Interesting guide about 1.4tsi fundamental design problems

brilliant , thankyou!

most of this has been discussed on here at some point, but its nice to have all the information in a thread like this!! I have CTHE, and no real problems, but STILL plug failure (at 25k) .... these have been replaced (with the same!, I HAVE complained to skoda about this, as they know its a fault) BUT at the next 10k service, i will be having NGK7's in , as per the recomendations of the above thread (and many others) , my garage is happy with this, shame they wouldn'tput them in at the warrenty work, but guess they have to follow the "Rules" ..

MODS: CAN THIS PLEASE BE PINNED SO WE CAN HAVE THIS GUIDE TO EXPLAINE INHERENT ENGINE PROBLEMS IN THIS SECTION?!

Thanks again to willydog for posting :)

shark.

That is a very useful guide! I've read it before though, I think someone on here linked to it awhile back.

My favourite bit where he is discussing the various problems is "Using 95 Ron Fuel - caused by being a tight-ass" lol.

• Like 1

Excellent stuff.very useful in overview and detail.

Thanks
Great shame VAG were not so open to Owners.

Guess they would still play a dead bat, to the detailed points raised.

Most of the franchised dealerships are still kept in the dark and unable to support their Customers fully.

Similarly the Skoda and VAG Customer services are mainly useless in this regard also.

Edited by vrskeith

Guess there will still be an ongoing saga for the current vRS mk2 , post the commencement of sales in early 2015 of the unexciting,(VERY SAFE) as yet  Fabia MK3.

Edited by vrskeith

It is great that all the possible issues are compiled in one place.

& anyone can see what the issues were with the CAVE Engines 2009-2012,

then the changes 2012 to now.

With the 1,800 Fabia mk2 vRS 1.4 TSI CAVE engined cars sold in the UK, it seems to be more than 20% that have required engines replaced,

and that number is growing, but hard to find out, as some replacement engines have been replaced.

of the CTHE engines from late 2012, 1,200 or so sold in the uk, it was only a few earlier engines that failed,

& it is 2 years now since they were first supplied to customers,

but there are a few newer ones failing now.

Time is long overdue for some acknowledgement from Skoda & the Volkswagen Group on why they built so many lemons and yet still 

mess the Owner / Drivers about and pretend the ones failing are just one of those things and some failures will always happen.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Guess there will still be an ongoing saga for the current vRS mk2 , post the commencement of sales in early 2015 of the unexciting,(VERY SAFE) as yet  Fabia MK3.

Was at the supplying dealers the other day (for the car's first MOT) and one of the senior sales/business guys informed me Skoda will be releasing a sporty version of the MK3 but currently there are no details other than that. First deliveries of the new model itself are projected for sometime in February next year.

• Like 1

Nothing Secret on Skoda releasing a 'Sporty Version',

they have already told us.

Monte Carlo Spec will be available on 'All New 3rd Generation Fabia' with all engines, 1.0 - 1.2 Petrol & to 1.4 TDI with a max of 110ps.

'Sporty Looks', 'Fizz' etc etc.

http://carmagazine.co.uk/News/Search-Results/Industry-News/No-hot-vRS-version-for-new-2015-Skoda-Fabia

*1.4 TSI 132kW-180ps CAVE/DSG first in the SEAT if they ever bothered to do research.*

Releasing Warm or Hot versions are what matters,

a 1.8 TSI with about the same go as a 1.4 TSI CTHE already has will be just fine, 

Suitable components for actual Sporting Handling & Braking and some go, not just Sporty Looks would be nice.

They are giving the Good Bits to the VW Polo GTI 2015, so easily done on the 'All New Fabia'.

PS.

I wonder if there is any truth in 1.4 TSI ACT /COD engines being dropped by VW.

Or will they just Drop Them from VW / Audi & put them in Seat & Skodas.

After all, any issues or failures can just be dismissed as they did with 1.4 TSI Twinchargers for 5 years.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Looks like I have a nice shopping list then. mine has been doing great since the breather mod. Still not as i'd like but I shall give a few of these a go. anyone have any idea where I could get new fuel injectors, new pistons and strengthened oil seals?

