W Reg Fabia 1.4 Problems

tommo10

I have just bought a very cheap Fabia to do up for my sisters first car , i was pratically given the car it was that cheap , body wise its in very good condtion but I have a few issues with the electrics and the engine.

Electric wise the passenger window is stuck down , it went down but will not come up with either driver side switch or passenger door switch , also on the drivers side switch the left one for some reason operates the drivers window as the right one does the passenger window , when i press the switch for the passenger window, i can here a relay click when pushing down but nothing when pulling it up.

The horn doesnt seem to work, nor does the central locking, interier light and rear wiper.

The key fob was very tatty and not working so I have a new one on its way so hopefully this will sort out the central locking issue.

Now on to the engine , it seems to take a while to start , although it was running on fumes when I got it, Ive put fresh fuel in , now when running its idle is all over the place and if I pressed the accelerator pedal down it stalled , after it had warmed up abit it would rev but felt like it was restricted and a huge delay in the pedal response.

The eml light is on the dash.

So far I have given it a good service , new plugs, fresh oil, oil filter, fuel filter , air filter ,

I have taken the throttle body off , it wasnt too mucky but ive given it a good clean , greased up the gears unders that black case. I havnt put it back on yet so not sure if the problem has gone but as I said it wasnt very mucky at all.

I was thinking of changing the lambda sesnor or giving it a good soak in coke to see if it cleans it up , as I am trying to get the car on the road on a budget for here, I also have a new coolant senor on its way as this was quite cheap to replace and work a try.

Any more suggestions people?

Thanks in advance

Tom

It won't run properly without the throttle body adaptation, you really need to get VCDS and run a full diagnosis and adapt the throttle body and EGR valve.

You will almost certainly need a new set of plug leads and ECT sensor and possibly a coil pack as well.

You have a lot of faults to work through, try closing the windows using the key in the lock, you'll almost certainly need new electric window switches since they fail commonly.

Report back as you work through things.

Edit: I'm assuming it's a 1.4 16v although it would be ideal if you can confirm this.

Edited by sepulchrave

Hi

Thanks for the replies , I am not sure if it is the 16v , looks like an 8v to honest , what is the ECT sensor? Coil Pack doesnt look to old to be honest , new plugs are in . The old plugs where very black .

I have a obd 2 reader , will this be any good for reading codes on this car?

Cheers

Tom

Hi

Thanks for the replies , I am not sure if it is the 16v , looks like an 8v to honest , what is the ECT sensor? Coil Pack doesnt look to old to be honest , new plugs are in . The old plugs where very black .

I have a obd 2 reader , will this be any good for reading codes on this car?

Cheers

Tom

Tell us the engine code found on the sticker under boot floor carpet. It will be three letters.

The appearance of the coil pack is meaningless, Engine Coolant Temperature sensor = ECT sensor.

OBD2 code reader is better than nothing, tell us any codes found in full please.

Ah right okay , well I have a ECT on its way so that will be replaced when it comes . I will get engine code and let you know what the obd2 reader says.

Cheers

Tom

You can tell if it's the 8 valve as the coil pack fits straight onto the spark plugs. They have no HT leads.

Having trouble reading codes from the car , I have tried 3 different obd2 readers and it won't communicate with the car ,

Update on the windows turns out the switches are faulty , not sure why they have swapped themselves around though , will order new switches and see what happens , still no joy on the central locking , horn and interior light , also no warning on dash when a door is open , these electrical gremlins are worse than my alfas lol

also no warning on dash when a door is open

Mine's an MPI and it doesn't have a door open warning light. Maybe yours doesn't either?

Okay so bit of an update.

After the full service car now runs spot on , changed the coolant sensor as I had already bought one, new middle and back exhaust on, new door switches has sorted the electric windows out, they are still the wrong way though which is strange.

Horn is now working too.

Just need to sort out the central locking and the interior light and its ready for mot.

Any ideas on the central locking? Doesnt work from the key fob or key in the door, as if there is no power getting to the door locks??

Cheers again people for the help

• Like 1

Any ideas on the central locking? Doesnt work from the key fob or key in the door, as if there is no power getting to the door locks??

Check central locking fuse number 49 (15 Amp).

Check for broken wires in the rubber trunking between door and A pillar as this is easy to do.

Also, there are microswitches in the driver's door lock unit which can give trouble. And failed solder joints in the lock unit are not unheard of either.

image.jpg

Cheers for that ,

I have taken out the door lock bit and the rubber on te micro switch isnt there anymore is that badly worn. I have checked voltage at the end off all the wires leading upto the lock and they are all at 6.5 , should they not be higher?

Ive seen a few locks on ebay so Im going to get one and see if it makes a difference , will i did to replace all four doors to get the central locking working?

will i did to replace all four doors to get the central locking working?

It's most likely that it's just the driver's one causing the problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so fitted new lock drivers door , closed the door and it has now locked it and i cant open it :(

Car is booked for mot on Monday and I cant get the drivers door open at all, ive tried all sorts, is there anyway to get it open without cutting the door off??

Okay so fitted new lock drivers door , closed the door and it has now locked it and i cant open it :(

Car is booked for mot on Monday and I cant get the drivers door open at all, ive tried all sorts, is there anyway to get it open without cutting the door off??

Use the key, it should override the electric locking, unless you didn't fit it correctly in which case you're a little bit ****ed.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay update people

Eventually got into the car , made a good working lock out of the old lock and the new one , which was refunded for be faulty , so now central locking works as does the windows with the key.

Took it for an mot and it failed on passenger side front wishbone bush, didnt see this in my checks and my god was it slack, so £27 on a new wishbone arm and job done, car now has a full mot.

Only advisory's where indicator light not orange enough and handbrake cable travel high.

Not bad for a 200 quid skoda , total spend including the car is £501 :)

Tried programming the remote key fob today and it worked for a min whilst in the car and then wouldnt work at all, did the program method loads of times but still didnt work, also tried ressting the service light and that didnt work.

So things i still need to do to make it perfect are

Reset Service Light

Program key fob for remote central locking

Fix the alarm siren

Sort out interior light as this is still not working

Sort out boot opening as it doesnt work at the rear when pressing the button

Find the fault with epc

Any ideas on the above people?

Cheers