Roof bars for estate

We're looking for some roof bars for our Octy estate, and can't decide which ones to go for:-

# Cheap bars that we remove when we don't need them

# Flush-fitting aerobars that we leave on all the time (but SWMBO, who is the main driver doesn't want them to ruin the 'look' of the car)

Has anyone got any experiences or photos of the flush-fit bars on an Octy estate (preferably black)?   We're looking at these - 

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php?22017   Are the aero-bars really that quiet when fitted (empty) and what do they look like?

Obviously cost is an issue, but I like the idea of not having the hassle of removal/refitting each time we need them - as I'll be having to swap the roof box from my car each time anyway, and doing that with 2 small children in tow won't be easy at the best of times.   

Thanks,

Sam

I went for Thule square bars, take minutes to fit, stay in the shed when not needed.

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Skoda&model=Octavia&version=II&type=Estate&rails=with-roof-rails&modelYear=2008-to-2012&id=21

Couldn't see the point of expensive aero bars. You also don't need to shell out on expensive t track accessories to fit things like bike racks etc.

Wind resistance is not a consideration IMHO.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

even aero bars will increase your mpg.

Plenty of Thule bars on ebay, other than length they're pretty much all thr same. Get the bars second hand and buy the feet.

T-track accessories for our existing box cost about £20 so not really an issue.

Yes, but will it be measurable?   I have cheap (square) bars and a roof box on my Fiesta semi-permanently, and measure approx 1-2mpg difference between having them on and 'clean'.   I assume that just the bars (esp. aero-bars) on a more powerful car will be negligible?  Its more the noise that we're worried about...

I have the ones you linked to. They are very discreet and you would barely notice them when on. I have permanently attached to bolts for my roofbox to mine which is the only reason I take them off when not in use.

They are silent up to normal motorway speeds and fit really easy.

Whilst not the cheapest, I would say they are one of the best.

Plenty of Thule bars on ebay, other than length they're pretty much all thr same. Get the bars second hand and buy the feet.

I don't worry about mpg tbh!

If you only ever carry a roof box aero bars may make some sense, if you carry bikes, ladders etc they are a bit pointless. Anything odd shaped is going to affect your fuel consumption more than the bars they sitting on

If we are honest carrying stuff on the roof is not conducive to good mpg, the difference between bars is hair and fur to me - except for the price!

T-track accessories for our existing box cost about £20 so not really an issue.

Yes, but will it be measurable? I have cheap (square) bars and a roof box on my Fiesta semi-permanently, and measure approx 1-2mpg difference between having them on and 'clean'. I assume that just the bars (esp. aero-bars) on a more powerful car will be negligible? Its more the noise that we're worried about...

This was the post I meant to quote. See my last post....

I find it a faff fitting the roof box to the bars, so I have cheap Lidl roof bars that stay permanently attached to the roof box, even when it is off the car. 

This works for me as I never carry anything else on the roof bars, but might not be ideal for someone who also carries bikes etc on their roof bars. 

I find it a faff fitting the roof box to the bars, so I have cheap Lidl roof bars that stay permanently attached to the roof box, even when it is off the car.

This works for me as I never carry anything else on the roof bars, but might not be ideal for someone who also carries bikes etc on their roof bars.

We went for a Thule Pacific 700

http://www.thule-car-roof-boxes.co.uk/thule-pacific/thule-pacific-700.htm

The fast fit kit is excellent, no messing about with u-bolts etc.

Not the cheapest but very user friendly and good quality kit.

We use Atera aero bars with 3 bike carriers and they're very good. Only takes 5 mins to remove even with the bike carriers in place. As for noise they all generate a certain amount of noise it's just something you have to accept. 

I've just been to Scotland and back with the bike on the rack and didn't notice it at all, maybe I'm use to it. Mpg was late 30s low 40s but then I have a lead foot  :rofl: and 4 in the car.

You still looking? I've got some now redundant aero whispbars that were on my Octavia estate - the flush fitting type. I've sold the car and was about to ebay them, but pm if you're interested. 

They looked so good I never took them off!

Edited by stever750

I have Prorack x-bars permanently fixed to the roof box. Easy to lift the box with bars onto the rails, align it and bolt on lower clamps.

Low fitting looks good, especially with the compact box.

post-123248-0-98266700-1417072401_thumb.jpg

I have Prorack x-bars permanently fixed to the roof box. Easy to lift the box with bars onto the rails, align it and bolt on lower clamps.

Low fitting looks good, especially with the compact box.

I like the low fitting of yours.

Its the only complaint I could have of my setup. I'm 5'7” so have to stand on the sill step to reach the center of my box.

The raised 4x4 suspension doesn't help either!

The stance is perfect! The box is wide, low and short and tucks in very well between the rails. The only problem was that the aerial must be removed, giving poor radio reception. There wasn't enough space for it, nor inside the box. Therefore I bought a DAB conversion unit with glue-on aerial on the windscreen. Works well!

I use a Citroen c1 aerial on mine with the box fitted, my tmc reception plays up a bit, no probs with radio 5 as the aerial for that is in the osr passenger window.

I'm not surprised you have to go with no aerial looking at your photo!

I have the Lidl bars, they live in the garage roof most of the time anyway.

Had some pukka OEM ones for my Fabia vRS, paid full whack for them, used once then sold after 7 years for bargain price just to move them out of my garage.

Hence the cheaper option this time.

Depends how much they'll get used and what for I guess.

One more picture, and I will stop. The bars are the cheaper square profiles of steel, not the alu wing bars. For me it is more than good enough as they are only used with the box. For me it's the box that causes the extra fuel consumption and wind noise. I can't say that I know the difference, it is on the car for winter season only (that's different conditions and driving style anyway).

post-123248-0-41727300-1417253540_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Anyone know what bars will fit a 55 plate octavia estate with integrated roof rails? Thule recommended 961 wing bars and 757 foot pack but its a good 5 or so mm too short! Been in touch and after a few emails and phone call they have told me they dont support my model. Any one got experience or been through this hassle before?