tyre warning light stays on

I have Skoda superb estate which is nearly 1 year old now. I bought it as an ex-demonstrator in June, since when the tyre pressure warning light has come on roughly once a month. I typically check the tyre pressure to find that one tyre has lost a bit more than the others (i.e is at 28, whereas the others are around 30), pump them all up, press the reset button and repeat the procedure after another four weeks. The tyre pressure warning light came on this week, I pumped up all the tyres and pressed reset only to find the warning light immediately came back on again and continued to do so every time I pressed the button. I checked the tyre pressures again this morning, which were largely unchanged, but still find the warning light immediately comes back on following reset.   

This suggests three possibilites to me: there is a problem with one of the tyres, there is a problem with one of the sensors, or there is a problem with the warning light. Does anyone have any idea what this means, or should I just take it to a dealer to get looked at?

Get the dealer to check the default setting for the TPMS system. Mine was still set at 3 bar, because at the pre-delivery inspection the supplying dealer forgot to set the default to 2.2 bar.

Mine was going off every fortnight and all pressures were absolutely fine. No problems after they hooked it up to their laptop.

Get the dealer to check the default setting for the TPMS system. Mine was still set at 3 bar, because at the pre-delivery inspection the supplying dealer forgot to set the default to 2.2 bar.

Mine was going off every fortnight and all pressures were absolutely fine. No problems after they hooked it up to their laptop.

The TPMS does not work by pressure it uses the ABS wheel rotation signal and uses this to detect any difference in wheel rotational speed due to pressure loss. The tyres could be at any pressure as long as the fronts are the same and the rears are the same and the reset button pushed, so your dealer is talking nonsence.

Kenny Rs question is worth confirming the answer to. My first thought was is the press of the button long enough to be registering the reset?? You get a bong when it does register.

Thanks for the responses. 

In reply to Kenny's question, no I do not get the bleep when I push the reset button. The light goes off for about 1 second, but immediately comes back on again. I have tried keeping it continually pressed in case I was not holding it down long enough, but that did not make a difference. 

The TPMS does not work by pressure it uses the ABS wheel rotation signal and uses this to detect any difference in wheel rotational speed due to pressure loss. The tyres could be at any pressure as long as the fronts are the same and the rears are the same and the reset button pushed, so your dealer is talking nonsence.

My dealer wouldn't tell me fibs, would they?!

My dealer wouldn't tell me fibs, would they?!

:D

Here's what they really did :notme:

They hooked the car up and cleared the fault. The fault didn't come back. So they released the car. And told you some story about the wrong tire pressure set from the factory.

2 different TPMS systems used by VAG;

1. LOW. This is what you get when you buy a Skoda. It relies on the ABS signal to count the number of revolutions. Something is off => alert. has really nothing to do with tire pressure in reality.

2. HIGH. This is what you get when you buy some Audi's. It relies on 4 different sensors that need to be installed INSIDE the rim of each wheel. This relies on actual pressure inside of the wheel. This also displays the correct pressure for each corner in the instrument cluster

33y450k.jpg

You can retrofit the HIGH version using THIS set, providing your car has the correct gateway (and I'm not sure our clusters support the display...)

Edited by Too Tall

Everyone is a little correct as the wheel revolutions are obviously related to the circumference of the wheel, so if one tyre is lower pressure than the others, its circumference will be slightly smaller than the others and need to revolve more for the same distance. Didn't everyone do basic geometry at school? 

You just need to remember to reset the TPS button when you check the tyre pressures.

I have Skoda superb estate which is nearly 1 year old now. I bought it as an ex-demonstrator in June, since when the tyre pressure warning light has come on roughly once a month. I typically check the tyre pressure to find that one tyre has lost a bit more than the others (i.e is at 28, whereas the others are around 30), pump them all up, press the reset button and repeat the procedure after another four weeks. The tyre pressure warning light came on this week, I pumped up all the tyres and pressed reset only to find the warning light immediately came back on again and continued to do so every time I pressed the button. I checked the tyre pressures again this morning, which were largely unchanged, but still find the warning light immediately comes back on following reset.   

This suggests three possibilites to me: there is a problem with one of the tyres, there is a problem with one of the sensors, or there is a problem with the warning light. Does anyone have any idea what this means, or should I just take it to a dealer to get looked at?

Not sure whether the owners manual states this or not. I actually found the best way to activate the tyre pressure monitor is to follow the following procedure.

• Drive the car at a reasonable speed for at least 15 minutes. (Warm the tyres up to normal operating temp)
  • Pump the tyres up to specified pressure while the tyres are warm. (I normally use 35 PSI)
  • Take the car for another drive. This time sitting on a long flat straight road (Freeway or something similar)
  • Set cruise control and hold vehicle at constant speed
  • Hold Tyre pressure warning button until it 'Beeps'
  • Your accurate tyre pressures have been set.  

Not sure whether the owners manual states this or not. I actually found the best way to activate the tyre pressure monitor is to follow the following procedure.

• Drive the car at a reasonable speed for at least 15 minutes. (Warm the tyres up to normal operating temp)
  • Pump the tyres up to specified pressure while the tyres are warm. (I normally use 35 PSI)
  • Take the car for another drive. This time sitting on a long flat straight road (Freeway or something similar)
  • Set cruise control and hold vehicle at constant speed
  • Hold Tyre pressure warning button until it 'Beeps'
  • Your accurate tyre pressures have been set.  

Hi, interesting but I wouldn't say that it is the entire story since your last point starts the learning mode ...

At least for all other VW group cars with the same system without actual active sensors in each tire you set the system in learning mode when you press the TPMS button long enough to hear the "pling". The following formulas are then used to set the base line and then calculate the difference from that base line.

tpms-formulas-2.jpg

ωLF = front left, no of ABS pulses

ωRF = front right, no of ABS pulses

ωLR = rear left, no of ABS pulsesr

ωRR = rear right, no of ABS pulses

ωa = average no of ABS pulses

β = change of no of ABS pulses, 0 when no change detected, 0.1 at 10%, 0.2 at 20% and so on ...

In learning mode:

0-5 minutes, system detects changes >25%

5-20 minutes, system detects changes of 25%

20-120 minutes, system detects changes <25% and are fully calibrated within this time

A few things to think about though ...

• The system gets more and more sensitive with higher speed since it measures the pulses over time and not distance, it is more likely to go off at 190 km/h at Autobahn than at 70 km/h going down an A or B road.
  • High load in the back or at one side of the car might also trigger the system.
  • If you enter learning mode with the wrong pressure in your tires this become the "good value", never mind how wrong it is.

Just my 5 ... pence maybe ... Have a nice evening!

Edited by AndersNordh
  • Like 2