Replacement Tyres

survey

Our Yeti (2.0 diesel 4x4) is getting closer to having a tyre change.  Car was supplied with Dunlop SP01's which have lasted a moderate time. Any suggestions for a summer tyre that is reasonably quiet and hard wearing? I note that the Dunlops are working out at £128 each fitted.

Edited by survey

Google tyrereviews website.

I think Autobild did a summer tyre test on this size in 2014,

Michelin primacy 3 came out top in just about everything.

Dunlop SP01 is an old tyre design now with poor efficiency ratings.

I have tried various tyre test sites and they all have differing results. What I was looking for was the experience of other Yeti drivers.

Edited by survey

I got 30k+ on SP01's replaced like for like on my first yeti, now running Pirelli's which seen more skitterish and less supple, suppose its in the tyre wall construction!

Used my tyres, price about 100 per corner then 5 on top for fitting /balancing with ETB - may not be in your area though.

I've used Kumho KU39 tyres since the Goodyears wore out and have been very happy with them

Thanks for this. How are the Kumho's wearing and what is the noise level like?

Edited by survey

They seem to wear well, but I haven't kept a mileage check.

Noise is no more than the Goodyears, until they get close to the wear limit when they start to get noisy, so a useful warning.

I've also found them excellent off road.

• Like 2

Got 42,000 miles out of my 16" Vredstein Wintrac Extremes and 48,000 miles out of my 17" Vredstein Ultrac Giugiaros summers. Not bad mileage, superb grip on both tyres, but both have been very noisy so I've just fitted Goodyear Ultragrip Performance 2's for winter. (see Avatar pic) So far they are very quiet but they definitley don't handle as well and they don't grip as well on wet tar. Yet to know what they're like in the snow. [i went for 205 60 R16 92H - a size choice discussed on another forum topic - in the hope that the slightly narrower profile will help in snow and on the muddy tracks I clamber about on a lot.]

Edited by Abominable

Our Yeti (2.0 diesel 4x4) is getting closer to having a tyre change.  Car was supplied with Dunlop SP01's which have lasted a moderate time. Any suggestions for a summer tyre that is reasonably quiet and hard wearing? I note that the Dunlops are working out at £128 each fitted.

Very happy with mine. See selection below.

Michelin summer tyres did not work out too well.

• Like 1

My experience is that when the OEM tyres wore out it was around October last year, so I thought that rather than get some replacement "summer" tyres (they aren't really "summer" tyres, but that seems to be the term used these days) I would go for something with a bit of winter performance.  In the end I went for the Goodyear Vector 4Season tyres.  They have done around 13,000 miles since then, through last winter and last summer.  They still have 6-7 mm of tread on them, are comfortable, not noticeably noisy, grippy enough in the hot weather and awesome at cutting through standing water.  We never really got a decent winter last year, so I can't comment on their snow/ice performance, but they gripped well enough to cold tarmac.

I am very happy with them.  I got them through mytyres who delivered to a local tyre fitter quickly and as about as cheap as I could find.  I subsequently used mytyres again for my bike and got a similarly good service.

I have just bought 4 Continental Winter Tyres (TS850) from TyreLeader at £113 each with free delivery. Got them in 3 days delivered from Germany - amazing service. They have a much wider selection of sizes than websites in Britain. (A friend recently used another company on the continent - Oponeo and he was impressed with their service as well).

I have just replaced my Continental WinterContact tyres which I had on my Yeti with Vrededestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme, as the Conti's were down to 4-5mm.

I use General Grabber AT in the summer. But noisy and not very fuel efficient. But pretty good off road.

I may use the Wintracs all year round. I'll see how I get on with them. I've only done 3 miles on them since fitting, but the mechanic has had it all week since fitting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have just bought 4 Continental Winter Tyres (TS850) from TyreLeader at £113 each with free delivery. Got them in 3 days delivered from Germany - amazing service. They have a much wider selection of sizes than websites in Britain. (A friend recently used another company on the continent - Oponeo and he was impressed with their service as well).

I've used Oponeo (as well as other foreign-based firms - mytyres, tyres-pneus-online, etc) and they're all pretty good, and do offer a very wide range of tyres & sizes.

But if Camskill have what you want - they've generally been cheapest and faster delivery (being UK based).

I've used Oponeo (as well as other foreign-based firms - mytyres,...

Mytyres is run out of an office in Witney, Oxfordshire.  On another forum I visit there is a long thread about delivery issues with Oponeo.

Mytyres is run out of an office in Witney, Oxfordshire.  On another forum I visit there is a long thread about delivery issues with Oponeo.

I think mytyres still deliver from abroad though - I last ordered from them in July, and according to the tracking info they came from Germany.

^ ^  Mytyres main office is in Munich I think, just a branch office at Witney - as above, all tyres delivered from Germany, same to France - Pneus123.fr may be cheaper but bear in mind exchange rate!!

I've had a set of Nexen N8000's for a few weeks now that replaced the SP01's I had from new. I find them quieter (less cabin boom) and they give better grip. They seem about the same in the wet but I stress I haven't had to brake sharply with them as yet. I chose them over the highly rated Goodyear E.G. as they were over £40 a tyre cheaper at £55 per tyre. I paid £290 all in for 4 tyres via Tyreleader inc. fitting at a local garage chosen at time of online purchase. Given that I was charged £150 for replacing one SP01 in the summer when I had a puncture, I call that pretty good value.

• Like 1

I replaced the factory Dunlops with Nexen N8000s in July and am very happy with them. Just as quiet as the Dunlops and have no grip or performance issues. Have done about 5000 miles and wear is so far negligible. Highly recommend them. Cost me £320 for a set of four from one of the mobile fitting mobs.

Cheers

Rog

• Like 1

Then let's start a long thread on here saying how GOOD Oponeo are.  Bought four Goodyear All seasons from them and had service and delivery and pricing that was every bit as good as anything I've had from the UK.

• Like 1

I ordered four Goodyear Vector 4 seasons online from Openeo at 8.30pm Wednesday night.

They were delivered this morning at 11.00am, no problem at all.

Nobody else could beat the price, and my local garage can fit and balance them etc for £10 each.

Phil

Original P Zero Rosso's lasted 28 k miles. Replaced them with Good Year Efficientgrip Performance and have been very pleased, mpg up by about 5%, ride softer and quieter. Cost approx. £140 each fitted, by Formular 1 tyres in Mitcham SW London last January.

I've just bought 2 Goodyear tyres from Blackcircles and they were £131.xx each INCLUDING sitting and balancing AND I got Tesco Clubcard points with them too ;).