Re map removal

kevvo

Hi, I have a 2005 1.9 pdi. Octavia. The car has been mapped to around 122 bhp but suffers from poor mpg. I'm thinking about having the map removed and put back to standard 105 bhp. Could the poor mpg be down to bad map and would removal definitely give me back the better mpg ? Or could the map be modified to give me better economy and keep the extra oomph ! Am I totally wrong with my interpretation of this ? Thanks, Kev.

Are your Tyres at correct pressure?

What make are they? A change in tyre can improve economy.

All 4 calipers in good nick and not binding?

Clean air filter?

Correct wheel alignment?

These things can add up and impact on fuel economy.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

A bad map can certainly ruin the mpg and drivability, but so can lots of other things (mostly covered above)

A good remap will give you a slightly better consumption, or you can even get an economy remap to increase it even more.

Who did the remap??

All the maps I have searched on the Internet for a 105 pd are standard 140 bhp and 310 nm of torque and everyone that has had a map cannot stop praising

I would first check all the things about and also get that map removed

Where was the car mapped from ?

Hi, thanks for replies. Tyre pressures ok, don't know about alignment but there's no "sawtoothing" on the tyres. Air and fuel filters recently replaced, brakes aren't binding. Tyres are cheapies, can't remember make. They were on when I got the car and are ready for replacing. No idea who did the map, it was already done. Thought it was quick for a 105 bhp ! Got it booked in at Shark performance for them to look at. Just wanting some info so I can go armed with suggestions for what I want. Not really bothered about going to 140 bhp as per their map. Kev

Hi. Further to my initial post. I had the car at Shark Performance on Wednesday and after reading the ECU they say the car hasn't been mapped. What they say is the Variable vanes on the Turbo are stuck open so this is allowing extra air in and the ECU is compensating by putting in more fuel. Hence the extra horsepower and poor economy I'm getting. So they can either send the Turbo away for cleaning or fit me a Recon unit. Neither options are cheap ! Are any of the "Turbo cleaners" worth a try or am I just throwing more money away ? I don't really fancy the Mr Muscle route, it sounds a bit iffy to me.

Hi. Further to my initial post. I had the car at Shark Performance on Wednesday and after reading the ECU they say the car hasn't been mapped. What they say is the Variable vanes on the Turbo are stuck open so this is allowing extra air in and the ECU is compensating by putting in more fuel. Hence the extra horsepower and poor economy I'm getting. So they can either send the Turbo away for cleaning or fit me a Recon unit. Neither options are cheap ! Are any of the "Turbo cleaners" worth a try or am I just throwing more money away ? I don't really fancy the Mr Muscle route, it sounds a bit iffy to me.

For the cost of £3 it's worth giving Mr Muscle treatment a go before anything else. It really does work.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/243533-the-mr-muscle-vnt-turbo-treatment-thought-we-needed-a-guide-of-sorts/

I suppose you're right.......... in theory. I've had the car since March, how long before that the turbos' been stuck is anyone's guess. Could it be beyond redemption ?

Nice to get a proper check and find out what it was upto, even if the outcome is not a cheap one, at least it explains the poor fuel consumption.

Hi, yeah, I'd sooner get things looked at by people who know what they're doing rather than trying this that and the other.