Water Leak!

z3r0c00l

Help!!!

after much baling of water and drying out of carpets, I've finally decided that there's still a water leak on my octy :(

I've cleared the compost from the scuttle drains and they now run freely, as do the sunroof ones :) 

After last night's little downpour I think I've narrowed it down to coming in through the front of the passenger footwell through the drain (?) in the bottom of the attached piccy.  only trouble is I have no idea where to look next as this appears to be a pretty substantial piece of metalwork!

thoughts and directions much appreciated :)

Lol. I'm not with the car right now. I Should of thought of that earlier!

It's looking forward/up at the front edge of the passenger footwell, with the soundproofing behind the glovebox pulled back a bit.

That sounds like the standard fault. Grommet to the right of the pollen filter housing (when standing infront of the car, looking at it).

That was my first thought although it seemed tight fitting when i first checked.

Just took it out and all seemed dry behind.

Decided on the safe/prudent thing and slathered both the grommet and gasket under the pollen filter in silicone! Now for it to dry and rain!

Although I haven't experienced it, ensure the pollen filter is fitted and the retaining trim clipped in place.  After that, I believe the entire housing might need re-sealing.

I'll check the doors next, although i think it's coming in further forward.

The pollen filter and grommet are all nicely siliconed now so hopefully there's going to be some rain soon!

normally the pollen filter housing and opposite side (fuse / relay box) only leak because water is building up and overflowing which means the real fault may still be there.

if you still have leak then probably a combination of door membrane split / missing and  drain holes in door blocked allowing water build up and overflowing to footwell. Also door seal can be a culprit too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I think I've found the culprit!

Took off the passenger side arch lining completely and gave the arch a reasonable wash down with soapy water, there was a patch of underbody sealant about halfway up that felt squelchy....peeled back the part that wasn't stuck down and sure enough there was a small hole.  Not sure if it was there since new or if someone had previously repaired some damage, but it looked like it was on a panel join of sorts as there was a small ledge, maybe a few mm deep, that water could sit on.  Needless to say this has now been plugged up and am awaiting a good torrential overnight downpour to triple check before replacing the interior!

• Like 1