vRS doesn't have cruise control!?

Hi,

Just picked up an April 2014 registered Octavia vRS Estate, 5k miles on the clock.

Skoda web site says Cruise Control is standard and dealer said it is a standard option, however it doesn't have cruise control!

I'm in the process of getting hold of the dealer as I've literally just driven the thing back to the office.

If it was made in April it won't have cruise. Only became standard on cars made after week 22 (w/c May 26th). So you have a MY14 car, not a MY15 car, the brochure/website describe MY15 and your dealer is a numpty for not telling you the difference!

You can retrofit cruise easily enough though, so get them to do that.

• Like 1

Dealership initially said it wasn't worth doing as it would cost £1k when they looked at it for another customer with a Roomster ... Told him I've read others being quoted 350-400 from dealers, he called me back an hour later after having investigated to say I was right, he'll call again Monday with availability for the work. I honestly think Skoda UK should contribute something to this as their site is misleading, showing it as a standard feature.

There is nothing wrong with the Skoda UK site. You can't expect them to show spec for old models!

This is completely on your dealers shoulders given you discussed it prior to sale and they knew the car was an old model, they will foot the whole bill. I presume you are not contemplating paying anything yourself!?

I honestly think Skoda UK should contribute something to this as their site is misleading, showing it as a standard feature.

The website describes their new cars. You bought a second hand car.

If the dealer said your specific car had CC then yoy are perfectly within your rights to expect it fitted for free or a decent contribution :)

The website describes their new cars. You bought a second hand car.

If the dealer said your specific car had CC then yoy are perfectly within your rights to expect it fitted for free or a decent contribution :)

I would expect the web site to highlight a recent change.  We're not even talking about a facelift model re-launch, it's a subtle change with no official information on the one place someone would look to confirm the standard specs of a model, used or new.

I would expect the web site to highlight a recent change.  We're not even talking about a facelift model re-launch, it's a subtle change with no official information on the one place someone would look to confirm the standard specs of a model, used or new.

You mean like this PDF? https://www.dropbox.com/s/4c9ui47k5x99gpt/Skoda_MY15_Changes.pdf?dl=0

I would expect the web site to highlight a recent change. We're not even talking about a facelift model re-launch, it's a subtle change with no official information on the one place someone would look to confirm the standard specs of a model, used or new.

At the risk of repeating myself, you bought a second hand car.

With the proliferation of models, changes & options available you would always refer to the dealer selling you the car as to what your specific car has.

your car is a MY14, the brochure was printed (& on the tinternet) for that model year. The brochure available now is for the MY15, you can't expect to use that as a direct reference for the MY14.

The info is all out there, the dealer is fully aware, and should have made you aware.

All VAG models change spec on week 22 of every year, it's well known. So if you are buying a car either side of this threshold you need to make sure you know the spec.

I've looked over the Skoda site and couldn't find an announcement of changes, is this linked from their site?

Spec change dates may be well known by nerds, the average Joe is not going to know.  I do agree the dealer should have known, I don't feel he withheld this info intentionally, but you never know.

• Like 1

I don't want to say the dealer did it on purpose, but there are some horrendous practices going on out there. The test will be whether they rectify it without any fuss or not. Problem is most salespeople know nothing of what they are selling these days, as such the consumer has to make up for this and do some serious research to avoid mistakes like this.

The PDF was from somewhere on their site back before week 22, I downloaded it and the link is to my version of the document.

Simple solution is to use the wider community (this forum) for advice before purchasing. Any significant purchase I make (primarily cars and camera equipment) I sound it off on the relevant forum(s) first. If you'd posted the car, it's build date, expected spec, notes of discussion with dealer, I can guarantee someone on here will have let you know the reality of the cruise situation before you purchased.

Sorry did the dealer advertise the car as "with Cruise control" because if so, they have broken their contract of sale by not suppling the advertised car and therefore, they have the choice of retro fitting the CC or giving you your money back and not selling you the car but, it is THEIR choice and not yours.

If the dealer did not state cruise control within the car's advertisment its just a case of "buyer beware"

Have a go at them, throw all your toys outta ya pram if you like, in a crowded showroom but, do be fully aware of exactly where you stand when it come to crunch time cause, if it wasn't in the ad you may not have a leg to stand on or a car to drive home in.  Dunno about you but, I HATE eatting humble pie.

Regards

T

• Like 2

As above - was it advertised as having cruise control?

If not, you have bought a used car and have a chance to inspect it and confirm spec before signing on the dotted line. If you bought it unseen from an advert on the internet then distance selling regulations MAY come in to play.

At the end of the day, did they at any point have it in writing that it had cruise?

Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the car when I was initially in the dealership as it wasn't there.  It was due to come in later in the week, the advert hadn't even been written up.

I asked the salesman if cruise is standard, he said yes, the following evening I checked the Skoda site, it said it was standard - End of questioning if the car had cruise or not as there was no mention by the salesman or easily accessible information on the Skoda web site to confirm otherwise.

Hey, I can live with it, I'm not going to kick up a fuss as I should have double checked the spec.  I love the car, it has pretty much all the other toys I wanted, sat nav, parking sensors, DAB radio, bluetooth, phone etc, it looks ace, it goes like stink and it's more frugal than my previous Fabia vRS :)

If I can get them to come down a bit on the install cost I'll probably have it retro fitted.

In which case you had a verbal contract that it had cruise and bought unseen.

Stick to your guns initially and ask them to retrofit FOC. I would expect that you end up making a contribution for the cost of the parts, and they give the Labour FOC.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In which case you had a verbal contract that it had cruise and bought unseen.

Stick to your guns initially and ask them to retrofit FOC. I would expect that you end up making a contribution for the cost of the parts, and they give the Labour FOC.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

What he said & paying for the parts only is a great deal.

Not sure what the warranty is on retro fit but I'd be cheeky and try to get an extension to the warranty. The CC stalks are cheap and notoriously unreliable, loads of folks including me have needed theirs replacing.