678625_thumb.jpg

Part number: 5J0853621AUL

The secret seems to be sufficient heat from a hairdryer and Tardis / WD40 to remove the glue. I used a broad plastic trim removal tool with plenty of tape padding on the chrome trim to ensure no damage.

• Like 2

The back was easier initially as the badge has very little contact with the sticky pad (look at the rings on the black pad to see where it makes contact). Getting the pad off was fairly painless with some heat. The remaining glue came off very easily with Tardis.

post-59543-0-44449900-1414678915_thumb.jpg post-59543-0-84463600-1414678948_thumb.jpg post-59543-0-97885500-1414678964_thumb.jpg

Part number: 5L0853621AAUL

Wheel centres are on order from Skodateile (along with several other things) for €14 (c.£11) a set! And hopefully a Pastybadge to stick over the steering wheel logo will complete the set as I cannot justify a Citigo steering wheel cover (without the silver smile) for about £50+.

• Like 2

Happy for you Karl. You won't be disappointed and you've made a great choice in motor.

Your gonna have some fun this winter!

Look forward to seeing your detailing work.

• Like 1

Just waiting for the last few detailing items to arrive and me making a decision on which pad(s) to use with DoDo Juice Lime Prime (I think that's all it will need, but I'm no expert).

If the paintwork is in good condition I'd use a finishing pad ,as limeprime contains some abrasives anyway. Unless you went for the lite version of course.

Decided not to go for the Lite version after seeing the paintwork properly as there is some evidence of swirl marks, but not too bad IMO (not that I have much experience).

My plan is to go straight to Lime Prime and see how that cleans them up. If not, I'll decide whether to use a proper polish or just leave it for this year and start again in Spring.

Should I get a basic set: http://liquidelementsuk.co.uk/collections/krystal-kleen-detail/products/polishing-pads-set and use the White one for now.

Or get one of these http://liquidelementsuk.co.uk/collections/polishing-pads/products/v1-polishing-pad-ag3-150mm and buy more as and when I need them?

I've got something else to order from Liquid Elements hence going to their website. But am open to better suggestions.

Decided not to go for the Lite version after seeing the paintwork properly as there is some evidence of swirl marks, but not too bad IMO (not that I have much experience).

My plan is to go straight to Lime Prime and see how that cleans them up. If not, I'll decide whether to use a proper polish or just leave it for this year and start again in Spring.

Should I get a basic set: http://liquidelementsuk.co.uk/collections/krystal-kleen-detail/products/polishing-pads-set and use the White one for now.

Or get one of these http://liquidelementsuk.co.uk/collections/polishing-pads/products/v1-polishing-pad-ag3-150mm and buy more as and when I need them?

I've got something else to order from Liquid Elements hence going to their website. But am open to better suggestions.

uh oh, you'll be on detailing world next . Graham will be along in a minute to tell you his car gets washed every 6 months whether it needs it or not  :D

uh oh, you'll be on detailing world next . Graham will be along in a minute to tell you his car gets washed every 6 months whether it needs it or not :D

DW's far too 'technical' for me...

I don't think I'll be turning into ChrisRS anytime soon.

One of the reasons I'm going to give it a good going over is so that I don't feel compelled to drag out all the cleaning stuff every month and can do a 'quick' wash and top up if it's been sealed and waxed properly to start with.

At least that's my thinking...

• Like 2

Is that the 2 bucket method graham? :-)

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

Probably. One for the left hand side and one for the right.  :notme:

Mind you the rain today has washed most of it off anyway, so I think I'll leave it for now.

Following an email today it is going to be even muckier, as I'm now doing radio on the Recce Day in Gartheiniog as well.