Misty rear window...

Fortunately only one cycle of the rear heater was required this morning.

My main disappointment was I couldn’t access the ice scrapper due to the petrol cap being frozen.

:D

Damn.. I was going to buy one of those scrapers (not standard on Toledo)

Damn.. I was going to buy one of those scrapers (not standard on Toledo)

That's it, I'm going to cancel my Toledo order, no scraper. :notme:

I can always replace it with a squeegee for the back window. :p

• Like 1

Those hot blooded members will notice the issue more :D

If the car is used for longer runs allowing the interior to get nice and warm regularly then there is far less moisture inside the car to cling to the rear glass.

A very good point silver1011.

It should also be pointed out that the Rapid loses cabin heat very quickly after switch off.

Compared to my last car (which had thicker glass and a very effective triple seal system on the doors) which retained cabin heat for quite some time after exiting the car - the Rapid is quite average at heat retention. That, combined with short runs (and doors retaining rain water) definitely won't help the condensation issue.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I've popped one of these on the rear parcel shelf: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000XUPEJY/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1417804446&sr=1&keywords=car+dehumidifier

So far, no interior fogging issues since deployment.

I have one of these for my dads Astra. Treat the felt top carefully, as I magaged to rip his open.

(I work at a manufacturing company and dry his in an oven at 70'C for a few days)

Item does a good job...

Ask me again tomorrow (think it will be a very frosty night), but so far the condensation has been kept in check since I put it on the parcel shelf.

• 1 month later...

I went out to the car this morning to find thick frost on the inside of the window.

This is a picture taken from outside the car showing the frost on the inside

20150119_082425_zpsff7d7630.jpg

And another taken from inside the car

20150119_082521_zpsd0f8ffe5.jpg

I've emailed the dealer as this is just plain silly. The last time I had this much condensation in a car it was an old Ford Orion that had a known water leak.

On a car that I've had for 7 weeks and has less than 1000 miles on the clock is unacceptable.

It's a pity as it ticks the boxes in every other way. I don't know what they will do but they need to do something. We shouldn't have to be relying on dehumidifying tubs and silica gel to keep our cars fog and frost free.

Jesus! You definitely need a couple of dehumidifier packs in that car - at least - there's clearly either a big door or window seal leak or masses of moisture in the soft furnishings from water retention in the rear doors.

If mine was like that (thankfully it is fine since the pack went in) I would be going absolutely nuts over it.

• Like 1

Mine was so frosted up Sunday morning I couldn't get the doors open. Not one drop of moisture inside though, apart from the when I get in and start steaming it up, which is normal really.

I reckon there is deffo something amiss there with all that amount of moisture inside. Have you done the checks on bottom door seals?

Jesus! You definitely need a couple of dehumidifier packs in that car - at least - there's clearly either a big door or window seal leak or masses of moisture in the soft furnishings from water retention in the rear doors.

If mine was like that (thankfully it is fine since the pack went in) I would be going absolutely nuts over it.

I have two of those dehumidifier packs now but they don't seem to be helping. I'm waiting for the ice on the inside of mine tonight!

I have two of those dehumidifier packs now but they don't seem to be helping. I'm waiting for the ice on the inside of mine tonight!

Have you got the white ones in the black mesh covers, or ones like mine (sealed package with felt on top and a waterproof layer on the bottom)?

If the former, I've met a couple of other members at some recent Skoda meets who have the same ones and they have found them to be crap at actually absorbing any moisture. The one I use (see previous post with the Amazon link) does seem to be effective.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1

Well since scraping the inside of my window twice now along with using a microfibre cloth to wipe the water running down the windscreen the amount of condensation has reduced vastly. I've just ordered one of those dehumidifying sausage things but I'm going to put mine on the dash to try and keep it at bay.

I'm just waiting for a warm enough day to properly clean the windows as they certainly weren't done prior to handing the car over to me

Took a look out the window yesterday morning to see mine covered in a good layer of frost. In the frost on the windscreen on the drivers side there was a shape like a big 'S' When I first viewed the car it had a large 'Sale' sign on the front window in individual letters.

Edited by MickA

I've had issues with my Rapid recently, the front and rear both steaming up badly, especially the rear. Took it to my dealer who took a look and didn't find anything wrong apart from water in the doors which was drained and a "modification" done on the seal. 

It's still steaming up on the rear badly though. I may try the dehumidifier from Amazon.

Could the huge gap between the bodywork and the rear light cluster at the top be a source for the water ingress as it runs down the channel of the tailgate hatch and out the bottom?

I've had a look around and can't see anywhere else obvious.

Would some bathroom silicon do the trick to seal the gap or would that cause problems?

Could the huge gap between the bodywork and the rear light cluster at the top be a source for the water ingress as it runs down the channel of the tailgate hatch and out the bottom?

I've had a look around and can't see anywhere else obvious.

Would some bathroom silicon do the trick to seal the gap or would that cause problems?

I doubt that is the issue, as all that sits outside of the rubber boot seal, so there should still be a moisture barrier between the water running around the edges of the boot and the inside of the car itself.

However, if the seal isn't pressing tightly against the boot lid all the way around, then this would be a huge moisture ingress opportunity.

You could always adjust the lock striker a couple of MM inwards so the tailgate shuts tighter [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would this work on a mk2 octavia also?

Sent from my Galaxy S5

I've already done this to get rid of the rumble.

I have noticed that when opening the tailgate after/during rain there's a lot of water runs down the channel either side of the tailgate - that's why I thought there might be the chance of some of that going between the bodywork and the rear light cluster and ending up inside the car as vapour