Vrs engine not the same after a rebuild

iiPaul

Not sure of any local ones around kent, it's not exactly knackered, it has a few signs of wear on the lobes and two bearings are a little worn, if it cured the problem what's there to loose?

Ok, I assumed it was knackered since you had a cracked tappet which would have worn that lobe quite badly, I'm not telepathic and I really am trying to get to the bottom of this with you because, as you've proved, it has absolutely nothing to do with skimming the head as I've been trying to tell everyone for years.

Ok, I assumed it was knackered since you had a cracked tappet which would have worn that lobe quite badly, I'm not telepathic and I really am trying to get to the bottom of this with you because, as you've proved, it has absolutely nothing to do with skimming the head as I've been trying to tell everyone for years.

I appreciate your help! I will double check the lobes and see how they are, but like you said I think it's worth getting the rockers looked at see if that alters anything

Serveral times now was set up on 0.0 and then adjusted to 1.1 with no difference

I had a similar result as you on my 1.4 TDI after a head skim, valve guides, camshaft,  HG & rebuild, I set the torsion value to 00.00 and tried various other settings to try and get the torque and good MPG back.

I have retarded it by a gnats whisker and finally settled for -00.06 this is now giving me similar torque & MPG as before - Why I don't know !

DB

Edited by mogwye
  • Like 1

I appreciate your help! I will double check the lobes and see how they are, but like you said I think it's worth getting the rockers looked at see if that alters anything

there is MORE time. Effort and work involves in changing the cam. As its top and cam belt stripped to refit. But its just rocker cover off to adjust and check injector stops

I may be oversimplifying it and may not be right but. In simple terms .. when each injector is co pressed to bottom of stroke. Crack the lock nut, tighten screw till you hit the stop then slacken half turn then lock the lock nut ?

Inevitably the old cam would have worn and the injector stops will need resetting for the new one, you don't have to use a DTI since the dwell at peak lift is easily visible due to the rocker ratio. Fletch is right, it's a doddle really.

So I adjusted the injector rocker arms quickly yesrerday and straight away I felt a improvement, the flat spot is not as bad and it felt better on the road, but I still have my rough start when cold also the engine seems to be more ticky that before the adjustment, I plan on doing them properly on the weekend as this attempt was a quick before it got dark after work

• Like 2

I adjusted the injector rockers more accurately on Saturday, I started it Sunday and it still had the rough start, although the mpg has improved and I seem to have lost, so it's not all bad I guess.

However when doing the adjustments managed to do injector 2,3 and 4 but when turning the cam over (without glow plugs in) the cam locked up and I physically couldn't move it back or forward. I ended up just turning the key and adjusted number one injector best I could but it was still locking, I did notice this the first time round but didn't think anything if it. I'm pretty certain it shouldn't do this

I adjusted the injector rockers more accurately on Saturday, I started it Sunday and it still had the rough start, although the mpg has improved and I seem to have lost, so it's not all bad I guess.

However when doing the adjustments managed to do injector 2,3 and 4 but when turning the cam over (without glow plugs in) the cam locked up and I physically couldn't move it back or forward. I ended up just turning the key and adjusted number one injector best I could but it was still locking, I did notice this the first time round but didn't think anything if it. I'm pretty certain it shouldn't do this

It should not do that, sounds like the clearance on number 1 is actually too tight, loosen the rocker right off then readjust it.

It should not do that, sounds like the clearance on number 1 is actually too tight, loosen the rocker right off then readjust it.

Could it be the cam arms that lock the cam down to tight? Although they were done up with the correct nm according to the book

Noticed something in this past week, my car hasn't been priming its self when you turn the ignition on, however the rough start has basically gone until today, first thing in the morning it started pretty well without priming itself but after work I went to start it and it suddenly primed its self and gave me a rough start and is still slow :/ I have plugged it into vcds and no faults have come up

So I still have the rough start and lack of power, but am in a bit of a situation I can't make my mind up on at the moment, I'm pretty certain my headgasket has gone again and potentially a warped head, my question is, do I spend the money on my current 134k engine getting the head skimmed ect with the possibility of it still being bad, or do I just bite the bullet and buy a new engine? I have found a engine out of a vrs with 45k on the clocks although it has no history just a pic of the mileage. Help and opinions will be appreciated :)

i bought a new engine 56k £400 i also know for 1 with 47k guaranteed still in car atm £650

That's a good price! The one I've found with 45k is £550 delivered but I don't know the history and buying something I havent seen isn't something I like tbf

That's a good price! The one I've found with 45k is £550 delivered but I don't know the history and buying something I havent seen isn't something I like tbf

if you want the number i can get it so you can have a good chat with him only reason i changed mine was after my engine build new pistons, rings, oil pump timing belt ect mine was really rough/smokey in mornings i removed injectors had them tested no joy so i just swapped the lot all is well again now

if you want the number i can get it so you can have a good chat with him only reason i changed mine was after my engine build new pistons, rings, oil pump timing belt ect mine was really rough/smokey in mornings i removed injectors had them tested no joy so i just swapped the lot all is well again now

I have the same problems on start up but also a lack of power, I'm would buy a complete head and try that but there's no decent ones about so Im tempted to buy a whole engine and just switch the head.

As id rather not change the engine if I'm honest

I have the same problems on start up but also a lack of power, I'm would buy a complete head and try that but there's no decent ones about so Im tempted to buy a whole engine and just switch the head.

As id rather not change the engine if I'm honest

the problem is in your head i'd say but if you want a bottom end 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221617180352?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649