Advice Pls On Problem Yeti

OldHacker

I have a 4 year old (40K miles) Yeti SE 2.0 TDI 4X4 110, owned from new, dealer serviced. Been very happy with it until 3 weeks ago since when had following problems:

Week 1: 'Control System for Exhaust' warning light came on while driving and Yeti went into limp mode. Garage did diagnostics which came back with 'intermittent coolant pump B control circuit B open'. They could not find physical fault so reset and light stayed out and car seemed OK.

Week 2: 'Coolant warning light came on while driving on motorway. Topped up coolant but came straight back on again. RAC called out, found coolant gushing from somewhere unreachable behind engine. Not reparable so towed home (holiday cancelled). Garage had a nightmare getting to the source of the problem and found a plastic connector joining 2 bits of coolant pipe had failed (also said there was no need for any connector and should have been a single pipe).

Week 3: 'Glow plug system' warning light came on flashing while driving with 'go to workshop' message, car in limp mode. Parked car and finished journey by train. When returned to car light had gone out and no longer in limp mode. Took to dealer. Diagnostics came up with EGR valve (£900 job !) but suggested leaving for now to see if light comes back on.

Basically the car thinks it has another fault every journey. I know it is out of warranty but this should not be happening to a 4 year old, 40K miles Yeti. Any suggestions?

Had this, not coolant a few times the advice by Skoda France use the equivalent of Italian tuning, engine hot and rev it for a period, it worked , but not happy doing it - my car was also about 4yrs old, and 45k mls.

another problem was the engine shutting down completely, normally at low speeds, almost as if the fuel line was blocked, it started eventually after cranking the engine!

Got shut, hope you are more successful with a solution!

I have a 4 year old (40K miles) Yeti SE 2.0 TDI 4X4 110, owned from new, dealer serviced. Been very happy with it until 3 weeks ago since when had following problems:

Week 1: 'Control System for Exhaust' warning light came on while driving and Yeti went into limp mode. Garage did diagnostics which came back with 'intermittent coolant pump B control circuit B open'. They could not find physical fault so reset and light stayed out and car seemed OK.

Week 2: 'Coolant warning light came on while driving on motorway. Topped up coolant but came straight back on again. RAC called out, found coolant gushing from somewhere unreachable behind engine. Not reparable so towed home (holiday cancelled). Garage had a nightmare getting to the source of the problem and found a plastic connector joining 2 bits of coolant pipe had failed (also said there was no need for any connector and should have been a single pipe).

Do you get to do a lot of motorway driving or predominantly town?

Week 3: 'Glow plug system' warning light came on flashing while driving with 'go to workshop' message, car in limp mode. Parked car and finished journey by train. When returned to car light had gone out and no longer in limp mode. Took to dealer. Diagnostics came up with EGR valve (£900 job !) but suggested leaving for now to see if light comes back on.

Basically the car thinks it has another fault every journey. I know it is out of warranty but this should not be happening to a 4 year old, 40K miles Yeti. Any suggestions?

What sort of driving does it do, lots of motorway and/or town? Edited by Ryeman

And will pump NOx into the air I am breathing. Thanks.

• Like 1

Bit of a bummer having those problems.

Strange about the coolant pipe, being told it didn't need a connector. Was there work done on it at some time?

Hope you don't have any more probs

Harrymonk - yes the problems (and associated repair and cancelled holiday / lost work time costs) have left me scared of using the car for long trips.

There has not been any work done on the cooling system. I have owned since new and always dealer serviced (routine with no repairs). The coolant pipe connector that failed was inaccessible behind the engine. The RAC man who came out could not even see it from above or below despite trying damn hard and cutting his arm in the process. The garage who eventually managed to repair it could not understand why a plastic connector was used as it was just joining 2 lengths of pipe. I have the failed connector and it looks as though it has melted away over time which is odd because the car has never got anywhere near overheating. Both said using a part which could fail like this in such an inaccessible place is daft.

Do others think it is worth raising these issues with Skoda UK? 

• Like 1

Had this, not coolant a few times the advice by Skoda France use the equivalent of Italian tuning, engine hot and rev it for a period, it worked , but not happy doing it - my car was also about 4yrs old, and 45k mls.

another problem was the engine shutting down completely, normally at low speeds, almost as if the fuel line was blocked, it started eventually after cranking the engine!

