2l cr tdi replacement wheels and tyres.

Hi,its my first question here.

I have seen a superb 2l tdi estate  (2012) 28000 miles at a car dealers,he has just got it in and its going into their prep process soon.

I noticed the 18 inch alloy wheels have been bashed about and the tyres are fairly worn all of them,dealer told me they will be repaired/exchanged.i mentioned that i may be interested in buying it as it is as long as he gets a new mot.

I would prefer to change the wheels anyway,to 17 inch 6j with 205/50 r17 (all season tyres) inc spare.

Would changing the wheels to the smaller above size really make a difference to the car,good or bad ?. in terms of handling,noise etc,any info would be very helpful.

I live in an area with rough roads,potholes,mud,road surface missing and soft verges.so i need robust tyres and suitable wheels.

My car travel is mainly motorways at constant 70 speed for several hours with a good weight in the back,its only the roads around where i live and the farms i visit have the poor road surface,which are getting worse as the winter pulls in.

i have seen many interesting articles here re wheels and tyres,very interesting indeed.

The superb car size really suits my needs and i want one.

Thank you in advance.

Henry.

I've had no problems driving in Ireland with 17" alloys, though the previous owner kerbed them quite a lot somehow... I use my Superb to carry mountain bikes, so the car is driven on forest roads on occasion, and it seems to have more ground clearance than the Mark II Octavia I had before it, even though it's longer and has a longer wheelbase. I've got a set of OEM Octavia 16" wheels with winter tyres that will go on when the weather gets cold. 16" wheels will fit all the Superbs except the 3.6 litre one. They fit my CR170 diesel anyway.

• Like 1

yeah - you need 18's to clear the brake calipers on the v6 iirc.

as a complete aside, are there any in the country? kinda half keeping an eye out for a combi....

:)

t.

yeah - you need 18's to clear the brake calipers on the v6 iirc.

as a complete aside, are there any in the country? kinda half keeping an eye out for a combi....

:)

t.

Like hens teeth! The 170 accounts for less than 20% of Superb sales in Ireland so hard to get hold of one. Might be a few coming back in as trade-ins in the new year? I think I saw a 170 elegance with a dealer in Cork, a 142 combi, are you looking for newish model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,its my first question here.

I have seen a superb 2l tdi estate  (2012) 28000 miles at a car dealers,he has just got it in and its going into their prep process soon.

I noticed the 18 inch alloy wheels have been bashed about and the tyres are fairly worn all of them,dealer told me they will be repaired/exchanged.i mentioned that i may be interested in buying it as it is as long as he gets a new mot.

I would prefer to change the wheels anyway,to 17 inch 6j with 205/50 r17 (all season tyres) inc spare.

Would changing the wheels to the smaller above size really make a difference to the car,good or bad ?. in terms of handling,noise etc,any info would be very helpful.

I live in an area with rough roads,potholes,mud,road surface missing and soft verges.so i need robust tyres and suitable wheels.

My car travel is mainly motorways at constant 70 speed for several hours with a good weight in the back,its only the roads around where i live and the farms i visit have the poor road surface,which are getting worse as the winter pulls in.

i have seen many interesting articles here re wheels and tyres,very interesting indeed.

The superb car size really suits my needs and i want one.

Thank you in advance.

Henry.

If the wheels are that bashed up at 28K miles, you begin to wonder how the rest of the car has been treated.  I would not worry about the 18s, I live in Rural dorset and drove my MK2 Superb with 18s up and down farm tracks and pot holed country roads with no problems at all. I am doing the same now with my Audi on 19s and its just fine as well.

• Like 1

ah i have the 170 4x4 - would be interested in  a 3.6 :)

Even rarer so. I've never seen one here and don't know if anyone has ever been brave enough to purchase one!!  I have noticed the 3.6 is now on the Irish price list but at €50K+ for a combi along with our penal taxes I don't think we will see too many which is a pity as that V6 purr is just fantastic :)  UK import is the only way to go but with they are in high there too so might be a struggle.

You can also fit 225/45 18 onto the 18" rims, which would give you a bit of extra comfort.

Be prepared for some extra cost if you go down this route - I was quoted an extra €70 per tyre to move from 40 to 45 profile, presumably because they are not that popular.

