Cornering fog lights: waste of time?

KBPhoto

Had a chance yesterday to change a few things with VCDS, one of which was to activate cornering fog lights that I thought were quite effective on a Mk2 Superb.

However I suspect the higher position of the fog lights on a Yeti seem to make this rather ineffective.

I admit it was dusk as opposed to dark, so maybe I'm missing something there.

What do you people think?

I've changed LHL/CHL to fogs which will hopefully prolong the Xenon life span a bit. That I like.

They're OK, I find them useful when turning into driveways etc in the dark.

But nowhere near as good as the ones on our other car (Mk4 Mondeo).

The fact they're predominantly forward facing lights, with only a small part of the reflector casting light sideways, limits their effectiveness I think.

Does the Yeti not have AFS, that also plays a big part with the cornering lights on the Superb as the main headlights also pointed around the corner, so there will be a difference if the Yeti does not have AFS.

My Yeti has round corner headlights which I find extremely useful. When chasing around dark hairpins at the recent Mull Rally (NOT a participant!!) I found them particularly useful. Suggested them to our rally car driver :)) Cornering fogs particularly useful in unlit countryside.

Pretty sure the Superb I was in only used fogs for cornering at slow speed and the main lights only came into it at higher speeds.

Maybe I just need to get out in the proper dark and try them again.

In my situation with the Superb, the cornering fog lights work really well. We share a private driveway with some other residents and it is generally unlit and also lined with large trees, so in the dark nights/mornings the corner lights really help to light up the side of the driveway.

But I guess in the higher position of the Yeti it could seem less effective?

I thought this too, the pre-FL Yeti foglights are mounted high, however when I once had a Yeti as a courtesey car the cornering fogs were very effective.

The dark hedgerows went from being invisible to very well illuminated.

They were quite poor on my MkII Octavia vRS (the foglights themselves weren't that bright anyway) but are now very good on my MkII Superb (low down but bright).

I still maintain that they were the most effective on the Yeti.

I have a facelift Yeti with bi-xenons (with AFS function) and cornering fogs. Where I live it's very rural with lots of unlit roads and I find the combination of AFS headlamps & cornering foglamps to be very effective - so much so that I find it very frustrating now when out at night in one of my other cars that doesn't have this function.

• Like 1

Pre FL Yetis don't have AFS. With the Xenons they do the cornering thing above a certain speed (can't remember the actual figure) and below that the fogs do the cornering function (with both fogs on when reversing).

Xenon-equipped FL Yetis you get the full McCoy AFS thing ('AFS II'?) with narrowing/widening beams with speed and rain etc and the off side lamp hunting out prey on the opposite kerb below about 30mph (this was very noticeable tonight in the mist). 

Definitely, in my humble opinion, the pre-FL cornering fogs were better than the FL - but they're still well worth it.