Favorite Yeti feature(s) ?

ftmch

Gday all

Im waiting on delivery of a Jungle Green Outdoor (2ltr diesel dsg - only option here in Australia).

Really interested to get the perspective of seasoned (and new) Yeti owners on what their favorite feature(s) of the car is.

My exposure to date has been a couple of test drives and countless reviews etc I've dragged up on the net while waiting for mine to arrive, but really keen to get a real world take on what the best aspects of the car are.

Any comments appreciated. Cheers!

It's not a single feature, but what I like most about the Yeti is that it's an all-rounder - a jack of all trades if you will, but not in a pejorative way, it's certainly master of some. Have been known to describe it as something of a Goldilocks car, ie not too big, not too small etc etc. Wouldn't want to take that analogy too far, but it's surprising just how many bases it covers pretty reasonably well (especially if you learn to pack vertically - I think what many owners wish is that it was just 20-30cm longer, but the height in the back does compensate). 

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

It's not a single feature, but what I like most about the Yeti is that it's an all-rounder - a jack of all trades if you will, but not in a pejorative way, it's certainly master of some. Have been known to describe it as something of a Goldilocks car, ie not too big, not too small etc etc. Wouldn't want to take that analogy too far, but it's surprising just how many bases it covers pretty reasonably well (especially if you learn to pack vertically - I think what many owners wish is that it was just 20-30cm longer, but the height in the back does compensate). 

Thanks for that - just the sort of perspective I was after.

On the topic of boot space, would anyone have any idea why the Australian specifications list the capacity as 310 litres, but the UK (and other international) reviews I've read consistently reference a capacity of 416 litres. I'm assuming the car has the same dimensions - perhaps it's just measured differently in different countries?

The boot size is perhaps the main thing I'm worried about (not majorly, but some of the alternatives I considered all had bigger capacity), but as you've suggested we'll probably just need to capitalise on the extra vertical space.

I'm retired and so it gets used as a 2 seat allrounder.

If, on the other hand, it's to be a 4/5 seater you'll need to be more disciplined than the average Oz .

I'm tempted to take it on some of our designated 'tracks' but their gnarled rocky nature here makes me somewhat tentative, tyres to start with.

For us there's nothing that has ALL it's abilities for the OR price.

The 310 figure is with the spare wheel and raised boot floor in place. You get a deeper floor and more space without the spare, but as others say you can stack higher, or just get a roofbox.

For me it's the combination of features that make it so good. The turning circle is good, at least coming from a Mk I Octavia, and the raised height gives good visibility. It's very composed on the twisty bits, which is maybe surprising given the ride height and taller shape. Then you have the versatile seating which converts it to a load lugger when you need it.

The only downside (for me) has been the compromise with fuel efficiency. It's not a svelte shape, and fuel consumption isn't good over 65 mph. I had hoped for slightly better than I'm getting (41.5 mpg over 31K miles) from the 2.0 TDi, but I'm content with that for the sake of everything else it delivers on.

• Like 1

If, on the other hand, it's to be a 4/5 seater you'll need to be more disciplined than the average Oz .

I'm tempted to take it on some of our designated 'tracks' but their gnarled rocky nature here makes me somewhat tentative, tyres to start with.

We do a bit of off-road stuff (nothing hardcore - just some moderate dirt tracks in the Adelaide Hills, Flinders Ranges etc..), but they can get a tad rocky so - as you've mentioned -  will be interesting to see how it goes. I've read the suspension is a bit stiff off road so keen to see how it holds up from that perspective also.

We also do quite a bit of beach driving in soft sand also, but I'm guessing (hoping?) the Yeti will eat that for breakfast.

Thanks for the feedback.

The 310 figure is with the spare wheel and raised boot floor in place. You get a deeper floor and more space without the spare, but as others say you can stack higher, or just get a roofbox.

Great stuff - thanks

Ya gotta love the tight turning circle in 4WD!! (10M IIRC)

The tyre shoulders are vulnerable....I'd like a set of wheels with 'commercial' tyres for the ability to get me into trouble :-)).

Ride? Think sports car. (Mx5)

Servicing costs? Well we're all going to be in the same imported boat soon.

Small on the outside, big on the inside.

Fashion....couldn't care less!

• Like 1

I must agree with comments made, especially the Yeti's versatility or as mentioned an all-rounder.

Hi Ryeman, I don't understand what you mean when you stated "If on the otherhand it's to be a 4/5 seater you'll need to be more disciplined than the average Oz." I agree with you about gnarled rocky nature of many tracks and there certainly are some I would never ever consider taking the Yeti.

