Air Bag Light On........resistor Advice Needed

fugly

Hi, I recently had to work under the carpets to solder out the wiring loom (internal lights failure)......as im a novice I had to work with battery connected to find the correct wires. All sorted now but I knew that I would cause the airbag light to come on doing this. The problem is the airbag light wont turn off when its reset on the VAG. The error code on the VAG computer says the passenger side airbag resistance is too high. It was fine before I took the seat out so my first thought after checking the wiring under the seat (connector looks ok but one wire slightly loose) is to hard wire the wires together with connecting blocks and bypass the yellow connector.If this doesn't work the second is to put in a resistor which I have heard about but have absolutely no idea how to use.....2 ohm I think.

Do you cut a wire (or 2) and place them in line......if so which wire (colour).....do you connect wires via a resistor. Could someone with a bit of knowhow offer a fools guide to what they would do to solve this. Thanks in advance

Just hard wire them with spade connectors so it easy to disconnect if the seat needs to come out again.

Disconnect the battery and join same coloured wires together, when you reconnect the battery the warning light should be off.

That will be my first option. I think that the light will still have to be turned off by the VAG computer though. I'm really seeking advice on the resistor in case the hard wire doesn't work. I will use your tip on spade connectors though.....thanks.

If you are going to delete the air bags you can buy fused resistors on eBay, I removed all my airbags in my Golf, replaced all of them with resistors, I also removed the seatbelt pre tensioners with resistors too. No lights now.

I did the above as my car is for the track, I am certain the light goes off when you have the correct resistance in the circuit.

I used these resistors     http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=VAG+airbag+delete+resistors&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XVW+airbag+delete+resistors&_nkw=VW+airbag+delete+resistors&_sacat=0

James I don't understand the jargon about deleting the airbags. Would the warning light on the dash switch on and turn off like it should do (even if that airbag wouldn't work) and how and where are they fitted. Like I said im a complete novice when it comes to something like this. Thanks

The air bag light operates normally, it illuminates when the ignition is turned on and it goes out after the system checks are done.

The resistors are wired in to the circuit where you have disconnected the air bag from, there are three wires but you only link two to the resistor and away you go.

Have a look here as this is what I read and did to my Golf.   http://www.r32oc.com/topic/24952-resistors-fix-for-airbag-light/

• 2 weeks later...

All done now.......I tried it with a 2 Ohm resistor with no luck then an auto electrician told me it needed a 3.5 ohm so I swapped em and the fault could be cleared.

• Like 1