Fault found during 1st Service

pkoconnor

The Fabia VRS went in for its first service today and I just got a call to say during their checks they have seen recorded misfire faults.

On one occasion I have had a morning cold stutter but nothing since.  Just come done a run from Manchester to Birmingham with a heavy right foot and no issues.

They have suggested it may need new plugs and an ECU update.  This is a 2013 CTHE model so wouldn’t it already have the latest software?  Does anybody know what the update is?

I wouldn't worry about it o gave 3 sets of plugs in mine and numerous ecu updates. The updates will just be tweaks to mapping to help maintain plug life and drive ability. Updates for modules come out all the time

I wouldn't worry about it o gave 3 sets of plugs in mine and numerous ecu updates. The updates will just be tweaks to mapping to help maintain plug life and drive ability. Updates for modules come out all the time

Thanks for that.  Will see what they say when I pick it up.

The CTHE came out in the last quarter 2012.

there were some of these with issues still, and some owners required replacement engines from cars first registered late 2012 & early 2013 with 

CTHE engines.

The 2013 Facelift Seat Ibiza 1.4 TSI CTHE then was launched in 2013, some issues.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services what is going on,

You should have a ECU update if there is one, & new Spark Plugs,

But get this in writing from Skoda UK,

get them to admit there might be issues, & confirm they will extend your Warranty.

Be sure that you keep a record of what the Dealer says, Service Manager, Reception or Master Technician,

& be sure you make Skoda UK know this is unsatisfactory and you want the Engine properly checked,

and if early CTHE have issues, ask why they are not telling owners.

??

Did your DSG require the Service Campaign Field work as well.?

If Skoda know that early CTHE know that the Engines / ECU require a Software update,

then they should be arranging them.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi

The Fabia VRS went in for its first service today and I just got a call to say during their checks they have seen recorded misfire faults.

On one occasion I have had a morning cold stutter but nothing since.  Just come done a run from Manchester to Birmingham with a heavy right foot and no issues.

They have suggested it may need new plugs and an ECU update.  This is a 2013 CTHE model so wouldn’t it already have the latest software?  Does anybody know what the update is?

mine is a 2013 CTHE and I had new plugs under warrenty at 25,000 miles... they died. its no big issue. I will be putting BRK7's in though for next years track season!

The only issue is that quite a few are dying & the Service Interval is still 40,000 miles 

& not all mis-fires do log.

&

if the car is not on the VAS & checked, or the Lights show on the car (the EPC or Exhaust Emission Control)

Then some cars are running with one Spark Plig that can Fail.

Skoda need to change the Service Schedule on the Plugs on Twinchargers,

& there are cars that should have had Soft Ware (ECU) Updates.,

The issue can really be there were cars are on Variable Servicing, ie Many CTHE.

Or where the servicing Dealership do not put the car on the Diagnostic each Service.

Otherwise, its not an issue, as long as a plug does not fail.

• Like 1

Be thankful and well pleased that the dealer did carry out the checks in the first place. :clap:

Many would not bother, particularly if all appeared to be well (for example you thought all was well) and the car is in its infancy.

In these days of poor service, I think your dealer deserves a pat on the back!

Don't worry (as has been already mentioned about the ECU software update) - this is quite normal 

• Like 1

Just got the car back.

Car 2013 CTHE - built August 2013 Miles - 9200

Fault - Missfire fault stored in fault memory - See TPI  - Rectified under warranty.

Resloved - Carried out engine ECU software update.

The technician said that this was a full ECU update and the car would drive differently but the power would be the same.  Not had chance to see if there is any

difference as I only live 1 mile from the dealer.  Will give it a blast tomorrow and see if there is any difference.

Edited by pkoconnor
  • Like 3

They never removed and looked at the Spark Plugs?

That is crazy and the reason so many engines are damaged.

They just took a £4,000 plus gamble.

I would insist they spend the 30 minutes to check,

& the less than £40 on parts at retail price.

• Like 3

They never removed and looked at the Spark Plugs?

That is crazy and the reason so many engines are damaged.

They just took a £4,000 plus gamble.

I would insist they spend the 30 minutes to check,

& the less than £40 on parts at retail price.

For the price they are and however problematic these plugs are I tend to replace them at every 10k oil change on my cars. Stupid not to when it can cause that much damage to an engine
  • Like 2

Actually it is unbelievable after all that has gone on from 2009 - 2012 with the CAVE engines,

& even since with the CTHE from 2012 to now that VW, Skoda, Audi & Seat and the Technicians still do not get it.

Check the Sparkplugs, update the Software, learn not to over fill the OIl, know the Capacity helps.

If Professionals can not use common sense and some knowledge,

how do they expect the general public to.

If a failing plug caused the Mis-fire because the Factory Map is causing fueling issues,

You must look at the Spark Plugs,

Even if OK, replace, then Update the Software. 

Saves a plug breaking off at the tip,

and the one cylinder that gets cooked because of the Manifold design have the bore scored and worse, 

VW's Design fault.

It is rather a common issue, and among the engines that went beyond high oil consumption has been 

the reason for failure.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.   some hope.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Actually it is unbelievable after all that has gone on from 2009 - 2012 with the CAVE engines,

& even since with the CTHE from 2012 to now that VW, Skoda, Audi & Seat and the Technicians still do not get it.

Check the Sparkplugs, update the Software, learn not to over fill the OIl, know the Capacity helps.

If Professionals can not use common sense and some knowledge,

how do they expect the general public to.

If a failing plug caused the Mis-fire because the Factory Map is causing fueling issues,

You must look at the Spark Plugs,

Even if OK, replace, then Update the Software.

Saves a plug breaking of the tip, and the one cylinder that gets cooked because of the Manifold design.

VW's Design.

It's ridiculous, the cost of a spark plug for the dealer as opposed to a replacement engine on warranty claims

these were my plugs after my misfire, one was about to implode, which would have cause big damage... (the one on the right.....)

IMG_2107.jpg

get on a computer in the showroom, and show them this thread ;) my dealer knows all about briskoda, and the tech dept know all about that pinned artical on engine problems from cupra.net ;) I told them the plug and misfire issues last time, in an attempt to get NGK7's in under warrenty! lol..

• Like 4

The Car put on VAS for Diagnostics is listed as the 1st thing on the Service & Maintenance Sheet.

& all Skoda Dealerships should do it.

& in the National Pricing Service List, you will notice Software Updates and Enhancments as part of it.

That is how it should be done.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing

'vehicle and software enhancements'    'from Skoda's database'.

'Diagnostic check including Report', etc etc

Be aware that Spark Plugs can be failing, and even the EPC light can show from time to time,

but there can be not enough misfires in a cycle for them to log.

So knowing the issues that Twinchargers have had, it is surprising even silly that the Service Schedule / Guidelines 

have not been changed after 5 years of the issues.

Checking the spark plugs early compared to the Manufacturers Service Schedule is not normal practice in Minor or Major Services,

but the 1.4 TSI Twincharger 132-136 kw Minimum is not a regular engine.

One Cylinder gets very hot, and that plug is prone to expiring prematurely.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

I may have applauded the fact that the dealer carried out a check in the first instance - 

BUT - not  changing the plugs at this timely opportunity (given the known situation re Vrs plugs) unfortunately negates my earlier praise!!

• Like 1