Mark 1 Octy Vrs Bingo - What's The Highest Asking Price?

I know our cars do hold their value - but despite their excellence, I think it would be fair to say that even the better, later Mark 1's have settled at around 2 grand - maybe nudging 3 at a huge push?

I often browse the classifieds, looking at our cars. I often see some at an eyebrow-raising price....but I have just found one at nearly 4 grand at a dealer, with 90k up:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/skoda/octavia/skoda-octavia-1-8-t-rs-7x-stamps-and-timing-belt-change/2818994

Yes, it looks nice - but nearly 4 grand? Or am I missing something, and their quality and rarity is seeing prices RISE? What do you all think?

Here's another.... 'modifed' apparently. 4 grand:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401141018655/sort/default/fuel-type/petrol/page/6/make/skoda/postcode/so238at/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/octavia/usedcars/radius/1501/keywords/rs?logcode=p

Mental? Or market forces??!!

I think it depends on the car really, cars in the condition of Lloyd55vrs or group1rs, would be in that price category and probably higher, but how much is someone prepared to pay, and would they ever let their cars go for normal money.

I do agree that prices are levelling, but some areas are rising slightly as the "mingers" disappear, and the good ones are left to appreciate slightly.

• Like 1

People will never learn, that last modified one is way overpriced. Modifications add little if anything and seriously limit the target audience. If I were looking for a MK1 now, I would want one in as original condition as possible.

The modified one will be for sale for a long time to come, my old one went the same way after I sold it. it then appeared on ebay a couple of years ago, and was sold to a scrap dealer for less than £1K and the seller struggled to sell. Nearly bought it myself to return to standard, but the costs involved and the price he wanted did not add up.

• Like 1

Mines a milllllllion dollars :D

Until i get to 18k next week then its down to a fiver :D

As anything, they are only worth what people want to spend

Depends if you have something specific that person wants

Most just want a vrs, or evo or golf etc

Only a handfull want something else

Edited by Lloyd55vrs

Tbh I think 3 to 3.5 is about the ceiling for a standard mint low miles 05 plater. That first one looks nice but I wouldn't have paid that for it when I was buying mine and I doubt they'll get anything like that much for it.

Only exception is going to be something like Lloyds car (as mentioned) but even then you'd be waiting a while for the right buyer. That bottom one is someone's off here iirc and it'll be for sale for a few years yet at that price [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are only three modded MK1 vRS on this forum that I would consider owning and they are a credit to their owners, otherwise I would want as standard as I can get.

Not in order but they would be, Lloyds red one, Geeman silver estate, and a black one I looked over at Castle Combe at the spring meet this year.

It boils down to how much the owner wants for it and whether or not someone wants to pay that for it. Mine I have an agreed value of 4.5k, via brokers, as to replace it (with as low mileage and as clean) would be next to impossible and you'd have to wait till another one came up. My one I was aware of for over 3 years until the owner sold it to me.

If the owner is in a rush to sell it will go cheaper if not they will wait until someone gets close to their valuation.

And that 4k one has been going for sale for an age or two... I personally dislike the look of it so wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

I like keeping mine as close to standard as possible so that I don't go too OTT with it. Subtle is my preferred option with her, making modifications that I think should have been from factory.

I'm the same. I don't really need any more power so the engine is standard. I like the way it looks so no body mods and yeah its a bit soft but its comfy so ive left it alone. Ive fitted tt bushes here and there but thats it. Ive modified cars in the past and you NEVER get your money back and are nearly impossible to sell. I like modded cars but personally I wouldnt buy one.

• Like 1

Ive modified cars in the past and you NEVER get your money back and are nearly impossible to sell. I like modded cars but personally I wouldnt buy one.