Got shut, hope you are more successful with a solution!

Frenchtone - can you give more detail on 'Italian tuning'? Do you rev the car while stationary or driving in low gear, how many revs and for how long?

I would be taking a photo of the melted connector and sending it to SUK. This may be something they need to look into. Inform them of the garage you took it to and what they told you.

Again, good luck.

Italian tune ups are normally blasting the car on the road, but can be done when stationary. On the road is the norm.

The saga continues - while on a 10 mile round trip this evening the 'Control System for Exhaust' warning light came on again and back in limp mode.

As above, on the road or drive for the ita..

Had a view my prob was possibly the battery, ie the car never went into limp mode, just an indication of the probs on the dash dial they usually cured

themselves though, or by shutting down the ignition whilst on a clear bit of road, and restarting by bumping it gently ie no battery use! - I also had lost confidence in the car hence my change!

How old is the battery?

From experience voltage can be critical on modern 'electronic' vehicles and give weird pop ups .

It might be one of a combo of issues.

• Like 2

Get an EGR delete fitted? Looks much cheaper and apparently will improve mpg.

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/darkside-1-9-8v-pd105-2-0-16v-tdi-pd-ppd-and-cr-egr-delete-race-pipe.html

I've removed the EGR on older PD engines before (ones before it would flag an ECU fault), without any issues. They did feel "smoother" and the MPG increased marginally.

However, on DPF equipped engines I'd be more wary. The EGR will help maintain higher EGTs (exhaust gas temps) when the engine's not under load, to help keep the DPF hot and working passively. It'll also help get the engine warmer more quickly.

So I suspect any benefits may be outweighed by marginally more frequent active regens of the DPF, which will use a little more fuel.

Unless there are issues with it' I'd be inclined to leave alone.

• Like 1

Crikey....looks like you need to spend £900 then.

Or as it is dealer serviced I would ask for factory goodwill contribution..!

Flapperjack7 - Trouble is I cannot be sure that the EGR is the problem and spending £900 replacing it will fix the fault. First time warning light / limp mode came on it was the 'Control System for Exhaust' light and diagnostics came back with 'intermittent coolant pump B control circuit B open'. That cleared after a garage reset. Then next time it was 'Glow plug system' warning light / limp mode which self cleared and diagnostics came up with EGR valve (£900 job). Now it is the 'Control System for Exhaust' warning light / limp mode again - ie a different warning light to the one which came back EGR last time. It has not been into the dealer for diagnostics on this yet.

One thing at a time

1/ state of battery .....consider voltage drain due to heating elements, idling voltage, air con etc.

Modern electronics tend to be v sensitive to voltage drops and resolving that ? could save you a lot of frustration and £s

Charge it up overnight and monitor situation! if its kaputt it'll not hold its charge for long! - there your answer.

Mine included a chattering noise, origin fuse box, a relay not holding, after the recharge it disappeared.

Thanks for suggestions re battery, engine wire loom etc. Very unsatisfactory that the Skoda dealer did not propose to look at these things rather than blindly rely on the diagnostics report and charge me a fortune for replacing parts which may, in fact, be fine and not causing the problem !

One other question. Another Skoda dealer I just contacted suggested the problem could be that  the ECU software needs updating. I have had the car dealer serviced from new (3 services with the last one costing £1,100) and never had an update of the ECU done. Should it have been?

Edited by OldHacker

Thanks for suggestions re battery, engine wire loom etc. Very unsatisfactory that the Skoda dealer did not propose to look at these things rather than blindly rely on the diagnostics report and charge me a fortune for replacing parts which may, in fact, be fine and not causing the problem !

One other question. Another Skoda dealer I just contacted suggested the problem could be that  the ECU software needs updating. I have had the car dealer serviced from new (3 services with the last one costing £1,100) and never had an update of the ECU done. Should it have been?

How much?!?

I know mine is a 140, but in the 4 years I've had mine I have never paid more than £450, and the largest included Haldex and brake fluid changes! SUK have a menu price list that dealers are supposed to keep (roughly) to.

What did that figure include?

I would also have expected the dealer to do any downloads when it was in for service. Certainly Sinclair in Swansea have always done so.

Was this the dealer in Bristol? If so I will warn my son about them as he has bought a Fabia from them.