EGR Valve problem

Magpy

I have a Greenline 2 1.2TDi, 11 plate.

Earlier in the week the Exhaust Control System warning light came on; garage had a look and said it needs a new EGR valve, they also fitted a new fuel filter and updated the firmware - free of charge, apparently something Skoda wanted them to do (details of that I need to follow up on)

They've quoted 4 hrs labour, £740 total to change the EGR valve, but now coming home the warning light is no longer on.

I've heard that EGR valve problems are sometimes caused by fuel issues, so perhaps the change to the fuel filter has fixed the problem?

I've also heard that for the money getting an EGR delete done would be better.

Help and suggesstions appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Hi Magpy and welcome to the site. 

You could get an egr delete but that puts more strain on the DPF as your emissions will go up and the DPF has to cope with those leading to more expense down the line. You can get egr cleaner which may help but if its the electronics that are causing the problem then that's no help. The egr's are usually around the £260 mark for your car from memory. So a repair to the old one may be helpful so you end up paying just for labour. This tends to only work if the egr has corroded a bit and is clogged with carbon and can be cleaned. Either way I suspect your are going to have to pay money and in my opinion you'll be best off with keeping the egr. Soon, around 18 months from now a car without an egr may have more problems passing the MOT when the new emission rules for diesels come in. 

Edited by Estate Man
  • Like 1

if the egr is anything like the one on the 1.6 tdi then valve fail is a common thing. for what its worth the old man has just had to have his replaced on a 30k mile motor. 

we had the removed egr ,which can only be bought with cooler attached, and took the thing apart to investigate. 

there is one internal valve controlled by an electric motor. this one didnt feel too bad movement wise. bit stiff but probably ok. 

the other internal paddle flap is controlled by a vacuum (looks like a flying saucer). this flap was way too tight, there is no way the vacuum would move it. whether you could spray in a bit of wd or something and work the flap into a usable state I do not know. at the end of the day it was the carbon build up inside. not a nice sooty carbon build up but a thick stodgy oily build up that would eventually seize any moving parts. it was like tree sap mixed with soot then baked on.  All in all design fault. Under tested part let loose on the general public. Ask euro car parts how many they have in stock, they sell loads.

According to darkside EGR delete cannot be done with DPF still in place.

• 3 weeks later...