Lowering mk1 fabia - advice!

Loz

Hello there. So, blufabi has gone for it's alloys to be refurbed today, as my tyres are letting air out, and they are coming back white :/

I have always wanted white alloys but I'm also scared of changing anything so I feel a bit nervous too! Eek!

Anyway, it's completely standard and 7 years old so probably in need of a bit of 'pimping' so to speak! If it's lucky, I might even get the drivers door panel beaten where some unspeakable ****er drove into it while I was parked up a few years back. Grr.

I'm my thinking of lowering it a bit as if I'm drawing attention to the wheels even more then I figure it could do with sitting nicely on them.

I'd like a bit of information from those who have done it or have the knowledge as to which springs are best, what sort of price it would be and how much difference it's likely to make regarding insurance.

If I go really mad I might even get it remapped! Again - same sort of info required here :)

Any other suggestions of what I can do to it? :D

If not done already I'd upgrade the front brakes to 312mm, nice stopping power and fill out the inside of the wheels nicely. At least before any power upgrades IMO.

Depending on your insurance company the springs won't have that much of an affect on your premium, well shouldn't do anyway. Various kits out their depending how serious you want to go although the AP kit, springs and dampers, is supposed to be a good balance between handling and comfort. I've not tried them so cannot comment for sure.

The chip will have the most affect on your premium, a decent company, won't put it up too much and there a lot of suppliers out their. Shark, Fabooka etc. all touting for business with good reps.

Other modifications... window guards, some like others not, LCR front splitter again opinions vary. I'd look at a few Fabias and see what they have done and more importantly what you like about them.

If your just looking for springs the Eibach kit will be a good choice at a decent price. I think it was also an option from the dealer.

If you are changing the springs at 7 years old, the shocks could probably be due too? Oem or bilstein b4/b8 dampers will be a good choice to go with the Eibach springs.

You'll probably need to renew top mounts and bearings and bump stops while everything's apart

• Like 1

+1 on the Eibach springs. You can run them on the standard dampers IF they are ok but some people prefer to change them too, but it does cost a fair bit more. 

I'd also recommend looking at changing the wishbone console bushes for the Cupra or powerflex ones. While your at it you could also replace the strut top mount/bearings seeing as the struts have to come off to fit the springs, it saves doing it again afterwards should they go. Then you can check the drop links for play, the anti-roll bar bushes oh and the rubber rear spring mount sometimes perish as well so could be worth looking at. 

If it was me I'd change the lot, my train of thought is it's pointless getting after market suspension components such as springs, dampers etc if your going to pair these with 7+ year old bushes and drop links. I usually find eBay rather good for components. Just beware of cheap and nasty brands and you can't go far wrong. 

Eibach Springs

Cupra Console Bush OR Powerflex Bush

Front Strut Top Mounts

• Like 1

Springs and dampers....

A modest 25-30mm drop does enough to even out the shadows around the arches. There's the Eibach route, with Koni FSDs or other (Bilstein B8 maybe ) dampers. Or do KW springs with similar damper choices. Would definitely do the console bushes if they haven't been changed and upgraded.

Remap - Faboka (forum member)? Or Shark maybe?

Would suggest getting insurance quotes first. If nothing else, modding reduces the insurer pool and probably means you can't use cashback sites.

J.

I'm not rushing into a remap, just wanting to make it look nice again for now, especially if I can get the door sorted. Will be a pain having to ring insurance every time I want to change, but just lowering it can't make a huge difference in price, surely....

Another one here running Bilstein B8's with eibachs, ride quality is excellent, high speed damping is very controlled and the ride height is subtle, not on its arse. Retains all the usability of the standard car but ups the game at speed.

Like above, replace all the other consumables with new Gen stuff and you wont go wrong. I fitted PSB poly console bushes in mine and rate them highly.

I've been thinking the same too about getting mine lowered as the more i read about springs and coilovers the more I notice the massive gap between the arches.

Im leaning towards getting AP shocks and springs as i dont want it too lowered as the roads around here are really crappy and they've been getting pretty good reviews on here.