spare wheel on a 4x4

crazyj

Hi,

Just bought my Yeti, loving it!

Was wondering about the spare?

It has the 17 inch factory fit alloys with the Dunlop tyres.

It has the factory specified spare which is a 16 inch rim with the 'full size' spare option.

I guess the tyres are sized to have similar diameters but I guess they will not be exact.

Is there a risk of damaging the transmission if I drive for a long distance on the spare?

I am not familiar with the Haldex drive but have a fair bit of experience on older AWD systems where this would cause problems... as well as newer systems where you have to fit a different wheel sensor if you use the spare!

I am guessing it is all good with the Yeti but thought had better check, just in case.

Cheers,

J

Its only slightly different, so isn't a problem. The front and rear diffs are open, as is the coupling under normal driving, so you won't be putting stress on the components. However, you are legally limited to 50mph as the tyres are of differing dimensions. You can get a matching alloy as a spare off ebay if you want to be free of any limitations, though.

I think you are fortunate to have the spare wheel option in your yeti. I continue to drive around without a spare and just have the bottle goo and inflator. I am now seriously looking at the best way of buying the kit to fit a full size spare for my own peace of mind.

The spare as fitted by Skoda is not designed for "long distance use" but is designed to get you to a place where a new tyre can be fitted to the flat wheel, as soon as possible. That is one of the reasons it is speed restricted.

• Like 1

I made it a condition of buying my car from the dealer.

Ian

Same. No spare, no sale. Luck or good fortune have nothing to do with it. If the particular one I am interested in has the useless shaving foam, they can pull the kit out of another one on the forecourt.

Same. No spare, no sale. Luck or good fortune have nothing to do with it. If the particular one I am interested in has the useless shaving foam, they can pull the kit out of another one on the forecourt.

Exactly what the dealer did with mine, though the workshop lad left the goo and compressor in the boot too, result, no more having to use the foot pump when altering tyre pressures for towing the caravan!!

Ian

Guys,

Nearly a week of rain, fog and grim weather commute to work. Loving the Yeti. What a singularly amazing little gem. Makes me smile and surprises other drivers when I have occasion to press "the pedal on the right".

Just the job.

Happy knowing I have the means of self rescue if I have a puncture or a tyre off the rim (it's happened before on an old passat... No amount of goo's gonna fix that).

Eyeing up some chunky rubber but just daydreaming.

Next job: haldex oil change. Dealer to do: £65 quid, not gonna quibble.

Cheers

J

I had two cars with the gunge kit. I got a spare wheel for the Jazz as an option but there wasn't room for a spare on the RAV.

If you have the grunge I suggest you check it out as on the Honda and the RAV it had a use by date!