Boot locking behaviour

KBPhoto

Noticed a little issue with my Yeti's boot locking behaviour which I think I know the answer to; but it might just be a 'quirk'.

When I use the middle button on the key fob to unlock just the boot it always unlocks without issue.

However, when shutting the boot it only occasionally self-locks. My Octavia always locked itself in these conditions.

Is this normal?

A couple of times I've done this and left the vehicle to discover that the boot isn't locked!

The interior boot light doesn't work at any point either. (And it's not the bulb.) Is this related?

Unusual, but are you sure it is closely properly? There have been several reports of the boot looking like it is fully down but actually not, and needing a heftier "slam". One of the cures is to open another door or window as the car is surprisingly airtight. Also might need the bumpstops adjusting.

Several have reported the light not working, normally because the bulb isn't fitting well and the contacts need a tweak to get a better contact.

Thanks Graham.

I have had the rear light out and checked it (and the bulb) is working. Which it is. I suspect either an electrical connection within the vehicle os at fault or that a signal that the boot is open is not being sent.

I'll go and try the boot 'slamming' option now.

Boot slamming does not always work. It responds to a "firm" push rather than a slam. Slamming can cause it to bounce and go to a half lock position. What does the dash display show? 

Fred

Just been having a look with VCDS and there are a fair few settings for door / trunk locking.

Any idea which one that may have been ticked and causing this?

I recently had tohave a new lock fitted to the boot. The microswitch within the lock failed and was telling the car the tailgate was shut when it was actally open. The boot light would not activate and if one of the doors was not opened the car would auto rearm the alarm etc. This could be the cause of your issues, say the microswich had failed in the open or closed position. Your first post says the boot light does not work at any point. I would put money on the microswitch in the lock.

Edited by billhook

Thanks, but I'm not so sure as the Maxidot display reliably shows whether the boot is open or not.

I think it depends whether the switch has failed in the electrically open or closed position.

Fred

I think it depends whether the switch has failed in the electrically open or closed position.

Fred

You're going to have to explain that.

Surely if the switch is stuck then the boot will always show as either open or closed?

Mine reliably knows what state it is in.

A simple test. Set your door locks so they auto rearm on the maxidot . Lock the vehicle and let it arm and settle. Unlock the doors using the normal procedure. Open the tailgate, and leave it open. Do not open any of the passenger doors. Stand by the car. If the doors auto rearm after a couple of minutes then the switch in the boot lock has failed. Oh and the boot light should not light at any time.

I hope this helps.

Surely if the switch is stuck then the boot will always show as either open or closed?

it will only show as open if it has failed in the open position. There is no warning to show the position is closed.

. There is no warning to show the position is closed.

There is, the Maxidot icon shows the rear window filled in white when rear hatch open, when it's closed its not filled in.

Thanks billhook for the suggestions, but this is what happens to mine.

There is, the Maxidot icon shows the rear window filled in white when rear hatch open, when it's closed its not filled in.

The Maxidot shows the correct position; open or closed. White block if open, black / empty if closed. The car knows which state the boot is in.

Auto locking of doors after 30 seconds (assuming no door is opened during that time) is a standard feature and not, as far as I can find, anything to do with the auto lock (anti-hijack: need to drive over c.5 mph) or auto unlock (upon removing key from ignition), both of which can be enable in Maxidot.

It happens to my rear door from time to time, KPphoto is right. you have to give the rear door a big push and it will close. then the white line at the bottom of the Maxidot go's away.

A simple test. Set your door locks so they auto rearm on the maxidot . Lock the vehicle and let it arm and settle. Unlock the doors using the normal procedure. Open the tailgate, and leave it open. Do not open any of the passenger doors. Stand by the car. If the doors auto rearm after a couple of minutes then the switch in the boot lock has failed. Oh and the boot light should not light at any time.

I hope this helps.

I've tried just this and this is what I got:

1. Single click unlock (unlocks just driver's door) & don't touch doors - car auto locks after 30 seconds;
  2. Double click unlock (unlocks all doors including boot) & don't touch doors - car auto locks after 30 seconds;
  3. Double click unlock (as above) and open only the boot - car does not auto lock.

The car knows that the boot is open as evidenced by not auto locking and by the Maxidot display. This seems to rule out the micro switch in the door lock and point towards something else (possibly VCDS coding).

I have some screen shots of the VCDS pages with locking options and I think that this may be where the issue can be resolved. I'll get them off my Windows laptop tomorrow.

It happens to my rear door from time to time, KPphoto is right. you have to give the rear door a big push and it will close. then the white line at the bottom of the Maxidot go's away.

The boot is shutting, the Maxidot display shows the change of state, but the boot is not relocating itself when only the boot is unlocked using the middle button on the remote.

Others have partially answered this but specifically a switch can fail with the contacts open circuit (off) or short circuit (on). I don't know if the MDF monitors the state of the switch to give it's display or has some other sensor(s) that it uses.

Fred

As far as I am aware, and I'm happy to be corrected, there is only one way the car knows the boot is open. And that is with one microswitch in the boot lock.

I've had this issue with my Octavia door microswitch so am familiar with the concept, issues and remedies.

However, if there is only one microswitch in the boot lock and my car knows whether the boot is opened or closed and auto locks appropriately (except when only the boot is opened via the middle button on the key fob), then what else could be wrong?

If there are two sensors / switches, perhaps located elsewhere, then I'm happy to investigate and revise my opinion.

PS: VCDS scans do not show any errors and the boot lock can be activated from there without issue.

• Like 1

Going back to the opening of this thread, I think that the light not coming on might be connected.

Does the light switch on the earth or the positive?

Have you checked the boot light with a multimeter?

Is there continuity there?