like buses

Blinking problems!!

Think my 12 month old thermostat has gone pop! This morning the car would only register around 70 driving home it got up to 80.

Weird thing is, if I let idle it won't go up to 90???

One thing I did which may be a coincidence is topping up the coolant.

Any other ideas??

Temp sensor failure on the gauge output usually causes sudden erratic needle swings or no gauge at all. Described symptoms are classic for a stuck open stat. Was the stat you fitted 12 months ago genuine VAG?

I found a genuine one on ebay for £16.99 today. Will have to inspect it for authenticity when it turns up. Go on skodaparts to get the part no and then stick it in ebay. Genuine ones seem to all start around the £15 mark. Its the little spec of green on the right hand side of the engine just under that lower plastic engine cover? How easy is it to change, haynes says something about draining coolant, I heard rumours of a cheat method.

Thermostat on my Fabia wasn't much harder than the temp sender to change. You do have to drain some coolant though. Not done it on the Octy, but I can't imagine it's that much different.

Edited by samj2013

Blinking problems!!

Think my 12 month old thermostat has gone pop! This morning the car would only register around 70 driving home it got up to 80.

Weird thing is, if I let idle it won't go up to 90???

One thing I did which may be a coincidence is topping up the coolant.

Any other ideas??

My Tdi (ASV engine) has done exactly the same this week. I dont know where you live but the temp here was -2 the beggining of this week so I was expecting it to run a bit cooler, I am still getting 54MPG (according to the computer) and the heater is still blowing in nice hot air so I am going to live with it......If the outside temp drops below -10 in the coming weeks I may change my mind and have to get the wallet and tools out though!!