Turbo Veins Sticking - Or are they?

Hey all, Im slowly getting to the bottom of my running issues with my car and am appreciating all the help I'm receiving. 

Ok, so since my last post, I have changed my EGR valve on the car (Skoda Oct Mk II 1.9 TDI 105 BHP Automatic) as I was having issues with that and despite changing it, i kept having running issues as follows: 

When pulling off normally from a stop, I would reach around 2000 RPM and the car was stutter/hesitate and I would get a sudden boost of turbo, the car would also stay in gear without changing to high revs then eventually change gear with a bit of throttle manipulation. Then on some journeys the car would go into limp mode if i tried to drive it with any gumption. 

Ok, so took it to my guy, he stripped the turbo off the car, cleaned it all up and released the veins as they were full of gunk. The was slight marking on the inside of the turbo where the veins had been sticking. 

Now, I don't go into limp mode (yet) BUT I am still getting weird gear changes and that hesitant type feeling intermittently at 2000 RPM. Had some weird gear changes too still. Not sure what the issue is here and its starting to get right on my tits. 

Surely someone else has had similar problems or at least knows about what is happening to my car? 

Total pain in my bum...

When you're saying have it reset, does that mean it can adopt a high rev gear change? and how would I go about getting it reset? Not really sure what a VCDS is either. Ive had it scanned and initially before the turbo was stripped it threw up an emissions workshop light and the CEL on the dash. Since the turbo being cleaned, no lights but still the weird gear changes. 

You really need to get the fault codes.

The car is able to record and log any faults that it detects. These are stored in the car's brain.

The first thing any garage will do these day's is plug their diagnostics machine into the car (a small plug above the drivers feet) to read the codes. These codes then point them to where the possible issue may be.

You can see the great many different possibilities here:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Fault_Codes

VCDS is a pieces of software and a cable that allows garages and private individuals to scan their own cars using a laptop computer. There are lots of members on here with VCDS who are willing to help read the cars fault codes. See here for the latest list:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

It seems the garage was right to clean out the turbo as it has extinguished the dash light (which in its own right will have logged as a fault), however the strange gearchanges sound to me as though the remaining issues may now be gearbox releated, another reason why you could do with getting your hands on the fault codes if possible.

Ah cheers for your replies Gents.

I managed to speak with a tech over in Skoda today, who, when I explained what is happening (was able to explain in more detail) seemed to think that he believes the car in under boosting from a possible leak in the vacuum pipes for the Turbo. Possibly a split pipe. He explained that there is a control unit on the gearbox which looks for / adjusts (not really sure what he said here) the torque produced by the engine and manages the gear changes. If the turbo (and pipes leading to and from) isn't working properly this can cause weird changes.  

Currently there are no lights on the dash and no fault codes (been checked) but the car is still running funky so, my next port of call, will be to check the vacuum pipes to see if they are holding pressure. All positive stuff and food for thought. I have something to work to and will keep you guys updated. If i find out the problem and resolve it you'll have a full update. :) Cheers and just wanted to say thanks again guys, I'm sure its annoying having someone asking the same old questions over and over. 

I managed to speak with a tech over in Skoda today, who, when I explained what is happening (was able to explain in more detail) seemed to think that he believes the car in under boosting from a possible leak in the vacuum pipes for the Turbo. Possibly a split pipe. He explained that there is a control unit on the gearbox which looks for / adjusts (not really sure what he said here) the torque produced by the engine and manages the gear changes. If the turbo (and pipes leading to and from) isn't working properly this can cause weird changes.  

Currently there are no lights on the dash and no fault codes (been checked) but the car is still running funky so, my next port of call, will be to check the vacuum pipes to see if they are holding pressure. All positive stuff and food for thought. I have something to work to and will keep you guys updated. If i find out the problem and resolve it you'll have a full update. :) Cheers and just wanted to say thanks again guys, I'm sure its annoying having someone asking the same old questions over and over. 

hi, I had a 1.9 tdi which had a similar flat spot though mine was manual and not auto, I cleaned my egr valve as it was choked up but also did the inlet manifold as that was very restricted. I removed the turbo, stripped it and cleaned it and noticed some wear marks on the plate where the vanes move on. my car was much better to drive but in hind site I should have tried to smooth out the wear marks a little as I think that was causing my flat spot. I also made a tool to hold the oil pipe union in the turbo as I undid the oil pipe as the first time I did it the whole lot turned so ended up twisting the pipe and it snapped off. that was a pricey part and a pig to fit as it is routed around the engine from the oil filter housing to the turbo. Also, maybe the vacuum pipes are going soft and collapsing or the turbo diaphragm / operating arm is sticking ??

• Like 1

This is all great stuff for me to look at guys, Im going over the garage with my pal tomorrow to have a proper look. Will take lots of pics to update you. Not sure how you upload them on here in tidy order so please bare with me!

Right ok, managed to establish today that the turbo really hasn't got much to do with why things have been crappy with the car. 

Unplug the EGR breather pipe today and found the car was running better than ever. So now I think it maybe the vacuum unit that this connects to. Need to just work out what its actually called. Any ideas anyone?