Another rattle bites the dust...

jimbof

For ages I've had a metallic heat shield-type rattle when going over any kind of uneven surface.  Very annoying with my cobbled street...!  Anyhow, took it to another independent that my dad has used on his A2 - all the exhaust and suspension was sound, after a couple of test drives the chap worked out that it was the rear driver side brake shield.  Hell of a racket for such a small part.  Pushed it back to where it should have been, all sorted.  Happy bunny :)

• 1 month later...

For ages I've had a metallic heat shield-type rattle when going over any kind of uneven surface.  Very annoying with my cobbled street...!  Anyhow, took it to another independent that my dad has used on his A2 - all the exhaust and suspension was sound, after a couple of test drives the chap worked out that it was the rear driver side brake shield.  Hell of a racket for such a small part.  Pushed it back to where it should have been, all sorted.  Happy bunny :)

I get a similar rattle when going over bumps etc. I keep thinking its the exhaust or the axle. What is the brake sheild?

There are 4 thin metal discs which are behind the discs - they prevent stones being knocked up into the brakes I think.  One of mine had become deformed (I guess during a brake change) and would contact something else and rattle on it on uneven ground.  

I once had a stone wedge itself between one of those front disc shields and the disc... It created such a noise, that I thought I had a MAJOR problem like auto tranny or driveshaft/wheel bearing about to explode!

• Like 1

Im more annoyed by interior rattles in my superb

Interior rattles? Am I the only lucky person with no rattles whatsoever in the Superb after 8 years/130k+ miles? And it was the same with Mk1 Octavia for 9.5 years and similar mileage, shame Skoda has not maintained this quality to Mk2 cars...

I think the rattlier 1.9 is harder on the interior trim.  I have a couple of annoying interior rattles - an intermittent buzz from the passenger rear door, and a similar one from the driver's front door.  It is also apparently why the wings rust more on the 1.9.

I drove a 1.9 Fabia 2008 a little while ago - it was on a dealer forecourt and very inexpensive.  It sounded like a tin can full of tic tacs going down the road.  Unbelievable.

Also depends I guess on how much "expert" attention your car has had.  I can see evidence of some screwdriver monkeywork at both rattly locations :(

The lid of my jumbo box has a light vibration.  Bit frustrating.  Poke it and it stops, but is then back moments later.  Think that's it though, so shouldn't really complain.

Can't help but wonder why it doesn't just wear out and stop.

Gaz