Bluetooth phone constantly losing connection

I have an old Nokia bluetooth phone kept permanently on charge in the boot which connects to the bluetooth module in the Columbus.  Has worked fine until recently (last 3 months, say), since when I've been getting regular dropouts.  Today on a journey to N. Wales (not the best test, I know), I lost connection about 20+ times which is infuriating.

Question: is it likely to be a signal issue, a bluetooth module issue or a phone issue?  The phone's about 10 years old and is on Virgin.  I do know, though, that the providers these days tend to share and swap connectivity - could that be when the signal is dropping out?

Secondly, is there any way of switching off the notifications when the phone DOES lose signal?  I find it irritating beyond belief, especially if I'm relying on the Sat-Nav at the time.  Is there a setting whereby it will AUTOMATICALLY re-connect?

Help appreciated on both issues.

Cheers.

Its likely to be a signal issue, and I suspect your car has connected in rSAP mode, which takes over the SIM and hence detects every drop out.  An older well used SIM might also be more susceptible to drop out.

Has your BT module got the option to connect in HFP mode where the car does not take over the SIM?  If so that should do it.  If you don't know, it would be giving the choice between a premium and a handsfree connection in the maxidot - if so choose the latter.

You won't get texts on the head unit though, not that that probably matters much!

Adam

Thanks, Adamal.  I'm a bit of a duffer, though, when it comes to phones: I don't really know anything about modules, HFPs, rSAPs...  Where do I look to find all this?

Appreciate your help.

Ned.

If you look on the module under the seat and report the part number I should be able to tell.

Easier still, look in the maxidot under phone and settings if there is something like phone mode, then it will hopefully give the choice between premium and handsfree - newer modules do this and tend to default to premium, which is rSAP. The other (handsfree) is HFP and is the one that you should choose to get what you want.

Adam

Hi, again,

I've been through every menu and setiing on both the Columbus and Maxidot and I don't get the options you talk of.  My car's a 2009 so maybe it's an early module?  I've tried looking under the seat, but I don't really know what I'm looking for - there's a mass of cables, connectors and units...

I've tried disconnecting and re-connecting the phone so I'll monitor it over the next week or so,

Thanks again for your help.

If its 2009 it is likely to be an older module that does premium only and doesn't give the option I mentioned. It will tend to drop out if the signal is low. Living in and driving round Wales, its a common occurence and as it always reconnects, it doesn't bother me too much.

• 2 years later...

My iPhone has been fine for 2 years and android phone before fine but recently constantly dropping Bluetooth connection and reconnecting. Very annoying. 4 year old superb with extended Skoda warranty. Going in for service next week, hope they can sort. First problem I’ve had in 4 years with entire car.

1 hour ago, Sheffieldpaulsuperb said:

My iPhone has been fine for 2 years and android phone before fine but recently constantly dropping Bluetooth connection and reconnecting. Very annoying. 4 year old superb with extended Skoda warranty. Going in for service next week, hope they can sort. First problem I’ve had in 4 years with entire car.

Has your Android OS [Edit -  iPhone!] just had an update?  I recently bought a new phone and it's was unstable re Bluetooth until it had stopped updating (numerous times in the end)

Any other Bluetooth devices in the car interfering

Edited by bigjohn
Can't read

23 minutes ago, Sheffieldpaulsuperb said:

No other devices. iPhone has recently upgraded to iOS11 with half of rest of planet, might be issue and a phone update might sort. 

Sorry mis-read before re Android/iPhone

I've heard of issues of slowness with iOS11 so this may be your issue

In:- https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/10/12/apple-ios-11-0-3-release-should-you-upgrade/#2f5d5a0867e6

"As for the early feedback on stability, it’s not great. Just like every previous iOS 11 release, users have taken to reddit and social media to complain about crashes, poor battery life, sluggish performance and connectivity issues - notably Bluetooth."

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2014 at 19:54, Noddy90 said:

I have an old Nokia bluetooth phone kept permanently on charge in the boot which connects to the bluetooth module in the Columbus.  Has worked fine until recently (last 3 months, say), since when I've been getting regular dropouts.  Today on a journey to N. Wales (not the best test, I know), I lost connection about 20+ times which is infuriating.

Question: is it likely to be a signal issue, a bluetooth module issue or a phone issue?  The phone's about 10 years old and is on Virgin.  I do know, though, that the providers these days tend to share and swap connectivity - could that be when the signal is dropping out?

Secondly, is there any way of switching off the notifications when the phone DOES lose signal?  I find it irritating beyond belief, especially if I'm relying on the Sat-Nav at the time.  Is there a setting whereby it will AUTOMATICALLY re-connect?

Help appreciated on both issues.

Cheers.

Which phone is it? I have an old Windows Nokia 635 that has been poor re Bluetooth connectivity recently(audio dropout) - wheras my Motorola Android 6 has been OK (once it finished upgrading).

Probably worth trying a different phone to test

Edited by bigjohn