Good deed for the day...

muddyboots

On a more serious note, it's quite disturbing how many people will drive by an incident where someone could be hurt and not stop to help.

I think the problem is that the media has spent years trying to terrify people that if they stop to help anyone it'll be a carjacking attempt.

• Like 3

On a more serious note, it's quite disturbing how many people will drive by an incident where someone could be hurt and not stop to help.

This!

On my way home a few months ago, I came across a van parked side on in a tree at the side of the A627 (M)...  He had been there for 10 minutes by his own account and I was the first to stop.  I called the emergency services (although there were no injuries or damage, surprisingly) who attended but only after I advised them he was trying to reverse his van back onto the carriageway...  Police and Highways arrived and I got on my way... I seem to recall the Police being non too pleased with the gent lol

BUT the point remains, when I stopped there was no sign of anybody only the van and his tail lights...

Being a First Aider and as I talk on "First On Scene" for some groups I will always stop, and have done for years.

Plenty of stories, some nice, some not, some that still make me upset.

Good one: coming home from work in the snow 2 years ago I got stopped by one of my local Police who was stood by a BMW 4x4 in a dangerous position in a hedge. Asked if I could pull him out with the Yeti, so strop around the hitch and through his (eventually found) towing eye, and out he pops onto the snowy road. Nice Policeman then reminds him how much a recovery truck would have cost and how much DWDC would cost, and I drove away with a nice blue note!!

I would encourage every one to do a First Aid course, and if possible a First on Scene as well 

• Like 4

Being a First Aider and as I talk on "First On Scene" for some groups I will always stop, and have done for years.

Plenty of stories, some nice, some not, some that still make me upset.

Good one: coming home from work in the snow 2 years ago I got stopped by one of my local Police who was stood by a BMW 4x4 in a dangerous position in a hedge. Asked if I could pull him out with the Yeti, so strop around the hitch and through his (eventually found) towing eye, and out he pops onto the snowy road. Nice Policeman then reminds him how much a recovery truck would have cost and how much DWDC would cost, and I drove away with a nice blue note!!

I would encourage every one to do a First Aid course, and if possible a First on Scene as well

Agree with that, I have to hold an REC qual for my climbing and mountain bike instructors badges, always carry my Mountain Recue kit in the car and used it on more than one occasion.

Nothing new I'm afraid. Years ago I was merging with a dual carriageway on my motorbike and must have hit some diesel at about 70mph. Slid down the road and me and the bike came to a stop in the outside lane. The first 20/30 cars just slowed down tooting their horns at the inconvenience and swerving around me. Luckily I was only walking wounded.

Top work muddy boots.

A few years back, I was sat in a layby eating lunch when a women pulled in with a puncture. I offered help. She had already called the recovery services but was fretting about missing an appointment. So I changed the wheel for her, nipped the nuts up, put all the kit back in the boot and, covered in brake dust, was just in the process of telling her to have the torque checked when she could when the RAC arrived. He jumped out and said "you do realize what you've done is illegal, you are liable if that women has an accident now, have you received training on how to change a wheel etc". So then I found myself apologizing to the grateful & quite bewildered lady for "endangering" her.

I've also been told by a counsel worker (after clearing snow from pavements and gritting the clear surface for the 6 houses either side of us) that I would be liable for prosecution should anyone slip on the prepared surface. My elderly neighbors appreciated it though.

Sorry, but the RAC man was talking through his anal orifice!! Ditto the Council worker.

I agree Graham but it seems to happen more often nowadays. It's either poorly trained H&S persons or ambulance chasers. :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown: 

Fred

Exactly Fred.

I have a standard response to those that mention "H & S doesn't allow..." nowadays, and that is to ask for a copy of their Risk Assessment. Amazing how many haven't actually done one! 

Sorry, but the RAC man was talking through his anal orifice!! Ditto the Council worker.

Unfortunately as much as it may sound like a load of b***ocks it is technically correct.

As has been mentioned if you clear the public footpath outside your house of snow or ice and it refreezes, if anyone slips and hurts themselves you are liable.

Unfortunately as much as it may sound like a load of b***ocks it is technically correct.

As has been mentioned if you clear the public footpath outside your house of snow or ice and it refreezes, if anyone slips and hurts themselves you are liable.

Sorry, but unless you can actually find me the Legislation I will say you are wrong. 

We ran a business for the last 10 years and were actively encouraged to clear the pavement outside our shop. The local Chamber of Trade looked into this supposed "rule" and could find nothing to confirm it.

Over to you!

Only if you did a negligent job in the first place. The HSE have been very clear about this, as have ISOH. Furthermore if you want to play qualifcations top-trumps, my NEBOSH certified wife described this myth in exactly the terms you used in your first sentence - if you did a responsible job of the initial clearing you cannot be held responsible for an act of nature.

• Like 1

Only if you did a negligent job in the first place. The HSE have been very clear about this, as have ISOH. Furthermore if you want to play qualifcations top-trumps, my NEBOSH certified wife described this myth in exactly the terms you used in your first sentence - if you did a responsible job of the initial clearing you cannot be held responsible for an act of nature.

Who mentioned qualifications or top trumps? Not the place to debate but on a final note my HS&E qualification and probably job are/were far higher than NEBOSH.

I did 2 good deeds last week..............

1. I had finished work at 11pm, and was waiting at the bus stop and noticed 2 unopened bottles of budweiser under the bench in the bus shelter.  After checking them carefully, they had not been opened, so I kept them.  There was a young lady/student who appeared moments later, so I explained that I had found the beer, and offered her one of the bottles.

2.  I was in town and on my way somewhere and was just passing the railway station.  A taxi pulled up and a man got out followed by a boy, and I noticed the boy had accidentally dropped some litter on the pavement next to the taxi.  They both rushed towards the station, and as I drew up alongside the taxi, suddenly noticed that the litter was a well folder £5 note, I called the boy back and handed the money to him, and he thanked me for my kindness,and even his father yelled "thank you' towards me.

Both events made me feel good, and wished I could carry on doing things like that.  :)

• Like 2

Well done for stopping and helping, would do the same myself and have done, but finding a car one morning  on it's roof through a hedge with the occupants still in strapped in the front seats sadly both dead, the ambulance crew said the accident must have happened the previous evening, lights would have still been on and visible but sadly no one stopped outcome could have been a lot different for the occupants.    

The other thing that I would say is as hard as it may sound don't put anyone in you car from a accident, I have been told more than once from a friend in the fire and rescue service that a person has put someone who felt OK in their car,  then they have developed neck or back pain.  you all know how they remove someone with suspected spinal or neck injures.  yes they remove the roof of your undamaged car, i'm not joking.  

Some above seems (to me) a bit off subject. Still what the hell do I know.

To those above who stopped, THANK YOU. One day it may be me.

I'm part of the clan that will stop to offer help or make a phone call.

If the up nose persons quote H&S, I make the point, I offered to help not take charge.

• Like 3