As the dealer has offered to refurbish the 18's before selling the car let him do it, unless he is willing to discount the screen price if you take them as they are.

Then sell them on here or eBay etc. The 18 inch Thermisto alloys are always in demand so you could easily make a tidy profit. The problem is they are polished (diamond cut) so on older cars they quickly begin to delaminate and look scruffy, especially if kerbed.

The recommended 17 inch alloys for the MkII Superb are the Triffid (non-polished), these come fitted as standard to the SE and SE Plus. You can buy them brand new from a Skoda dealer but they aren't cheap, however they do come up for sale used on eBay from time to time...

Trifid.jpg

I specifically went for these alloys for ride comfort but more importantly for protection against potholes.

I came from an Octavia vRS with 18" alloys and low profile tyres and got caught out in the dark winter months a few times when dropping into pot holes.

Tyres are cheaper too.

Hi there, new to this forum but here goes. All season tyres are great, I have them on my current A4 on 16", but the thing with this is you're going to use them in winter as well, so if you can get 17" that's better as you've dropped a size.

I just read this in the last week, http://wintertyrereviews.co.uk/steel-or-alloy-for-your-winter-wheels-and-tyres/  seemed quite useful and I may go for a winter set with my next car. But I also think one of the comments has to be taken seriously, if the wheels have been battered at 28K miles, then what's the owner done to the rest of it?

Good luck with your purchase

Jon

I don't think 18" wheels are suitable for our pot-holed roads so after suffering them for three years swapped my original 18" Luxons for 17" Wolfrace Eurosport Turismos with 225/45/R17 Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2 91Y's - all supplied by Rochford Tyres (www.alloywheels.com).

My Superb is coming up to it's 3rd birthday at the end of November - and hence it's first MOT. The existing 18" tyres were almost down to the warning indicator and needed replacing so now was an obvious time to change the wheels too.

Went for a short drive and the difference was immediately apparent. Cornering is now so light yet positive, with none of the roll of before. The pressure decal inside the filler cap cover recommends the same pressures for 225/45R17's as the previous 225/40/R18's which I used to run at 2.4Bar rather than 2.2Bar owing to all the potholes in our roads so I'm using 2.4Bar again.If that seems a little hard I might drop to 2.2Bar later.

The only minor niggle is that I can't use the Skoda badges as they are slightly smaller than the holes in the wheels. Maybe there is a larger badge or an adapter? I'll research that but if anyone knows I'd appreciate feedback.

Overall, I'm delighted and recommend this conversion.

Use http://www.willtheyfit.com/ to check suitability of replacement wheels and tyres.

• Like 1

A few things to consider:

1. 205/50R17 tyres need quite narrow wheels (6 or 6.5J) for a good fit. Normally they are only used on the Superb combined with the 6Jx17 Flash alloys. After-market alloys in this dimension do not exist.

2. The easiest (and by far the cheapest) way to get robust tyres is to buy a set of 6.5(or 7)Jx16 alloys and fit them with 205/55R16 94V tyres. These are very strong, drive well and can easily handle the top speed and weight of your car. As an extra bonus they even reduce your fuel consumption (use Michelin Energy Saver+ or Dunlop Sport Bluresponse)

3. An alternative to the dimension above is 225/50R17, which is non-standard (and not recommended by Skoda), but still seems to fit well, and gives good comfort. It also reduces the deviation of your speedo to near zero.

• Like 1

Thank you,for all the replys.

I have just left the dealer,he tells me he purchased the car from an auction and its a repo from a finance company,it has 2 keys and all the paperwork so he thinks they just handed the car back.

All The wheels have large lumps of alloy missing,size of £1 coins so its been kerbed a few times,(easily done).

We discussed the wheels further and he is happy to fit 5 new wheels and tyres of my choice,so far so good.He (dealer) also suggested aftermarket alloys but i strongly disagreed so i have asked for the skoda original wheels called Flash.To be fitted with top end range all season tyres. Thank you to Andrehj for the advice.

The dealer is ok with the above,also he will get a new mot and have it serviced from a skoda garage before he puts it on sale.

So far so good  :thumbup: .