The new Mazda CX-3 - a Yeti sized competitor

Now this I really like. Looks great inside and out and very much better looking than the hideous Juke and Mokka.

But really limited diesel engines and only a petrol of 163 horses that will be powerful enough for my needs to be honest.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows/mazda-cx-3-crossover-revealed-la-motor-show

TwoCars.jpg

Front.jpg

Side.jpg

Rear.jpg

Front3quarter.jpg

FrontCabin.jpg

Sort of car that makes me cringe. My memory goes back to my days as a bodywork estimator, when a panel with a double curve was a nightmare!

That is exactly why the smallest of accidents these days just has a perfectly good car written off.

Why do manufacturers seem to think all cars need a squashed roof with a letterbox rear window ?

That is what puts me off a lot of cars, another Yeti is the only thing I can see at the moment to replace mine.

That is what puts me off a lot of cars, another Yeti is the only thing I can see at the moment to replace mine.

Yeti II will have this same sort of line and narrow rear glass mark my words...  Sad but true.

• Like 1

Yeti II will have this same sort of line and narrow rear glass mark my words...  Sad but true.

oh well perhaps I will have to go for the new larger SUV whatever its called! I don't think a squashed Yeti will be big enough for me.

I have to agree about the letterbox rear windows.

The hatch also looks quite small and high up.My springer wont be able to jump that high for ever.

I'm also watching the upcoming Honda HRV with interest.

Hopefully the Yeti mark 2 ( not the big one.) will have a better choice of engines.

Something like the Golf GTE or Audi E-Tron will do nicely. ( I know...pull the other one.)

Unfortunatley the first rule of Yeti Club is that you do not talk about Yeti Club Competitors

Doesn't seem to have stopped many on this particular forum. (I'm pleased to say - all perspectives should be welcome.)

Looks smart, should drive well too.

Unfortunatley the first rule of Yeti Club is that you do not talk about Yeti Club Competitors

Little bit harsh.   Johann (nine trillion billion) has been bringing other makes which might be of interest to Yeti owners to attention for ages and there's usually a good bit of interest and discussion taking place. 

I was reminded of the new Golf SV by virtue of a mention here and as a result did stop by and have a look.  Unfortunately it didn't provide as high a seating position for me as I'd have liked and the Mrs. wasn't as settled in the front as she is in the Yeti.  Actually a bit of a shame as the 1.4 petrol engine and DSG combination plus other bits and bobs (like 16" wheels) would have appealed, but never mind, it was a good idea to go and look.

As mentioned above the HRV Honda might appeal and I might not have been as aware of it's forthcoming introduction if It hadn't had a mention here.  The Mazda was, again, something I hadn't yet been aware of so it was another interesting possibility to look at when the time comes.

I have to agree about the letterbox rear windows.

I'm also watching the upcoming Honda HRV with interest.

Well, yes, me too. But that promises to be another with a letterbox rear window and generally poor rear three-quarter vision. Not sure when there'll be more HRV news - is it happening soon?

But it does look like it's been decreed by TPTB that boxes can't have mass appeal. Which may well be true. But you'd have thought that a boxy niche that might be 20-30% of mass appeal could still be very worthwhile for a car maker if they can get the rest of the recipe right.

Edited by prodata

Doesn't seem to have stopped many on this particular forum. (I'm pleased to say - all perspectives should be welcome.)

I don't think anyone in Yeti Club knows that rule.

For me this Mazda looks like the boot is too small (the Yeti's is just big enough) and the engine choices lack sufficient conviction. An MPS version might work. It is quite a decent looking thing though.

The Honda HRV is already sort of detailed on the Honda UK website:

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/comingsoon/hr-v/

But alas it will also only come with microengines...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/paris-motor-show/honda-hr-v-crossover-reborn

The Chinese gets a FAR better looking one though (from behind) with the Vezel (it's name in other markets) having horrid huge rear lights:

http://www.carscoops.com/2014/08/new-honda-xr-v-is-chinas-hr-v-small.html

Honda-XR-V-1.jpg

Vs:

hr-v-gallery2.jpg

Was watching the launch video on You Tube of the Mazda CX3 and was impressed. The only thing that would put me off buying one is until the engine configuration is made public, I don,t think there will be an Auto diesel with 4wd ( would think a 1.5 litre diesel is too small for both).

Still worth waiting to see if it happens.

Tony

Why do manufacturers seem to think all cars need a squashed roof with a letterbox rear window ?

It started when one company had a 6th Form Media Studies student on work experience and he/she doodled an outline on their WE training schedule and it was noticed by the company's  Head of Design. :giggle:

Fred

• Like 1

....Unfortunatley the first rule of Yeti Club is that you do not talk about Yeti Club Competitors

Not entirely true, IMHO, although Yetiists do tend to be rather defensive of their pets.  The word 'competitor' does suggest a common set of criteria; perhaps 'alternative' might be better?  A weighing-up of characteristics and options rather than marking up scores....

Possibly, but the fashion is getting a bit long in the tooth now.  Someone's going to come up with another gimmick soon.