If you meet the average family size of 2 1/2 kids :-)) and you go on touring hols you'll have to limit your baggage compared to what the average Oz thinks is appropriate.

Most Australians would say it's too small for their full family.

That aside I think you'll love it, unless impressing the neighbours is important.

If you meet the average family size of 2 1/2 kids :-)) and you go on touring hols you'll have to limit your baggage compared to what the average Oz thinks is appropriate.

Most Australians would say it's too small for their full family.

That aside I think you'll love it, unless impressing the neighbours is important.

I actually share your view that the limited boot space just helps to restrict that crap that you'd otherwise pack. We've got 2 kids so I'm hoping we'll be fine.

In the looks department, a key decision point for us in choosing the Yeti was because it was such a unique look. We love that it's unlike anything else out there on the roads at the moment (at least in Australia). Can't wait to get our hands on it.

Thanks for your comments.

As said above, its the overall package that is so good.

Only thing I miss, but have got used to is the boot size. I have the higher floor with spare wheel, and coming from a VW Touran with a huge boot [also Golf based] have needed to re-think how I carry things. I do a lot of woodwork and now have to load the job on the roof and the tools in the car, instead of everything in the car. As the kids are now 20 and 24 they tend not to go out with us, so for everyday use it is more than big enough, and for our 30 days in France this summer we simply took the rear seats out.

Economy is fair, but starts to take a hit over 65mph. Road manners/handling are good, althougfh I found the steering a little light at first. Comfort and visibility are also nice. So far everything also seems well put together. One thing yours will not have is the electrically heated front screen. I have only used this once so far and it was brilliant.

Enjoy, I am sure you will find it worth the wait.

Colin

• Like 1

My favourite features are the heated seats, MDI, active xenon headlights (their focussing and cornering functions amaze me by their effectiveness), the panoramic sunroof and the tight turning circle.

• Like 1

Generally love it all, just 1 minor gripe and its my fault, originally had a Berlingo, I have 2 r/c boats, both around 1.2m oal in boxes, the boxes comfortably sat across the rear seats in the Berlingo, not the yeti, need to transport lengthwise ie front/back, which in turn restricts the space for my rough collie(lassie type)  ---   as earlier my fault!!

But on my 2nd Yeti so proves the car is more important than the dog and the models ;-D

• Like 1

Firstly - it's just great fun to drive, even when you are just pottering around. I don't know why, it just is. It's also distinct, especially so in "Classic" form. Then (at least for me) at 18 months old  it has been 100% reliable and no squeaks or rattles either. The boot floor area can be a little small but as others have said "Think vertically!" and also you have the versatility of the rear seating configurations. Economy isn't wonderful I would agree but it's not that bad (I get 39mpg on mainly short trips) and you have a high seating position, a rear widow you can actually see out of when reversing and decent head and leg room for rear seat passengers so I'll live with that.

Having lived with my Yeti for 18 months I can see why it got its "Car of the Year" awards and great reviews - it's got the balance right between the robustness that the shape suggests and the comfort that, at the end of the day, we all hope for.  

As for the toys - the sunroof is great and Park Assist can occasionally be useful but more often just fun to use. Spare wheel for me is an essential and at some point it might get cold enough here to use the heated windscreen.

It's just a great car for the money.

• Like 1

Check out all the YouTube clips.

Have done them all I reckon! I've watched reviews of the Yeti from countries and in languages I didn't even know existed.

There's no substitute for first hand, real world feedback from people who use the car day to day over an extended period though. So again, thanks to everyone so far for their comments.

Glad to hear a few of you mention the panoramic sunroof. We've optioned that in without seeing one first hand so it's nice to hear that those that have one enjoy it as a feature.

Adelaide in the summer heat, let's know how it goes.

Yeah, will definitely be interesting - hoping the blind will provide decent enough protection, but will have to wait and see.

Sunroof without a doubt (and it's only been autumn / winter since I've had mine).

Cornering Xenons, heated seats (probably not that relevant in Australia), Maxidot (although not specific to the Yeti), headroom (I'm 6'2" and can have my seat well above the lowest setting making for a more comfortable driving position), and probably lost that I haven't discovered yet.

For me, it's the package.

Shape of car, seating position etc, etc.

It goes like a train, holds the road and goes round bends/corners like it's on rails.

It's the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few in my 55 years of driving.

Edited by thingy

For me, it's the package.Shape of car, seating position etc, etc.It goes like a train, holds the road and goes round bends/corners like it's on rails.It's the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned a few in my 55 years of driving.

Same here in almost every respect except age, unless you count my uncle letting me drive his black 'bug' when I was 14. :-)))