Headlight bulb recommendations please

APJ

One of my dipped beam bulbs (H7) has gone, so I might as well replace the pair with uprated bulbs.

Any recommendations?  

I see the Philips bulbs seem to get good reviews with Autoexpress but interested to see what's around.

Whats the latest thoughts on what HID kits are best and are they easy to fit?

Look for the seller Londoncolour on ebay. 4300k NON-canbus kit. Code the car. Sorted.

They are very easy to fit.

Phil

Its a 2010 CR Octavia - will I need a canbus version? How is the car coded? Can I do that myself?

NO! The canbus "friendly" kits actually damage the cars electrics.

You get the NON-canbus one then get someone with VCDS to code the car for xenon lights. They will work without the coding but you will get a bulb error on the dash.

Phil

If you are after normal halogen bulbs, then these look like a great bargain from Euro Car Parts.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/lighting-accessories/upgrade-headlamp-bulbs/?48177022P&0&cc5_847

£39 from Powerbulbs.com

£40 from Autobulbs Direct.

ECP price: £19.99 :thumbup:

If you are after normal halogen bulbs, then these look like a great bargain from Euro Car Parts.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-accessories-products/lighting-accessories/upgrade-headlamp-bulbs/?48177022P&0&cc5_847

£39 from Powerbulbs.com

£40 from Autobulbs Direct.

ECP price: £19.99 :thumbup:

Except it's not in stock.......

And you'll only be delaying the inevitable. In 6 months time when the uprated bulbs have blown, you'll order an HID kit anyway.      

Yup. Having tried uprated bulbs in the past I'd sooner pay the extra £5 and get the HID kit. Mine's lasted about a year now I think.

Uprated bulbs normally only last about 5 minutes!

Phil

I've recently fitted the new Phillips ultra vision 130+ , they are very good and with projector lights they are probably as good as halogen get- but I know from experience that they won't last, hopefully will get through winter though.

I'm also really interested in the HIDs and understand non-canbus is the way to go and london colour with 4300k bulbs - but how do i go about getting it coded? As also I have read that coding before the fitting is important.

Sorry if im being silly.

I've recently fitted the new Phillips ultra vision 130+ , they are very good and with projector lights they are probably as good as halogen get- but I know from experience that they won't last, hopefully will get through winter though.

I'm also really interested in the HIDs and understand non-canbus is the way to go and london colour with 4300k bulbs - but how do i go about getting it coded? As also I have read that coding before the fitting is important.

Sorry if im being silly.

Having read through the other thread, you can code them before or after they are fitted. You need to manually add the correct code too.

My only concern is passing an MOT as they aren't strictly legal?

Thanks folks - HIDs sound good, but can't be doing with the hassle of getting them coded and would worry at MOT time. 

Gone for a pair of Osram Nightbreakers. At just over £15 delivered for the pair, almost the same price as standard bulbs.

Sorry if im being silly.

I'd second the opinion on the Philips bulbs - I used to use the Osram Nightbreakers & whilst the latest variety are a lot less prone to going 'bang' after a ridiculously short time they're nowhere near as long-lived as the Philips alternative.

I'm still wary of fitting a HID kit at the moment - despite having taken on board all the well-informed opinion on these here forums (fora? for any Latin-scholars) so for what it's worth I'd concur that if you are still set on Halogens, the Philips bulbs are indeed probably about as good as you'll get, giving a good throw and a sharp cut-off.

Hope this helps,

D. :)

Thanks folks - HIDs sound good, but can't be doing with the hassle of getting them coded and would worry at MOT time.

Gone for a pair of Osram Nightbreakers. At just over £15 delivered for the pair, almost the same price as standard bulbs.

Just installed a set of those and to be honest, I'm not impressed, they claim 110% brighter, but can't really see it myself

Just installed a set of those and to be honest, I'm not impressed, they claim 110% brighter, but can't really see it myself

You should notice that the beam cut-off is quite a bit more defined & sharper and that the light thrown down the road is a bit less yellow but they're never going to be as good as the Xenon alternative as mentioned earlier.

Might be worth checking that the beam alignment hasn't gone out following the removal/refitting process maybe..?

D.

PS, I'm presuming that your silver vRS isn't the sneaky one I occasionally encounter on the A3, often crewed by two of Hampshire's finest boys in blue.. ;)

Edited by ethel

If you just want bulbs and not HID then I have never had an issue with Phillips Ultra Brilliance. Obviously not a patch on HID but easy to source and change whilst making your mind up. Halfrauds are doing a buy one get one free but they are overpriced and can be cheaper elsewhere so check first.

RING Bulbs are superb, I have them in mine and also SWMBO's Leon FR, give a superb light for a halogen nice and white and a better output [to my eye at least] than the OSRAM night breakers. I had them in my Fabia VRS before changing to the Octy, so they are about a year old, the ones in the wifes car are about 18/20 months old.

I'll be upgrading them to the London colour HID 5000K when one of them fails :)

Edited by Gobsheene

I have used the Autoexpress recommended bulbs in a couple of cars for the last 10 years or so. 'Currently' using Osram Night Breakers. Bright enough to show an improvement over standard and do not blow prematurely. Roughly as long lasting as the OE bulbs. I have used one in my BMW  and that's lasted ~ 10 years- and always on when I use the bike.

But some people do get bulbs popping prematurely.