If you're thinking about resale value and being able to sell, then you clearly don't like the car enough to tune it

Tuning cars is no different to fishing, shooting, surfing, and a million other pasttimes - you don't really expect to get your money back for them

If you want to tune and sell again, keep the oem parts taken off and refit when done with the vehicle

Sell the after market parts on - at least that way you loose less

You wouldn't get that with spending the same amount of money on nights out at the pub

I must look at a agreed value for mine again actually

They stopped doing it 1 year, but offer it again now

As for selling ive been told no by the mrs lol

And i prob have a few buyers waiting for me to make a stupid decision :D

• Like 3

If you're thinking about resale value and being able to sell, then you clearly don't like the car enough to tune it

Tuning cars is no different to fishing, shooting, surfing, and a million other pasttimes - you don't really expect to get your money back for them

If you want to tune and sell again, keep the oem parts taken off and refit when done with the vehicle

Sell the after market parts on - at least that way you loose less

You wouldn't get that with spending the same amount of money on nights out at the pub

Totally wrong. I like the car that much as standard thats why ive left it alone and also why I've owned it for nearly 8 years. I've never owned any other car for so long. And as for resale value unfortunately not all of us can spend loads on a car that you'll most certainly loose. If I get a windfall from somewhere maybe I could but until then I live in the real world!!

A modifed car is an unknown quantity and as such would have less value than a bog standard one.So 4 grand is well over the top.

Any second hand cars are of unknown quantity. Modified cars tend to be better looked after but as said earlier when modifying expect to loose cash. Bargains to be had if you are the purchaser.

Any second hand cars are of unknown quantity. Modified cars tend to be better looked after but as said earlier when modifying expect to loose cash. Bargains to be had if you are the purchaser.

What I mean by unknown quantity/quality how good the modified are compared oem,also how many times have you heard "its meant to have a remap" but then not knowing who remapped.Your right some modified very well looked after but alot have changed hands 2 or 3 times and moded by different people at different times.

Modded mine but not expecting it to be worth anything more than a standard one, going to lose money on it standard or modded, spend money on mods because that's what I enjoy, dont smoke, drink or do illegal substances, so spend money on mods and V-power, when it comes to changing car(which is unlikely to be anytime soon) will probably break it as it is worth more in bits.

• Like 1

By the time I actually want to get rid of mine (if ever) it won't be worth much so it doesn't really matter what I choose to do to it. That said, I like it to look standard so it surprises people. The only thing I've done that can't really be undone is the strut brace. A map can be taken off, a panel filter can be swapped back to standard, grill wrap can be taken off and that's about as far as I'm going. Few silicone hoses,which will be black. I probably/definitely will upgrade the shocks and drop it by 20mm, but everything else will give a standard appearance, not because I'm concerned about resale, but that's just the effect I go for. I like cars that are nodded and there are many on here that are very well done indeed, it strikes me that the owners of those, like myself, have resale as pretty low on their list of priorities. Standard is nice, but things running at full potential is better imho no matter how they are dressed. Losing sleep over losing value is a bit of a waste of energy, its a depreciating asset, although you may not think so from those ads, some cars hold value or lose slowly at best, those that gain are very rare. As has been said though, they are worth what someone is willing to pay.

Modded mine but not expecting it to be worth anything more than a standard one, going to lose money on it standard or modded, spend money on mods because that's what I enjoy, dont smoke, drink or do illegal substances, so spend money on mods and V-power, when it comes to changing car(which is unlikely to be anytime soon) will probably break it as it is worth more in bits.

Thats what I don't get about some people who mod their cars they spend all that time and money modding it to how they want and then the minute they get bored or need a different car they break it for parts.They spend all that time just to scrap it at the end of the day.

Edited by GAZ911

Thats what I don't get about some people who mod their cars they spend all that time and money modding it to how they want and then the minute they get bored or need a different car they break it for parts.

Not sure that's really what he's saying? I don't see the harm in setting up something the way you want it to run and enjoying doing it for as long as you own it, whether it be 2 years or 20 years. Its all relative, if we couldn't afford it or resale value was a real concern we probably wouldn't do it. If people don't like buying cars with a few mods, find another one.

• Like 1