BRAKE LIGHTS STAYING ON.....LOSING POWER IN 1ST & 2ND WHEN COLD

LeezoG

Morning all, So yesterday I got in my car and drove home from work took a quick stop to fill her up and noticed my brake lights were staying on even with ignition off, and me out of the car...If i pull the brake pedal up it goes off but when let go the lights come back on. I can pull the brake pedal all the way up past a "CLICK" and the lights go out and work as normal....But the brake pedal is set about 6 inches higher than it should be. What we thinking..Brake light switch??

Also, Since the weather has got colder I find when cold the Car when in 1st or 2nd will sometimes lose all power. and trundle along on its own with no response from accelerator. If i release accelerator and press again it picks up and works as normal. Happens more when cold. So hoping its just the cold weather. Any suggestions?

Cheers all.

It does sound like the brake light switch either needs replacing or adjusting, ive heard sometimes this can cause limp mode symptoms as the ecu thinks the brake is on.

also might be worth giving the maf a quick clean, cold weather means air is more dense if the ecu cant pick that up the engine might be running a bit rich and laggy.

• Like 1

It does sound like the brake light switch either needs replacing or adjusting, ive heard sometimes this can cause limp mode symptoms as the ecu thinks the brake is on.

also might be worth giving the maf a quick clean, cold weather means air is more dense if the ecu cant pick that up the engine might be running a bit rich and laggy

Cheers for the reply Rich, Yea does feel like limp mode when it loses the power, But no lights or anything come on the dash? Not sure if they supposed to when it happens tho. But yea I got a new brake light switch on order, Hopefully its the switch causing the power loss. Once engine warms up it seems to be less. Tho don't stop it completely :(. EGR was coming off do a c lean this weekend anyways so might aswell give the MAF a going over too :D

Edited by LeezoG

Id allow a bit more than ten min, taking lower dash off is easy its the technique fitting the switch that is a pain.

you have to twist it so far to adjust it then twist it slightly again to lock it.

When i did mine i was scared of breaking it.

• Like 1

Update for everyone. Changed brake light switch. Literally plug and play and took me about half hour. Brake light snow work perfectly. Also the power loss issue has gone too. Assuming the duff switch was putting the the car into limp mode. Thanks for all the replies! 

Till next time!