1.6 Cr Tdi - Check Engine Oil Level When Hot? ( Plus Coolant Level)

Hi

I got my Fabia Elegance 1.6 CR TDI Estate (June 2013) serviced at the dealers last Friday.  Checked oil level when engine was cold on Sunday, needed 1/2 litre to full mark on dip stick and coolant level was on minimum.

Went back to dealers yesterday, Friday, they said oil should be checked when 1.6 TDI engine is hot!  Therefore engine oil level is OK??

Coolant level at minimum is OK in spite of me telling him I have a leak and best to fill to max in in case level decreases.  Last dealer filled to max when he did service.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Diesel Estate

You can fill the Coolant to MAX & it will then find its own level and stay there.

(ie it gets rid of some via the plpe after you have given it a run and heat up the  system & it is empty of Air (steam) ,

and then sits at that level.)  Quite normal with some cars.  Mine regularly do this.

If it is above MIN & not going lower over time, you are not losing any.

The Owners Manual tells you to check the oil when 'Warm',  Page 168, half way down under 'Caution'.

the VW Owners manual when 'At operating temperature'.

Same engines, different Translations to English.

Many errors made because of this.

They should have put in the correct quantity for your engine, then double checked.

Do not overfill it.

and the level should stay pretty constant.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The Owners Manual for your car says what it says,

and then the VW / Skoda Videos do not show you or say to check when 'warm'  or 'at operating temperature'.

But when you serviced & put in OIl, if you put in 4.3 litres you knew there was enough in,

Maybe more than 4.3 litres with .25 litres still in the engine.

Overfilling is not good.

The dipstick is not great but when you pour in the Oil from a service, you need to observe where it is showing once cold again after being run.

& trust yourself.

If the Engines capacity is 4.3 litres and you checked that as being correct, why put in an extra 0.5 litres of oil ?

the dipstick is the same as used in some engines with a  3.6, 3.9 & 4.3 litre of oil capacity engine.

The dip stick is a rather simple device, poking down a tube into oil in the sump.

When the car is parked level & the oil cold & in the sump, the dipstick should tell the truth.

Obviously if the Oil is in the Head, Filter Housing etc, there can be different readings,

but that is not going to be 1 litre difference.

Edited by goneoffSKi