Best Economical towcar

gumdrop

I currently run a 2.0 Yeti 2wd it is giving me 35-38mpg while towing but it is slightly underpowered.

It swallows most of my caravanning bulky kit but I could do with having capacity for a third passenger!

(I take the back seats out)

I am 6'-2" tall with a 34" inside leg, the operation of the clutch sometimes causes cramps on a long journey

At the moment it seems to be the best solution but it may be possible to change the car in the near future,

anyone suggest a better Skoda model that is as economic to run (or better)

• Like 1

If it must be a Skoda the obvious choice is an Octavia Scout IMO.

Bigger boot, more power.  DSG option if clutch is giving you issues.

You have the lower powered engine in the Yeti, a higher power engine might be more economical if it's not working so hard.

• Like 1

Hi gumdrop,

have you thought about a DSG Yeti? That would solve your leg cramp.

If you really like/enjoy the Yeti, give one a trail run (like an hour or 2).

My TDI  DSG is giving me 40 mpg overall, and that's with a heavy right foot.

Don't know with a caravan, I only use a small trailer for rubbish etc.

My 170 TDi did 28-30 towing 1400Kg, always with plenty of power in hand. My three previous towcars were Octavia Vrs 170's which did much the same, though they were towing less, between 1175 and 1320 depending what 'van we had at the time.

My current Tiguan 177 is not great.  24 towing 1500Kg is the general, but can dip to 18 in rough conditions.  Coming across to Fife this afternoon for the weekend it managed 30 but there was a stiff tail wind.  Looks like there will be a headwind for heading home on Sunday so it could easily be an 18 day!

Swapping to a Volvo XC60 D5 Auto soon.  One of the many reasons for the change is the Tigs poor mpg patricularly towing.  The Volvo will probably do about the same but has much more power so I will happily accept it then.

Remapping is the cheapest option, again I find my insurance will not countenance

"tuning" as it is underwritten by CIS I may try Skoda insurance next time, so which

remappers are officially recognised by Skoda if any?The Yeti is still under warranty I think

Edited by gumdrop

My Yeti is a guzzler in town...  hence the 34 average shown in my signature (But maybe I just have a heavy right foot enjoying the Yeti's acceleration a bit too much! :notme: ).  But on the motorway I get 41mpg and towing my ton or so lightweight caravan I get 32mpg.

Remapping is the cheapest option, again I find my insurance will not countenance

"tuning" as it is underwritten by CIS I may try Skoda insurance next time, so which

remappers are officially recognised by Skoda if any?The Yeti is still under warranty I think

I am surprised at the lack of replies regarding tuning and insurance, did I ought to post the question elsewhere?

I am surprised at the lack of replies regarding tuning and insurance, did I ought to post the question elsewhere?

I don't think any remappers are "officially recognised" as such.

In the past, when I've declared remaps, insurers didn't give a monkeys who actually did the remap, they just have some category for engine modification and stick it under that, and charge whatever extra they charge.

Same with uprated discs & pads I've declared before - they're just a "brake modification" or something similar.

I have just been quoted £377+ for a remapped Yeti 2wd 110ps.Skoda Insurance

I am currently paying £225 for the standard tune RAC Insurance

Can anyone tell me of a better deal please?

Skoda insurance charged me 10% extra for my remap.

Have you ventured out of the Yeti section and seen that there are some site sponsors? 

Give them a try.

I'm with Adrian Flux and insured to drive off-road (in a Land Rover :D )

I rang Shark Tuning around lunchtime today, they said take it to somewhere three hours away (Mansfield?)

I asked about dealers network and they took my phone number to "ring me back" about a more local dealer

No Phone Call as yet

Edited by gumdrop

I rang Shark Tuning around lunchtime today, they said take it to somewhere three hours away (Mansfield?)

I asked about dealers network and they took my phone number to "ring me back" about a more local dealer

No Phone Call as yet

Their staffing level small but perfect. Patience, Santa won't overlook you. :giggle:

In the mean time: http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/dealers

Shark Performance Dealer: Swindon
BR Developments

Swindon - Mobile Dealer 

Tel: 07785 748713

E: [email protected]

W: www.brdevelopments.com(http://www.brdevelopments.com

Fred

Drat, I had hoped they were something special :devil:

They are special, they're mine! :sun: 

Kevin's are much more special but then he has to go to some unfriendly places.   :giggle: 

Fred

• Like 1