Starter motor noisy noise

gixer711

Its probably a common fault but sometimes my starter let's out a scream of pain on start up. I've been told that even if i put a new one on it will only last 6 months which seems strange ? Before i slip a new one in is there anything i can do to prolong the life ?

Is it a high pitched sound that stops shortly after the engine starts? If that is the case, the starter must be taken apart, cleaned up and greased well with high temp red grease. This did the trick for me for one year and counting.

Recording the problem and uploading to YT will help.

Who told you a new one would only last six months?? As above if the noise is what I think it is the heat drives the grease out and they go dry take it apart and grease it up before its knackered (I previously found with a couple that they seem to get worse in cold weather??)

is this an easy job? for the average home mechanic?

Airbox and battery need to come out AFAIK. I got that far then couldn't actually remove the starter motor due to difficult access to the bolts and my allen keys not being that good. Mine has made the noise for 3 years and hasn't actually got any worse.