Chunk's Superb Estate 3.6

Chunk11

I have owned my grey superb estate 3.6 for approximately 3 months now and absolutely love it!
I came from a modified mk1 Octavia vRS and just love the refinement of the superb compared with the octavia.
The modifications so far include:

- Uprated led drl's and sidelights (fog lights still to do!)
- Updated maps/firmware of the columbus unit
- Activated HHC and XDS (many thanks to andyvee)
- Fitted Uniroyal Rainsport 3 tyres all round
- Pipercross air filter and I am currently at Shark performance for a stage 1 engine and dsg remap.

I am typing this on my iPhone so no pics as yet but when I get home later this evening I will post pics of the car and RR results.

At this stage I have no more future plans maybe just a good service and haldex/dsg oil change at the start of next year.
May be some suggestions for future mods?

Cheers,
Chris

• Like 1

Unfortunately it didn't quite go as planned. Ben was brilliant and I spent the whole day at Shark. The dsg remap is brilliant D is now more like S mode and S mode more like a race mode.

The original power was only 245bhp and on being mapped it only made 260bhp.

I had a good chat with Ben about it and he said that it doesn't help that I am only using 95 Ron fuel. He has mapped one of these before and it only made 248bhp after being mapped.

The car feels brilliant more like it has gone from 260 to 280 but obviously figures don't lie!

I am very happy with how the car drives and never expected many gains as it's an n/a engine not a turbo but would have liked it to make a bit more!

The previous car they had on the rollers belonged to sgasman who used to be on here and he had it mapped at amdessex and it made 292 on their rollers and 248 at Shark.

There are no issues with my car no fault codes no rough running full service history and it has only done 30,000 miles.

Will post up the dyno graph later on.

From speaking with ben he said that they should be 256bhp from factory. He agreed that there was nothing wrong with mine so we struggled to understand why it was only 245bhp standard. When mapped due to it being an n/a engine only managed to squeeze another 15 bhp out of it. The figures look pretty bad but it drives really well which I guess is what matters...

Slightly wish I had got the 2 litre turbo and put a big turbo on...

I'm running a V6 myself (albeit diesel) and the difference in refinement is staggering over a 4-cylinder car. I doubt you really mean it when you say you wished you'd bolted a big turbo on a little engine!

Sharks rollers are accurate or conservative depending on your viewpoint. My TT TDi made 211Bhp on Shark's rollers and 230 on someone else's so it's all relative. Your car might actually be doing 300bhp!

Good to hear of another positive experience from Shark.

Been thinking more and more about a V6 superb and its good to know some work has already been done to get them at their best :devil:

What's the sound like from the standard exhaust?

I really like the sound from the exhaust I would describe it as very refined. Unless you plant your foot in drive or have it in sports mode it is almost silent.

The noise it does make though in sports mode is lovely and when cruising on the motorway it is very quiet.

I remember seeing that one of the other members has upgraded the exhaust on their 3.6 estate but I am happy with how it is.

I worry that if I upgraded it although it would sound sportier it would annoy me on the motorway.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay time for an update today I got a pioneer active subwoofer fitted to the spare wheel well. Makes the overall sound so much better! I have also ordered a new steering wheel with flappy paddles on so that should be here in the next couple of days and looking forward to getting that fitted.

Picture below of the subwoofer:

The model is a pioneer TS-WX710A active subwoofer. It is currently on Amazon for £233 delivered but if you go into the new/used section you can get a new one delivered by car24 from Germany for £196. I then got an AutoElectrician to fit it for £100. So all in not cheap but the sound is so much better!

I have had a 10" sub in a previous car and whilst it does not give out as much bass as that it is still a lot better than I thought it would be and I would recommend it to others.

Nice one Chris.  I had some some spare insulation knocking around, so I stuffed it between the wheel and subwoofer on mine.  Kept the ports free of course.  

The insulation is the SuperQuilt layered foam/foil type which I had left over from a DIY project, so it has some inherent sound-deadening.  My theory was that it would stop any unwanted soundwaves from travelling in unwanted directions.  At the very least, it's keeping the subwoofer nice and warm in the winter.

The model is a pioneer TS-WX710A active subwoofer. It is currently on Amazon for £233 delivered but if you go into the new/used section you can get a new one delivered by car24 from Germany for £196. I then got an AutoElectrician to fit it for £100. So all in not cheap but the sound is so much better!

I have had a 10" sub in a previous car and whilst it does not give out as much bass as that it is still a lot better than I thought it would be and I would recommend it to others.

Is it definitely a pioneer TS-WX710A? I thought that was a flat rectangular space saving sub not the spare wheel one?

edit - after some googling it is in fact a Pioneer TS-WX610A. :)

I really like the sound from the exhaust I would describe it as very refined. Unless you plant your foot in drive or have it in sports mode it is almost silent.

The noise it does make though in sports mode is lovely and when cruising on the motorway it is very quiet.

I remember seeing that one of the other members has upgraded the exhaust on their 3.6 estate but I am happy with how it is.

I worry that if I upgraded it although it would sound sportier it would annoy me on the motorway.

I know not really the same but yours is a detuned version of mine , although mines mapped and reading 333 bhp , not that much difference in power but much better low down torque and dsg much smoother and manual is a true manual, mine was done at JRT tunning who are R36 forum sponsors. Ive a custom stainless exhaust fitted as like you it was as quiet as a polo ! much meatier now  :devil:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay another update:

- ordered my flappy paddle facelift steering wheel from Skoda dop on 30/11 and it was posted from Cz on 6/12 but has not arrived yet... So I need to chase that up.

- windows tinted today from the b pillar back and I think it looks good. Took up a local firm on an xmas offer so was £130.

• 4 weeks later...

Liking this thread.... :) Keep the updates coming please!

I'm on the verge of buying a used 2010 model year 3.6 DSG Combi here in Switzerland providing finance works out. It is a dealer Embrach (Skoda garage) edition with uprated suspension, anti roll bars, alloys etc. I drove it yesterday. Wonderful. Will post some photos when I can.

Dave