Central Locking & Window Gremlins

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction here as I am not sure how to go about diagnosing this!

I have a 2003 Skoda Fabia 1.9 sdi classic. Yesterday everything was fine, central locking and electric windows were working exactly as they should. Today however, I unlocked the car with the key fob and opened the passenger door, when I did this the other three doors locked. The passenger door also went in to the "locked" position so when I closed the door it too was locked.

Opening / closing any of the other doors does nothing. But consistently if I open / close the passenger door the central locking locks or unlocks. If I open the passenger door ,all doors lock. If I close the door with moderate force all other doors unlock and sometimes even unlock and then lock again.

If I press the lock button on the inside of the drivers door (next to the window button) all doors lock except for the passenger door which locks and then bounces and unlocks.

The key fob still works exactly as it should. Either locking or unlocking all four doors. When parked or driving the doors remain either locked or unlocked, they do not activate on their own. Only when the passenger door is being open / closed.

I have tried disconnecting the battery and leaving for 30 seconds then reconnecting but this has made no difference.

In addition to this, yesterday my electric windows were working fine. I.e you lightly pull / press the switch and hold for brief activation or heavily press the switch and then let go for the window to go all of the way up/down. Now however I have to always hold my finger on the window switches. Even if I click the switches to the second position, when I let go the windows stop and do not continue to go up / down. This can't be a coincidence!

I have read that there is a convenience control unit behind my steering wheel, and there is also a locking module and window module in each door (I could be wrong here). I don't know enough about auto electrics to be able to give an educated guess as to what might be causing this. An uneducated guess would be something in the passenger door as it is opening / closing this that sets the locks off!?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mrrnoname

You're not alone with central locking issues!

It seems most commonly to be a wiring problem between the door and bodywork; through the rubber tube.

The window issue points to the battery being disconnected and the windows needing to be reset.

Hold the button to wind the window right down. Click the button 'down' again. Repeat for winding up. Then repeat for all windows.

I had a very simular problem to you. When i opened my passengers door, the central locking would go up and down on its own. The rubber trunking which goes from the door to the A pillar. If you pull that away from the A pillar, you can see 4 block connectors. If you pull the connectors out and have a look at those. Mine looked like some moisture had got in there, and one of the pins that the connector goes into had broken off. I made a temporary repair with a small piece of steel wire. Its been like it for 2 wks now, and i haven,t had a problem since. I am thinking of cutting the 2 wires and soldering them together now to save any problems in the future.

I dont know if this will cure your problem, but i might be worth having a look.

Hope you can understand what ive said, and if you have any further questions, give us a shout.

George

Thanks KBPhoto, doing that fixed the windows, I guess they had just lost their positions when I disconnected the battery.

Thanks George, I will definitely have a look at this when I get the chance. The problem stopped happening yesterday although I fully expect it to come back.

• Like 1

Thanks KBPhoto, doing that fixed the windows, I guess they had just lost their positions when I disconnected the battery.

Exactly that.

SWMBO's Fabia has the same problem - worse when it's wet or damp I believe (I don't drive her car much if I can help it). Sounds as though George may have found something that we all need to be looking at.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The car is now locking itself when driving, I have also noticed that when the passenger door is opened the interior light does not come on (works for all other doors). I wonder if this could point to the issue?

• 3 months later...

To follow this up, recently my area has had much less rain and the issue has stopped happening. I am now pretty certain that water is getting to the door electrics which is why the issue only happens when it has been or is raining.