EGR Removal

battwell

Trying to take off the EGR to clean out on my fabia vrs BLT engine. I've got so far and now really cant find any other bolts to remove to take it off guess theres one underneath but so hard to get your hands around any help would be apreciated

The BLT engine has a separate ASV (anti-shudder valve) and EGR compared to the ASZ which has them combined in one unit.

Indeed they can be a pain to get to!

The EGR has 2 bolts connecting it to the inlet, then a third bolt which also passes through the ASV (the top one). The ASV has another two bolts holding it on IIRC. Remove the ASV first, and the other two bolts on the EGR will be easy enough to get to. One of the bolts on the ASV is tricky to get to, as it's buried at the bottom near the wiring loom connection. Disconnect the wiring and have a feel with your finger and you should be able to find it!

Other than that you just need to remove the two bolts holding the EGR cooler pipe on. Be careful not to drop them, or you'll be having to jack the car up and remove the undertray to dig them out like I did the first time!! :)

• Like 1

The BLT engine has a separate ASV (anti-shudder valve) and EGR compared to the ASZ which has them combined in one unit.

Indeed they can be a pain to get to!

The EGR has 2 bolts connecting it to the inlet, then a third bolt which also passes through the ASV (the top one). The ASV has another two bolts holding it on IIRC. Remove the ASV first, and the other two bolts on the EGR will be easy enough to get to. One of the bolts on the ASV is tricky to get to, as it's buried at the bottom near the wiring loom connection. Disconnect the wiring and have a feel with your finger and you should be able to find it!

Other than that you just need to remove the two bolts holding the EGR cooler pipe on. Be careful not to drop them, or you'll be having to jack the car up and remove the undertray to dig them out like I did the first time!! :)

Thank you thats perfect! Will give this a go tomorrow, never bothered to put my undertray back on so hopefully they will just fall straight out if this happens :p Thanks for that :)

• Like 1

No problem!

From your picture, the bolt hanging out is the one that goes through both the ASV and EGR. You've removed the next one. So the only one holding the ASV on is the hard to reach one by the wiring plug.

Yup thats the one i've been struggling to find but i think i know where it is but the pipe at the back kind of stops me from reaching it so will have to remove it was too tired earlier was on a night shift last night and still up lol  

Yes, the car can become hesitant and juddery

So if I were to remove the EGR and give it a good clean and then replace it as it was, which has quite an appeal to it, nothing too serious but something to test and add to my lack of mechanics:

Would the EML come on? I have read about it happening.

I have a blt engine code I assume, as it is a 2007 vRS.

JRJG