Working a skoda yeti

Treeskoda

Hi everyone

I am new to the forum and I was hoping you could help me decide whether I am making the right choice. I am a freelance tree surgeon/forester I mainly travel down country roads and forest tracks, sometimes quite rough! I carry a good boot full of gear, saws, climbing kits etc probably around 150 to 200 kg. I have 3 kids also so would like to be able to accommodate them if required. We have our family car also but now and again it would be useful to be able to take them on school runs etc. I also now and again need to pull 1.5tons (not too heavy) The obvious choice I know is a pick up I.e hilux, l200 etc but after owning a few and test driving am amarok whilst my caddy was getting serviced the other day I still believe they are big heavy trucks which are expensive to run, and unless you need the benefit of extra off road performance or carrying extra weight then really they are a bit big for what I need.

I like the yeti and with a decent set of tyres fitted to a set of 16 x 7 steel wheels I think it could do everything I need it to. Is there a model (obviously a 4x4 model) that is better equipped for off roading I.e one with extra suspension lift or an off road button? Or are there any mods that are known to aid a more rugged lifestyle.

Thanks

Andrew

You'll find the 'outdoor' diesel for a family and all the kit a 'compact' situation but otherwise a great driver compact crossover.

It's quite heavy and bluff fronted aero means relatively ordinary economy at speed....but a delight on B roads in particular.

The ability to remove any or all rear seats is a big feature and if size is acceptable for your need and if you can claim business expenses as well, it would be difficult to think of anything, car like, better.

The Yeti is a VERY capable family vehicle and a good workhorse.

Last year one of the local council trucks got stuck in the local park as their wheels were unable to gain traction on the muddy grass.

I lept at the chance to show off the Yeti's prowess and ability, only to hear both the council men say "You'll never be able to pull us off with your yeti as our truck is too big and heavy.

The Yeti did it with ease, much to the total surprise and delight of the council men.

Pics are below.   :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum Treeskoda.   :yes:

post-57830-0-13971700-1414479186_thumb.jpg

post-57830-0-88889000-1414479199_thumb.jpg

They are a good all round car.

I've used mine as a daily, light offroading car and tow vehicle.

Personally I'd go for the bigger power output diesel engined version (170bhp 4x4) in Outdoor trim or pre-facelift model as it doesn't have painted lowers to scratch.

This model also comes with the larger front brakes that the lower powered versions don't.

The only issues I could see are boot space and ground clearance on the nose of the vehicle.

The boot is a little small (it's why the car is only 4.2m long) so you won't get much in unless you drop the back seats or take them out.

The nose of the car sticks out, so the approach angle is worse than the rear.

I've had quite a few cars, but the Yeti is probably the best all round car I've come across, and it's a lot easier to park than a big 4x4 so I find it more suitable for family use/car parks etc...

Plus it's quick, fun and can tow 2,000kg+ if you get the right model.

After 37k miles of abuse over two and a half years, it's also been surprisingly reliable.

Other than one instance due to a service technician error it's been 100% faultless, I've not even had to change a bulb yet.

It's not had an easy life...

8cqt.jpg

jacksm.jpg

• Like 2

Agree with all the above. The Yeti is a very capable car. Make sure that all your children can sit comfortably and there is enough room for all the associated gear and clutter.

Andy

I think its an excellent car. The big factor that stopped me getting one and getting the Forester instead was the small boot, when you have a spare wheel (which I wouldn't be without). The seats being removable is a big plus, though.

Another vote for the 170 4x4. Boot space & ground clearance would be the main issues to consider. Tree stumps and deep ruts would stop you before the haldex system let you down. As for load space you just have to stack upwards, and it's surprising how much you can fit in.

I was doing that job 30 years ago, and we used a Granada estate for a while - it's amazing how well it managed, though 4x4 would have come in handy! This was the wagon of choice at the time, though the Yeti is a lot more comfortable, and would have got most places we went in this (the mug in the middle is me).

post-80615-0-75178500-1414506330_thumb.jpg

The Yeti would be great for you, I do however share the concerns of others about the size of the boot.

If you are carrying lots of gear regularly you don't really want to be stacking upwards as that will guarantee that what you want is always at the bottom!

As others have said though the Yeti has a neat trick whereby you can remove the rear seats making it quite a sizeable two seater load-lugger. The seats can be put back in for the occasional school run you mention if not needed too regularly (they are quite heavy and ungainly to be removing and refitting daily).

Another good option is the Octavia Scout - the boot is cavernous! If you go for a facelift model (post 2009) you'll get the same Haldex 4x4 system as the Yeti together with the all important raised ride height. Better still (if the budget allows) is the all new MkIII Octavia with the very latest Haldex system, but in my opinion they are overpriced, to a point I daren't take it offroad which kind of defeats the object.

Here is my pre-facelift (Haldex Gen II) Scout. I'd happily have a Yeti if the boot was as big but then it wouldn't be a Yeti!

IMG_12975.jpg

Mine has never done this though...

skoda_octavia_scout_01.jpg

Skoda-Octavia-Scout-4x4-1-600.jpg

You should squeeze a few jerry cans and chain saws in here...

car_photo_523099.jpg?itok=FDfRk1qf

• Like 1

Before I bought my Yeti 18 months ago I spoke to several owners including one of the foresters on the Goodwood estate, so a similar line of work to yourself I guess. He told me the estate had by then had them long enough to give them a good trial and his view was that although they couldn't get everywhere the Land Rovers could, they could get to pretty much anywhere on the estate they needed to and they were very impressed with them. The Goodwood estate is on the south Downs and although there are some "proper" roads running across it there are also a lot of rough tracks they use for bringing timber out and many of these have pretty steep climbs and descents so they weren't getting an easy life.

• Like 1