Dog crates and roof boxes

Fabienne

Hello I'm new to the forums, this is my first post.

I'm dithering about whether a Yeti is the right car for me and so hope to get some help from others here from your experiences and knowledge! I'm also considering the Octavia Scout, although there don't seem to be many (used) ones about.

I have two dogs that I like to put in a crate in the car rather than use a dog guard. Labrador & collie. They need a crate with a divider. I'm just not sure that I can fit something big enough, even with the back seats down or removed as it doesn't seem to leave a flat surface. The car would have a spare wheel. Does anyone have two similar sized dogs that you crate - does it work OK and if so could you recommend a crate supplier/model? 

Also I've used a roof box on previous cars (estate cars) - do they work fine with a Yeti as well?

Thank you!

I can't answer on the dog crates (I suspect hens and gerbils wouldn't make an accurate comparison) but a roof box works fine with a Yeti. Obviously it's a little higher up than on a typical estate, but standing on the back wheel (making good use of that big arch gap) means it's not an issue. This is a Kamei Delphin 380 litre box that at least a couple of us on here have, with the official Skoda roof bars. I think some people have had issues with certain box/bar combinations where the panoramic sunroof has been fitted, but I believe it's fine with the Skoda bars.

gallery_80615_568_118074.jpg

I use a roof box on my Yeti and was surprised how little it affects the handling, so "tick" in that respect. As for the dog crates, I don't use them and now I only have a single Golden Retriever to travel in the back. She's fine (despite my wife insisting that because her nose can reach on side whilst her tail reaches the other she is squashed!) but occasionally I do take a friend's dog (similar size) and it begins to look a little cosy. I wouldn't be happy with two large dogs in crates in the available space with the back seats up, but my dogs have always tended to be a bit spoilt! With the back seats out I would have thought you would be fine and with the spare wheel option I would have thought it pretty easy to fabricate a level floor that you could take in and out with the crates. But then you might just as well opt for a car with the bigger load area that you are looking for. (Heavens, have I just implied that you NOT buy a Yeti; that will be my membership revoked).

Martin, thank you, thats really helpful. Nice photo too!

Weasley thanks for the link, lots of useful information and photos on there, much appreciated!

Thanks Paul52 for your helpful reply.Dont worry, I was already dithering and will give it some more thought!

Thanks again for the help.

Hi Fabienne,

We got a GSD cross puppy back in June but we opted to get a reasonably large one that she could grow into.  The particular one we chose was this one - linky  We went for the large size, 91x61x71cm which is plenty big for Bella who's now 8 months old and pretty much fully grown.  This particular crate fits perfectly into the boot once you move the rear seats fully forward on their rails.  You have about 2cm to spare on either side.  As far as I know you can get a divider for this crate, but it would also definitely be worth checking to make sure both doggies fit before purchasing.  Hope this helps...

This might be useful to you, the seats were still up, just the parcel shelf removed and theres still room for this large dog crate in the boot.  The back seats when folded down are a pain, they dont go flush with the boot, and so you end up with things sliding around (leather seats also seem to mark when left folded down)

125hpgp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is also my first post :) 

I've wanted a Yeti since they first came out, but always thought they were too small for my 2 flat coated retrievers. Current car is an 05 Astra estate with a custom built Barnesbrook crate. Have finally decided that as we only take them on holiday for 3 weeks a year that I will get a Yeti Urban and use my roof box on it when we go on holiday.

Went to look at a couple of Yeti's, fiddle around with the seats etc, and decided that one without a spare wheel is the best bet, as then when seats are folded or removed it makes an almost flat floor for a crate, and we need the headroom as they are tall dogs. Going to buy a large crate off ebay/Amazon for £44 and put it in lengthways  - I like the fact that the Yeti tailgate is very upright, so a standard rectangular crate will fit. This is partly why I haven't replaced the Astra yet - the newer model as well as most other estates have very sloped tailgates, even the Octavia couldn't actually fit my crate in. As there are only 2 of us humans, we don't need the back seats, just use them for luggage, so the roof box should solve that problem. 

Not having a spare wheel doesn't bother me - I've been driving around with a crate on top of mine for 9 years so wouldn't even be able to get to it if I needed to if I had the dogs in there :)