Wet boot? Wet parcel shelf and wet headrest

Hi.

As my title suggests.

I have some water getting in, the left and right rear head rests are a bit damp. Where the parcel shelf meets the headrests is damp and the bottom of my boot in wet. No water in the spare wheel well.

Is this a common problem anyone can help with please?

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damp headrests suggest the level of water ingress mush be pretty high.

Aerial, roof rails/rack mounting mounts or sunroof drain pipe failure.  Any water stains on the ceiling or feeling of dampness?

It's just the rear headrests appears water has dropped on to them. The sunroof is clear etc. I've checked all the usual places. Will check the tailgate struts. And c pillar welds. That sounds more like the area.

I went to have a dig around earlier and I saw a drop of water on the plastic trim right at the rear of the headliner, un clipped it but couldn't see any water above it and the rubber boots where the wiring harnesses go through are fine.

It's just the rear headrests appears water has dropped on to them. The sunroof is clear etc. I've checked all the usual places. Will check the tailgate struts. And c pillar welds. That sounds more like the area.

I went to have a dig around earlier and I saw a drop of water on the plastic trim right at the rear of the headliner, un clipped it but couldn't see any water above it and the rubber boots where the wiring harnesses go through are fine.

I am still going for either blocked sun roof drain points, or poor / leaking rubber roof ariel mount .

Easy to replicate by pouring water down drain channels in sun roof and or around ariel 

Or maybe the actual rubber tailgate seal. check the for split's etc. I had a poor seal and water managed to drip at ends on the plastic quarter panels.

I fixed that by replacing seal and adding tiger seal into the channel before i seated the new seal. 

Also i spent ages finding another leak which was a poor weld under the roof rails plastic trim. I replicated that by pouring water down the roof channel to back of car / tailgate and could see water running into boot again past rear quarter panels. I coated the roof channel in hamerite and that cured it. Have a thread on that somewhere will try and find it. 

If it were tailgate strut  weld joints you would get water much lower down in boot and to the edges and not on headrest

• Like 1

Hi.

As my title suggests.

I have some water getting in, the left and right rear head rests are a bit damp. Where the parcel shelf meets the headrests is damp and the bottom of my boot in wet. No water in the spare wheel well.

Is this a common problem anyone can help with please?

Ben

Is the rear washer working on the wiper? 

I have known the hose/unions separate when there's a blockage, and if there's a joint above the headlining it'll cause the symptoms you have.

What route does the rear washer pipe take? Does it go that way or does it stay along the bottom of the car?

If I recall the wash / wipe pipe routes  to the passenger side of car roof lining and to rear quarter panel then through tailgate

Does it simply pull off as you suggest? Guess it's just one of those double edged grommets.

No sorry, not quite that simple.

You need to drop the headliner down at the back, disconnect the antenna cable and then undo the big nut to remove the antenna base. silicone around the grommet and re-assemble.

Not too bad of a job tbh, took me around 20mins. Just be careful of the clips that hold all the plastic trims on around the headliner.

Thank you. When I get a chance I'll get to it. I'll let you know if it does the job. What silicone do you recommend.

Personally you should not need to use sealant around there. You should just ensure the rubber seal is intact. If not replace. Sealant just masks the real issue.

Also first prove that the ariel is the issue as you will be sealing lots before you may get to the real cause.

Thank you. When I get a chance I'll get to it. I'll let you know if it does the job. What silicone do you recommend.

Just used black silicone. Mine was obvious as there was visable signs of water under the gasket, it should be dry there.

Obviously, theres various ways of sealing it, personally even with a new antenna I'd use a smear of silicone just to be certain its sealed.

If the antenna rubber seal is perished or damaged then at that point you may as well replace

• Like 1

I have a aerial base off a MkI Octavia estate if your interested? Seal is fine, as is the 'O' ring. Never leaked when on the car and the only reason why I changed it was I couldn't get the mast off the base. So ordered a new one and after changing it managed to get the mast off lol. e892db0408a46034a9256d0dbea0d8f5.jpg