Hi all. Any one have a photo of the rear level sensor for the xenon headlights? 

I don't think either of the headlights is auto levelling, and the OS is significantly lower than the NS. 

I had until today thought the Octavia only had the one sensor at the front, but believe there is one on the rear axle somewhere too? I had the headlights out at the weekend and a good play with the front sensor - which I think is duff, swings around aimlessly and noisily (coincidentally I think it is what is making the squeak I thought was the front suspension, so thats something!) and knocks off the front wishbone. All without any impact to beam level. 

So want to check the rear one too, before I suspect having to take it into my local garage to see what they think. Appreciate it could still be the motor(s) but the front sensor was so unconvincing I can't see how it could work! 

Any input welcome to try and narrow down the issue. Cheers

You can test whether the auto-levelling is working by turning on the headlights before turning on the ignition -- no need to start the engine. If they are working it will be entirely obvious -- the dipped beams will start at about normal height, sweep down to a very low position, then sweep up back to the normal height. You may see the tail end of this sequence sometimes if you start the engine then turn the lights on, but to see the full sequence you need to turn the lights on before the ignition.

Yes, the Octavia has two sensors, (front and rear), unlike the Mk1 Fabia which has only a single sensor. The headlight beams should be the same level but to set them the auto-levelling must be disabled - some people try to adjust them while it is enabled and end up adjusting beyond the end of travel, which possibly can't be fixed.

From experience it is worth having the dipped beams properly set after there has been any suspension work since removing and refitting the sensors can result in a dipped beam so low as to be completely unsafe.

Finally, try to avoid turning the headlights off then on as it seems to substantially increase wear.

Thanks for the pointers Gareth.

Curious. The dipped beams don't come on at all without the ignition, just the side lights. Does that have any consequence?

I think I know what you mean re obvious sweep up and down anyway, it's non existent! There was some suspension work done to the car just before I bought it which may well be linked to this problem. IMO the OS is dangerously low, makes me question the new mot it passed, again just before I bought it ;)

Anyways, sounds like a job for my lucky mechanic, think I'll give them a bell tomorrow and see if they know anything about auto-leveling.

Thanks again

Sorry, I didn't explain clearly.

If you turn the headlights on but not the ignition then only the sidelights would come on. It's only when you switch on the ignition that the headlights come on, and this is normal.

The MOT doesn't seem to worry if the dipped beam is too low so long as it's not judged excessively so, however I have found that you need the dipped beams to be adjusted correctly because they have a much sharper horizontal cut-off, leading to a more noticeable loss of forward vision if they are set too low.

The rear sensor is on the passenger side of the rear beam attached to a bracket near the exhaust/wheel.

One of my lights doesn't always auto level, then it fixes itself. Pretty sure the motor is sticking. I have a replacement one that I bought then it fixed itself. If I recall it's the same Bosh part as some Mercs.

Thanks Rob. I'll have a play with it later on see what state it's in. Do you know if they work in tandem then or one is the master etc? Like if the rear is ok but the front is duff what feed back the sensor gets? Obviously having manipulated the front a lot already and no movement of the beams it could still be the sensor or the motor(s). Frustrating!

Thinking about it, and comparing with the single-sensor on the Fabia, I'm thinking the rear sensor is the most significant in that there is more (static) suspension movement at the rear as the boot is loaded up (changing the angle of the car). I'd guess that there is some movement at the front as well in the Octavia, at least enough to make a need for the front sensor, although maybe the front sensor has most effect during periods of extended braking.