Trolley Jack

j3bnl

Having picked up a set of winter wheels and tyres this morning I now need/want a trolley jack for swapping them over when required.
So with that in mind can anyone recommend one they are using or used as I not sure what is suitable as the Yeti is quite far off the ground.
I have noticed some obviously lift higher than others so want to make sure I'm buying something correct first time.

Nothing too expensive either if possible. :D

Edited by j3bnl

I'm interested in this thread as well since my Yeti doesn't even have a jack with it! I'll be needing something soon.

I notice the Clarke one linked to on Machine Mart is a 'quick lift' one. Is that of great benefit? How much effort does a non-quick lift take?

I guess a 'low profile' one is not needed on a Yeti?

You don’t need a quick lift jack, but you are probably going to need a high lift one such as this

Low profile ones are purely to get underneath low cars, so no you don’t need that either, I have an aluminium one (the same style as in the link), yes they are dearer, but they are also a lot lighter.

Don’t forget you need to jack the car up on some fairly level solid ground... or use a decent sheet of thick plywood etc under the jack (not as ideal as jacking up on a concrete / block paved drive) but any jack will make holes in tarmac etc.

• Like 2

I've just been searching for threads on the jacking points on a Yeti and the only ones I can find refer to the sills.

I'm sure there was a thread that had pictures showing other jacking points; or am I mistaken?

I treated myself to a new Liftmaster Aluminium trolley jack last year.

It's a super piece of kit with a rubber faced lifting pad.

Currently on sale on Amazon.

Presume you mean this one?

If so, is 44cm high enough to lift a Yeti sufficiently?

Don't forget a couple of axle stands as well, better safe than sorry.. :)

You will not need to use axle stands if you are just changing wheels -- and where would you position them without causing damage anyway?

Presume you mean this one?

If so, is 44cm high enough to lift a Yeti sufficiently?

Yes that looks like it.

Mine's 2000kg safe load .

I've just been outside and lifted my Yeti's front wheel off the ground by about 6" in 30 seconds.

Nothing too expensive either if possible. :D

I think the previous replies regarding cost didn't take into account your location j3bnl! ;)

Aldi & Lidl frequently have a trolley jack for £20 if you can manage to wait until they're available.

• Like 2

Once you have a high lift jack, use an ice hockey puck with a groove cut out of it, place the puck on the OE jacking points then place the jack on the puck, this will ensure the sills are not damaged (easily done) 

jackpad-0.jpg?rev=0

Good idea, I was thinking of cutting up a block of 25mm thick Nylon/ptfe I have but this saves me part of the job.  I've just bought one.

Colin

How did you cut the slot? Router?

I do use a puck but not considered cutting a slot until I saw this

I cut two hacksaw slots in the puck (to the width of the chisel blade) and then chilled it out, my slot is roughly 20mm wide.

Obviously a router would be neater though.

• Like 2

The slot in the photo is actually a little deeper than mine, if in doubt measure the sill seam (where the OE jack sits over) and take a couple of mm off the size, the idea is the bottom seam sits on the bottom of the slot in the puck, this way you are using the sill seam edge to lift the car and not any flat part of the sill (which will bend) hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

I have been using a lidl job for 2-3 years  --  no probs so far, but who knows come next week!

next week came for me a few weeks ago, a part by the handle where it pivots split away from the pin that moves up and down.

You will not need to use axle stands if you are just changing wheels -- and where would you position them without causing damage anyway?

Why not?

Quite often I need to apply some force to the face of the alloy before it will detach from the hub. Your head, neck and arms are all in or around the wheel arch.

If the trolley jack fails, suddenly shifts or the car slips off then an axle stand can easily save you.

I slide one alongside the trolley jack just under the sill, an inch below. Yes, if the axel stand is needed it's probably going to bend the sill but at least you'll be alive.

• Like 4