EGR definite answer?

Blanking an EGR on the PD170.

I cannot find a accurate oe definit answer anywhere.

What is the best option when it comes to an EGR delete? Do you just blank off the one pipe next to the EGR valve or are you meant to fit a EGR delete pipe?

So many different theories.

Also apart from more Nox and longer warm up times are there any cons to a EGR delete?

Thanks.

A delete pipe and blanking it off do exactly the same thing.

Putting in a delete pipe swaps the EGR valve itself for a straight pipe, and removes the connecting the exhaust manifold and the EGR valve.

You leave the EGR in place, remove that pipe, and blank the resulting hole in the manifold and the one under the EGR ad bob's your uncle.

Result is the same either way: no oxygen low exhaust fumes being put back through the engine.

Meaning cleaner a burning engine, resulting in (maybe) (slightly) more power but worse emissions.

Only potential issue with a delete pipe is that the vac pipes have to be blanked creating incorrect pressure readings to the ECU meaning a dash warning light that needs to be mapped out. The blanking method avoids this as all the pipes stay in place on the permanently open valve. Air flow may be slightly worse with a blanking v delete as the air has to pass around/through the permanently open valve rather than through a straight pipe.

As you say given that no exhaust gas is making it's way back through the system the benefit of having warm input air helping gets the engine up to temperature faster is lost but the main change is increased emissions; which given the EGR was only put in to reduce emission by burning a portion of exhaust gases twice - makes sense.

• Like 1

Brilliant I really appreciate your detailed answer!

If I was to fit a blanking plate would that not build up lots of exhaust gas pressure in the EGR pipe and eventually damage something?

Or is it perfectly fine to have it blanked?

It'll be fine, if you blank the system there is no exhaust gas in the EGR to build any pressure.

I ran my Fabia engine blanked off for 6 months without issue (other than a disintergrating poor quality gasket under the manifold blanking plate)

Okay I'm going to order a 3mm steel blanking plate to fit to the right hand side the EGR ( the metal pipe )

One last thing if you don't mind,

You have the EGR and above that the inlet manifold and to the right of the EGR you have the EGR pipe - not a problem.

But what is the black hose/pipe connected to the bottom of the EGR?

Why is there so much conflicting information on the Internet?

Is it deffo 100% safe/okay to just blank off the EGR on the pipe on the right hand side? Or does it need blanking off at a second place too?