Next Yeti Dilemma

alex_leigh67

My 110SE+ (with extra goodies, panoramic roof, satnav) has been brilliant with just a few faults, all sorted under warranty. 50km now at 2 1/2 years old. Most of my miles are motorway, do a bit of towing but only a non wheeled bike trailer. Going to have another one at 60k miles. Probably trade mine with the dealer who I like and who have looked after it.  Changes to my current Yeti would include

- heated/leather seats

- DSG box

I do want the SatNav, Panoramic roof, parking sensors, cruise etc I have on mine (ex showroom car so all the toys). The DSG is the deal breaker for me. Spend too much time in traffic and absolutely love the DSG (having driven other cars with similar). I was going to shop around for something with a slightly bigger boot, but the Yeti is so close to being perfect for what I need and I'm getting a good PX deal, I'm probably going to buy a new one (or possibly year old post facelift). 

Options are

- 140 Di 4x4 Elegance with extras or

- 1.2 Pe Elegance with extras

- Black edition (and lose the panoramic roof :()

Top two would have 4 month waiting list but not in a big hurry. Dealer does have some good cash deals on the blacks tho. Before today I assumed I'd want the diesel but having driven them both back to back, the petrol is astoundingly good.  MPG between them isn't that much and I really don't need the 4x4 (winter wheels and tyres for me).

I've been doing some research on here and can't seem to find much to dislike about the Diesel or the Petrol. At 15000 miles+ a year, MPG is important but after today's test drive, really considering the petrol option.

Anyway I'm rambling, but any thoughts/experience would be helpful!

Bike rack - hangs off the car. Bike Trailer - attaches to the tow bar. Them's the rules :)

The more I look into this, the more I wonder if the petrol is going to be the right engine for all the motorway miles I do both in terms of economy and torque/pulling power at higher motorway speeds. I've pretty much discounted the 140PS D elegance with all the extras. Too. Much. Money! So it's either the 1.2 with the panoramic roof and leather or the black with 4x4/140ps D but no panoramic roof. 

I think I'll miss the roof tho. Really lets so much light into the car. Maybe I can find a 'moon on a stick' 2nd hand car with most of the bits I want.

Edited by alex_leigh67

I have the 140 Elegance DSG with no major extras.  it's the best car i've ever owned.  You will soon forget the sunroof which is massively overpriced.

You will soon forget the sunroof which is massively overpriced.

I think once you've had one with the sunroof there no going back, you'll never buy another without one.

• Like 4

Bit more thinking / reading. What suits best is a FL L&K which has all the bits I want (and a few I don't) but 2nd Hand. There's a few on AT that look okay or a DriveTheDeal  / CarWow which seem to have new ones for about the same as dealer low mileage ones. Would mean I'd have to sell mine tho. Which I really am too lazy to do... 

Not seen the L&K Ones before. They have a whiff of smugness about them. Maybe it's just me!

• Like 1

I have the 140 Elegance DSG with no major extras.  it's the best car i've ever owned.  You will soon forget the sunroof which is massively overpriced.

Mine is an 140 SE DSG with towbar, mudflaps, spare wheel and textile mats, also the best car I have owned in 40 years of motoring. I didn't spec the sunroof as I'd had one crack on my previous Roomster, luckily covered by warantee but frightened me off when ordering the Yeti(s) and I haven't missed it.

BTW if ordering new include factory fit towbar, it's almost impossible to price match with after market.

It will handle  your "non-wheeled trailer" no problem. :giggle:

Fred

I feel I may have over-stated the towing requirement ;)

Edging towards another diesel and a L&K with black interior. I did briefly look at a BMW 320 touring just to see what you get for all that cash I'm going to spend. It was quite a short look ;)

Got a 1.6 Greenline II Elegance. Should meet your needs.  Be warned, if you don't already know.  Map updates are around £220 a time. Updates I've been told by Skoda are issued on the 31st March.

