Simply Clever? Yup, They've Thought of Everything!

Slightly off topic but you may be able to help.

I have ordered an Elegance Estate, when at the dealers I saw that there was a  divider between rear upright and the wheel arch on the left side and there was a lashing point at floor level on the Esate car they showed me which I think was a VRS. I said I wanted an Elegance model and they said the fittings would be the same. We need both as we find the side storage divider very useful and the lashing point to secure the M i Law's wheelchair as this has to come out first and needs to be secured on the side.

Since ordering and doing more checks I find that there is probably no divider or rearmost lashing point with the Elegance.

Can you advise if these - divider and lashing point - are part of the Elegance Estate fittings? The dealer is still trying to find out!!

Sometimes small things are quite important!

Edited for Typo.

Edited by ajw1100

I am simply stating the estate options, and if the OP looked as a vRS estate it may or may not have the variable boot floor, whereas the elegance defo will, which may change some of the fixing points from what I've seen.

Thanks for the input, it seems that the Elegance does not have divider or lashdown which is not good news as far as we are concerned, a re-think is in order........

I have a elegance estate and yes fancy floor with no lashing points on it but you still get the lashing points on the boot sides and 4 fold out hooks plus the child seat points are on the back of the rear seats so you still have plenty of fixing points to hook too.

Thanks Colin, I appreciate your comments. My concern is that using the plastic pull down hooks would place too great a load on them, the chair is fold up type but not too lightweight and in the past I have secured it with a 'bungee' hook going from the rear seat head rest metal rod to the rearmost lashing down eye and one from the chair to the hook in the rear seat back to restrict rear movement thereby keeping it properly secure when cornering/accelerating. I do not want to risk the chair moving as if it goes back then it could end up against the rear screen glass. Ouch!

I had a call from the dealer this afternoon who has understood my concerns and will try to find a suitable solution over the next couple of days, I hope they can........

Edited by ajw1100

I think the boot question has been answered [emoji3] cheers guys.

Given that we just about managed to avoid sticking the roof box on:

post-117613-14148633852253_thumb.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the stats for the journey:

post-117613-1414863435882_thumb.jpg

This was the first time I've used Eco mode. It was fine on the motorway and dual carriageway, but quickly switched off once on A roads. Cruise was set low to mid 70s.

• Like 1

While we're talking boots, what is meant to go into the recessed gap in the bottom lip of the boot? It looks vaguely fire extuinguishy. i.e. open the boot, look straight down and back towards yourself.

Bit of a guess but perhaps its for a warning triangle? Compulsory in most of Europe and I believe Spanish residents need to carry two.

Hi Iain.

Sorry to have side tracked your thread, apologies. It seemed the perfect way to find out what I needed to know.

That Race Blue really sets the car off a treat (Imho)

Bit of a guess but perhaps its for a warning triangle? Compulsory in most of Europe and I believe Spanish residents need to carry two.

This, have my triangle fitted in there, wrapped in a microfibre cloth to stop it rubbing plastic on plastic.

If they've really thought of everything, presumably you get a warning message that you seem to have misplaced two bottles of wine ;)

[emoji1] That's just us pretending to show restraint [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful if you have the variable boot in your car, it's kind of fragile, mine broke around 6 months old, with one moderately heavy load. It's currently propped up with two bits of wood to stop it sagging too much! Garage are hopefully changing it this week. Design could do with a rethink to have something to reinforce it a bit more. With my last car (Mondeo Estate) I could chuck anything in the boot, without having to worry about the load floor collapsing. I think I'll keep the wooden bits to support the new floor!

The extra space underneath the load floor is great though, being tidily out of sight.

Be careful if you have the variable boot in your car, it's kind of fragile, mine broke around 6 months old, with one moderately heavy load.

Define "moderately heavy load"?  I would have thought that common sense dictates that anything remotely heavy would mean putting the VBF down to the lower position?  You can tell just from looking at it that it's not going to be that strong... never mind the thickness, it's only supported by the mechanism by the back seats and by an inch of plastic on either side where the fold is.  It's really nice having the flexibility, and being able to divide the boot in half to stop things rolling around - not to mention the ability to hide stuff under the VBF (I can see that Santa will be making use of that space soon!).  Anything remotely heavy though and the VBF gets put down to the lowered position.

I have put my order on 'hold'.  I have nearly always had Estates;

Current Avensis and;

Passat

BMW E61

BMW E39

Volvo V70

Peugeot 406 & 405

Etc Etc back to

Granada 3L

Cortina Ghia V6

Morris Traveller

Mini Clubman.

And a few more......Estates. Every one had a load space that was substantial.

I had a look at my wifes new Spaceback boot floor, a piece of 4mm hardboard with a skim of carpet. I can see me making a new one out of 10mm ply come summer! There seems to be enough 'lip' to take is so it would not stand proud.

I have not had a chance to look at an Elegance load space, and am not too bothered about needing a VBF. I would prefer a floor with the strength to take 4 bags of compost and a couple of John Innes bags without worrying about it collapsing. (The wifes the gardener I just enjoy the produce!)

The car is all I want up to the rear of the rear seats, then it goes pear shaped :( or should I say 'flat' :giggle:

Perhaps, when I can view an Elegance and have a good look maybe I will see that that my fears are ungrounded but reading the above it seems I may need the floor at its lower setting most of the time. I am quite adept at making things if needs be, either to support whats there or to replace the standard floor.

I am waiting to hear from the dealer who is trying to source an Elegance for me to view, lets he does soon!

Maybe we should start a new thread..............

Edited by ajw1100

I had a look at my wifes new Spaceback boot floor, a piece of 4mm hardboard with a skim of carpet. I can see me making a new one out of 10mm ply come summer! There seems to be enough 'lip' to take is so it would not stand proud.

I have not had a chance to look at an Elegance load space, and am not too bothered about needing a VBF. I would prefer a floor with the strength to take 4 bags of compost and a couple of John Innes bags without worrying about it collapsing. (The wifes the gardener I just enjoy the produce!)

My Superb Estate also has a very thin piece of hardboard covered with carpet for a floor, but this is clearly supported by both the main boot floor and also the strong polystyrene storage medium which holds the tyre gunk, jack, towing eye etc. I've loaded my boot with all kinds of stuff, the heaviest being 10-20 packs of large floor tiles from B&Q and the flimsy hardboard boot floor had no problem with it at all.

4 bags of compost isn't really going to be an issue - I'm sure other members have had similarly large and heavy loads in their boots too.

Thanks for the reply.

As said I have not seen the real thing in the Elegance, does your Superb Estate have a VBF? If the Elegance floor is only supported around the edges it its highest position then there is a lot of area that is un-supported. Unless the poly storage moves with the floor in the Elegance and so gives more support that is.

Hmm, is the O3 VBF the same as the O2FL?  I loaded four large paving slabs into the boot at the weekend (total weight ~250Kg, i.e. 1/4 tonne) - made the back of the car squat down but didn't seem to phase the VBF.

Thanks for the reply.

As said I have not seen the real thing in the Elegance, does your Superb Estate have a VBF? If the Elegance floor is only supported around the edges it its highest position then there is a lot of area that is un-supported. Unless the poly storage moves with the floor in the Elegance and so gives more support that is.

Ah, may have mis-interpreted your post - I thought you were referred to the standard floor, not VBF. My Superb does not have VBF.

However from what I've seen in other models, the VBF is relatively strong as @themacster states above.