Pleasantly Surprised

That's good. Only way I could replicate that figure with that engine was cruise at 65 and a long long run in spring/autumn temps.

Normally returned mid 50s. I get mid 50s easy now with another 60ish hp and fair nicer to drive.

• Like 1

Well, there are various places that you can go on the web these days to try to find out the real fuel consumption. Honest John's site allows users to upload their own data, so the proverbial pinch of salt should be applied for the fact that there will be a mixture of maxidot figures, tank to tank figures and downright liars, but for both the 2.0TDI and 1.6TDI they are currently showing around 57mpg average. Interestingly there is a bit more spread on the 1.6 than the 2.0 (it goes lower at the bottom end as well as higher at the top end). 

72.3mpg is nowhere near either range, so if the OP really did achieve this on a reasonably fast run then fair play, you're an exceptional hyper-miler. I'd be surprised if this can be maintained over the longer term.

My last car was a 1.6TDCi Focus and I also got this above 70mpg on a 60 mile run around the M25 sitting at 60mph because it was busy and the fast lane wasn't going much better than the slow lane. The true average started out more like low 50's though and finished up 85k miles later in the mid to high 40's as the DPF filled up and the EGR valve started to arouse suspicion (the DPF on the focus actually did fill up as it used an additive that left an ash deposit that couldn't be burned off - DPF replacement due as a regular service item at 75k miles at a cost of ~£1000!!!).

You can see why I went back to petrol.

72.3mpg is nowhere near either range, so if the OP really did achieve this on a reasonably fast run then fair play, you're an exceptional hyper-miler. I'd be surprised if this can be maintained over the longer term.

I get the odd large MPG reading on the journey that I do, usually in the spring and autumn and usually in half term. The road is busy but not too busy so doing 60-70mph - the main difference is that there are no hold ups.  In my last car the best mpg for the same journey was ;

Can't really see numbers in that first picture but anything over 60mpg is pretty good going and the diesel engines are unlikely to do much less than 50mpg even driven with vigour.

Highest number I've seen on mine is 72mpg, with circa 60 mpg about the best average if driven carefully.

My wife's 1.6 TDI DSG often shows over 70mpg, although that is cruising on longer journeys on the motorway, but it does show the increased economy has improved quite a bit over the past few years.

I have a 2013 Superb Greenline FL and the best I've seen on that was 84mpg over a very steady 10 miles in 40/50mph speed limit areas, although that figure is the best I've ever seen and would take some effort to reproduce.