They come ready packaged in the Replacement Engine built on the VW Production line.

'Free Gratis' thanks to Skoda, VW, Seat or Audi.

If your car is out of Warranty but needs the Breather Mod, then the engine is maybe due for replacement.

So you can take some legal actions against Skoda / VW.

The UK Courts will be very sympathetic to a Owner that has been treated badly by such a large Corporation 

that continued building and selling products they knew were faulty.

So much so they Revised them after 3 years, but did nothing about checking out the ones sold or speaking with those that purchased them..

I understand the German Government Transport & Consumer Agencies turning a blind eye, but the UK Government letting them act this way with Consumers,

is just not Cricket, or even within EU or UK laws.

Plenty of actual evidence on the Faults,

& it would be Interesting to see a Senior Skoda Executive or Engine Designer trying to defend the Product in a Court of Law.

In Australia they seemed to get a judgement in their favour only on technicalities.

They have better Lawyers than Technical Motor Engineers.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Scary only for those that have a bad one, or want to tune one possibly,

but then those wanting to tune them have surely taken on board where they stand with them.

• Like 2

I knew these engines where highly strung, but wow.

What I've concluded from that is:

• Remaps are risky
  • Changing the exhaust is risky
  • If you do have a remap, you should also change the plugs too
  • You need to boot it on a regular basis and use as much boost as possible (when safe to do so)

Or have i got that wrong?

Was considering a remap and exhaust next year but thinking otherwise now :peek:  

• Like 1

One thing you can conclude is,

some engines were & are bad.

For certain you can be sure, REVO Remaps on the 1.4TSI CAVE were pretty gash,

and even with their Spark Plug advice, you were and are best to avoid them like the plague.

Good Engine, APR Remap,

& you can be having even more smiles for miles than before.

to fair.... I have now covered more than 79,000 miles with this engine (1 CAVE 50k, current CTHE 29k) and its been fine..... the 50k in the cave was with a TMC box running 200bhp....

so they are generally fine....

I have noticed with my new one, the more gently it gets driven the more oil it uses... the harder its driven the happier it is!

it has got as much as a litre every 2,000 miles....

I haven't topped it up however at all for 4,000 miles... that included a trip to Germany , and a weekend round the ring..... where it sang with musical enthusiasm while being thrashed on a circuit known as an engine braker.... didn't use a drop on that trip.... (on its new plugs!lol) it about to get its 30k service (I do every 10k instead of variable) and I'm putting BRK7's in it ;)

• Like 2

I knew these engines where highly strung, but wow.

What I've concluded from that is:

• Remaps are risky
  • Changing the exhaust is risky
  • If you do have a remap, you should also change the plugs too
  • You need to boot it on a regular basis and use as much boost as possible (when safe to do so)
Or have i got that wrong?

Was considering a remap and exhaust next year but thinking otherwise now :peek:

Shouldn't be any issues with a catback exhaust :-)

• Like 1

There is a member currently selling a fully sorted really nice non oil burner if someone is after a good Twincharger.

In the best colour as well.

In the 'for sales'.

Edited by goneoffSKi

An interesting review of past problems with the 1.4 Twincharged engine. One can't overlook that his problems began with a 2010 version. As he suggests, VAG have made changes in the interim and his opening paragraph and  subsequent comments give an indication that he may have pushed the engine beyond its design limit.

I suspect that the most important lesson to take from Mark's review is that you should think VERY carefully before buying a used Fabia vRS!

Stating the blindingly obvious there are you not?

Are you back to rub peoples noses in it, or have you bought a Skoda yet?

His may have been a 2010.

Problems started with them from the Engines in 2009.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Stating the blindingly obvious there are you not?

Are you back to rub peoples noses in it, or have you bought a Skoda yet?

His may have been a 2010.

Problems started with them from the Engines in 2009.

Well said, George.
  • Like 1