Car is superb. Heated seats great (for my wife's bad back). Good luck with whatever you decide.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone still vaguely interested. After reading on here and a few other places about the 1.2 DSG being a bit gutless at motorway speeds and very heavy on fuel, I took one out for an extended run, 50 miles of motorway, 50 miles of a and b roads. After which I've decided based on the MPG it was returning/the saving against a Diesel/the difference in petrol costs/etc, I'm going for one of these in Elegance spec with a satnav, panoramic roof and a few other options (dithering over heated screen). It's quite an expensive way to get the car I want, but it does mean I get the car I want!

Will get it on a 15 plate. Metallic Silver. Just need to get the right cash deal now.

That's a £300 comment there JCP :) Current list of 'nice to haves' are

Heated screens

Hearted washer jets

Reverse boot floor thing

I felt I could easily pass spending £300 on a steering wheel or £400 on an innovative solution of not putting the key in the ignition!

• 1 month later...

Well I bought one. Or, to be precise, my company did. Ended up using Skoda Business Finance (which was a very good experience) and going down the HP route. After chatting with the accountant and reviewing how much business mileage I do, this proved to be very cost effective against buying another one with my own cash.  The accountant's view was really what I needed was a method to hire the cheapest car I could, rather than own one.  All maintenance and tyres etc included in the monthly cost. 

Had all the options. Expect it to be delivered sometime in March. Was quite happy with the resale value of my current Yeti. Apparently tho, this does not translate into 'Alex's slush fund to buy new mountain bikes and other items of interest' ;)

• Like 1

We have a 1.2 Elegance and it is our second car so not needed for fully loaded holiday long trip duty.  It is averaging 43mpg or so according to the trip computer for mostly shortish journeys.  If I was on motorways a lot I think I would prefer the torque of the 140D as I have that engine in the Superb and it is far more responsive, even with a twin axle 'van behind it! :)

Don't dither on the heated screen-a revelation when frozen and indispensable when just starting up and screen needs demisting!!!

I haven't had a heated screen since a Ford Orion I owned in the 1990s. I still miss it - they really are amazing!

• 1 month later...

It's coming next Tuesday. It feels so long since we ordered it, I had to ask the sales-guy what colour it was ;)  Things I am most looking forward too:

- heated windscreen. I seem to have spent all winter with a scraper in my hand at 0700. I expect weather'll warm up now so I won't use it until November!

- heated seats. See above

- More powerful lights. Must be getting old, seem to be peering around in the dark nowadays

- Leather seats, definitely seem more comfortable

- DAB radio, I want test match special back!

It couldn't be more middle aged if they'd printed that list in the SAGA magazine....

• Like 1

Bike rack - hangs off the car. Bike Trailer - attaches to the tow bar. Them's the rules :)...

My bike rack attaches to the tow bar bracket, not the tow ball, so mine is a bike rack, and as such I can still attach a trailer with it on too.

Now my question, if it is a non wheel bike trailer, then how would the automated tarrif on the M6 toll road charge you?

My guess is it won't see it as a trailer, as it doesn't on my car, even with two bikes on.

So what rules are the Midland express way using?

I guess if you were stopped at the toll booth on the M6 toll, with your " bike trailer" on, I bet you wouldn't offer to pay double, just because you class it as a trailer...

No, I still see it as a bike rack, as it uses the car's suspension, and doesn't move in relation to the car, so is part of the car.

If it is listed as a trailer, then you are limited to 60mph and not allowed to go into the outside lane of a three lane motorway.

So you want to still think this is a trailer? If so, drive as if it was lol.

If you get a chance, can you give a link to these rules.

So the next confusing part...

If your lights are obscured by the bikes, you have to have a seperate lighting board and number plate, so...

should the lighting board have the reflective triangles on, depicting a trailer, or should it be without, if it's a bike rack ?

After all, most sold lighting boards are fitted with the triangles, so technically should be removed if it is a bike rack, but left there if it's a trailer...

The big question...

Oh dear... my bike rack attaches to the tow bar, and I have a lighting board... so should I have red triangles on the board?

• Like 1