steering noise sorted under warranty

PFE1

Just over 11.000 miles groaning/graunching noise appeared when turning steering at very low speed (pulling away). Happened especially when turning the steering clockwise. took car into dealer who said that the grease on the joints in the steering rack arms had dried out. I have read somewhere that some units may have left the factory with no grease! Anyway, new steering arms replaced under warranty and noise cured. What was a bit strange was that i receieved no paper work documenting what was done/changed. I know everything goes on the electronic service database but I do wonder if Skoda don't want to advertise the problem. :x  Apart from this hic up car has been faultless. :happy:

Just over 11.000 miles groaning/graunching noise appeared when turning steering at very low speed (pulling away). Happened especially when turning the steering clockwise. took car into dealer who said that the grease on the joints in the steering rack arms had dried out. I have read somewhere that some units may have left the factory with no grease! Anyway, new steering arms replaced under warranty and noise cured. What was a bit strange was that i receieved no paper work documenting what was done/changed. I know everything goes on the electronic service database but I do wonder if Skoda don't want to advertise the problem. :x Apart from this hic up car has been faultless. :happy:

What year is your car mate?

Thanks for the heads up.

I've got a 2013 model which has just dont 14,000 miles.

• Like 1

What year is your car mate?

Thanks for the heads up.

I've got a 2013 model which has just dont 14,000 miles.

I've had it from new from December 2013- 63 plate.

Cheers fella. I've got about 4 months of warranty left so i need to have an extra sharp ear haha.

The noise was quite distinctive and was only audible at very low speed/ a sort of creaking/graunching when turning the wheel. I would think that if you've not suffered it yet and have covered significant miles, you're probably OK and were one of the lucky ones that got a greased unit from new!!!!!

• Like 1

Can I ask if an owner needs to go through Skoda UK with this, as in the process they maybe followed with an engine change whereby they get a case number and handler etc or are they ok to take the car to the Skoda dealer without going via Skoda UK?

I'm afraid I think I have the same problem, only ever hear what I said sounded like a power steering noise when turning full clockwise at slow speed, which I do at the top of street to burl car around to come back down and park. Heard it a week or so ago, and have heard it since.

I thought I was being over sensitive as well.

If it was not there before the Engine change it will be down to the garage that fitted the new engine.

But speak with the Skoda UK CS Handler 

'Caroline will be well pleased'.

It has not been uncommon among cars that did get replacement engines.

Or as Tom Jones sang.

It is no unusual!

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Can I ask if an owner needs to go through Skoda UK with this, as in the process they maybe followed with an engine change whereby they get a case number and handler etc or are they ok to take the car to the Skoda dealer without going via Skoda UK?

I'm afraid I think I have the same problem, only ever hear what I said sounded like a power steering noise when turning full clockwise at slow speed, which I do at the top of street to burl car around to come back down and park. Heard it a week or so ago, and have heard it since.

I thought I was being over sensitive as well.

Hi, I just took mine into main dealer and left it with them to check out. they then had to order the parts which took a few days and then the car went back in for the @3 hour job. I didn't have to sign any documents apart from the booking in form and as I did not receive any paperwork I don't know what the process was in relation to Skoda UK, but i'm guessing that the main dealer knows about this problem and that mine was not the first one they have seen with this problem,

• Like 1

Glad PFE1 posted this, I too have noticed this very problem on our latest Fabia special edition - now 1 year old. Thought it was me being too fussy and that it would settle down and go away after a time, but no its still there.

Low speed manouvering and going over to lock, sounds like something is intermittently slipping/juddering , I thought it might be something like the rack moving in some sort of sticky rubber mount.

Now I know, yet another uphill battle to convince the dealer (they are not very receptive to customer reported issues)

Just over 11.000 miles groaning/graunching noise appeared when turning steering at very low speed (pulling away). Happened especially when turning the steering clockwise. took car into dealer who said that the grease on the joints in the steering rack arms had dried out. I have read somewhere that some units may have left the factory with no grease! Anyway, new steering arms replaced under warranty and noise cured. What was a bit strange was that i receieved no paper work documenting what was done/changed. I know everything goes on the electronic service database but I do wonder if Skoda don't want to advertise the problem. :x  Apart from this hic up car has been faultless. :happy:

My monte carlo had the exact same issue... Working for TRW (who manufacture the racks) I knew something was up within the first few weeks of owning the car. Took it in to Skoda and got both Track Rods replaced, noise cured!

Thanks for the heads up on these steering issues heard it on my 2013 monte just thought it was me being fussy booked it in at progress skoda letchworth today for waranty work in few weeks time great guys at progress recomend them

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Just had the same thing I explained to the service desk at skoda and the guy recons it's the track rod ends it, s a known fault.

He said he has had a few in mine goes in on friday.

my car is now out of warrenty but I've got the same symptoms as last time track rod ends noise when turning clockwise at low speed. This will be the 3rd sett will the work they done last time still be under warranty?

Ive had two sets of steering rods fitted under warranty, the last only 5 months after the first. I asked about warranty on the repair, they said there is none beyond the initial car warranty as I didnt pay for it.

First time theyve seen a replacement fail they said - Yeah I bet.

Next failure and no more Skodas.

Ive had two sets of steering rods fitted under warranty, the last only 5 months after the first. I asked about warranty on the repair, they said there is none beyond the initial car warranty as I didnt pay for it.

First time theyve seen a replacement fail they said - Yeah I bet.

Next failure and no more Skodas.

I'm booking my car in for a service sometime this week looks like I'm gonna have to pay for new track rod ends this time. I can't see how as this is a known fault that I have already had fixed under warranty. What's the going rate for new track rod ends at the dealers ? Edited by firefox2

Why not go to a reputable independant?

Make save you a few quid and they might do a better job too.

I might just do that i thought with them haveing replaced the trak rods already they might be coverd under there 2 year guarantee on repairs either that or as it's been fully serviced at the main dealer I could try for a goodwill gesture as it's a known issue? I will give them a phone see what they say

Mine seems to do the same, whenever I go to set off on a journey after not using it since the previous day it'll creak between the front wheels whenever I slightly turn my wheel to pull out and away, but if I come back and then go out in it again say a few hours later it won't do it.

Edited by Skyl1n3

Mines made this noise for a while now when turning anti-clockwise at parking speed. I took it to the dealer and they knew about the issue, but after checking mine they said they couldn't hear it and that mine wasn't one of the affected vehicles. Noise has got worse recently though, so I'm gonna take it back again and hopefully they can hear it this time.

Mines made this noise for a while now when turning anti-clockwise at parking speed. I took it to the dealer and they knew about the issue, but after checking mine they said they couldn't hear it and that mine wasn't one of the affected vehicles. Noise has got worse recently though, so I'm gonna take it back again and hopefully they can hear it this time.

Thats convenient isnt it...